Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Ignore on.
Is that a command to the rest of us, or merely a statement of action on your part?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Is that a command to the rest of us, or merely a statement of action on your part?
Statement of action ... similar to Rant on or Rant off.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Statement of action ... similar to Rant on or Rant off.
It may be words of wisdom to the rest of us, as well, though!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
well buddy to take you own words and ruling you must understand that the language is absolutely clear that it only applies to that situation. you can not extrapolate it to any other situation. it is cut and dried. you are guilty of erroneous interpretation. there is a latin phrase for it. something along the lines of using arguments for issue A to prove issue B.

hope that clears up any confusion on your part (m guy)
Well, no it doesn't. I gave the man an answer and verifacation on how to make the call he had a question about. That's what this site is all about right? It seems you've interjected your OPINION with no fact. The intent was to address THAT situation, which it did. As with the others who disagree I'm open to hearing your factual, rule book verifiable, information on the matter if you can get past your OPINION. Speaking of adages, here's one. If you can't convince them with fact, baffle them with Bull.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigoP View Post
No I can't which is confusing to me too. The original post was a fed question. If a batter hits the ball in fair ground somewhere in front of the plate and comes out of the box running to 1st with 1 foot out of box and has contact is it foul or fair. If 1 foot is out of box and on the ground and the runner contacts ball she is out. She has been hit by a batted ball before it passed a fielder. Out.
Well, you've made progress in admitting you're confused. Now you just need to go further and realize that everyone else is not confused so you've got to make the extra effort to understand if you don't want to seem like a troll. [I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here, though I agree with others that the evidence is pretty significant against you.] The rule states that a batter out of the box is out if she contacts a ball. The only question is what constitutes out of the box. You've cited a different rule which talks about how one has to be in the box to take a pitch and how one can be called out for hitting the ball if one foot is outside the box on the ground.
You extrapolate from that the definition of outside the box is to have one foot outside the box.
Others point out that the extrapolation you make isn't supported by rule or case book play. Many people enforce it that way and it's reasonable but it's not supported by rule. Others take different extrapolations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigoP View Post
I think what the original question refered to is do both feet have to be out of box to be considered out of box. You've seen the rule cites from NFHS book I cited determining what constitute out of box. 1 foot out is out of box. I've asked repeatedly for a rule to the opposite but can't get one. I think they think I'm wrong because they say so.
No one is suggesting that what you are saying is contravened by rule. They are saying it isn't supported by rule. Since they don't contend there is such a rule, you asking for it makes you seem trollish or dumb. To recap the argument as it plays out to the disinterested third party:

You: This other rule defines being in the box and out of the box as it relates to batting.
Them: Yes, but this is a different rule that doesn't pick up that definition.
You: Show me a rule that says I'm wrong, here is the rule I mentioned. Why don't you all read the rules?
Them: Yes, that is a different rule and that doesn't apply to this rule.
You: Show me a rule that says I'm wrong, here is the rule I mentioned. Why don't you all read the rules? You obviously all hate the rule book.

And with that I will withdraw from the discussion. You can learn and change or I'll put you on ignore like everybody else already has.
________
Water Bongs

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:31pm.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

i now ignore mr illogical.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Well, you've made progress in admitting you're confused. Now you just need to go further and realize that everyone else is not confused so you've got to make the extra effort to understand if you don't want to seem like a troll. [I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here, though I agree with others that the evidence is pretty significant against you.] The rule states that a batter out of the box is out if she contacts a ball. The only question is what constitutes out of the box. You've cited a different rule which talks about how one has to be in the box to take a pitch and how one can be called out for hitting the ball if one foot is outside the box on the ground.
You extrapolate from that the definition of outside the box is to have one foot outside the box.
Others point out that the extrapolation you make isn't supported by rule or case book play. Many people enforce it that way and it's reasonable but it's not supported by rule. Others take different extrapolations.

No one is suggesting that what you are saying is contravened by rule. They are saying it isn't supported by rule. Since they don't contend there is such a rule, you asking for it makes you seem trollish or dumb. To recap the argument as it plays out to the disinterested third party:

You: This other rule defines being in the box and out of the box as it relates to batting.
Them: Yes, but this is a different rule that doesn't pick up that definition.
You: Show me a rule that says I'm wrong, here is the rule I mentioned. Why don't you all read the rules?
Them: Yes, that is a different rule and that doesn't apply to this rule.
You: Show me a rule that says I'm wrong, here is the rule I mentioned. Why don't you all read the rules? You obviously all hate the rule book.

And with that I will withdraw from the discussion. You can learn and change or I'll put you on ignore like everybody else already has.
Time out, the rule or case book he cited specifically states that this applies to purposes of a batter being in the box for a pitch. This clearly limits what it can apply for. the authors of the rule book intend for these words to have an extremely limited extension. You can not logically infer, imply or get any other meaning from it.

i would say you are a guy who when presented with the following will make the incorrect deduction.

Teacher: I have a bag of candy.
Teacher: Some of the candy is hard. Note:t It is given that this is a true statement.
Teacher: Some of the candy is soft. Class, is this statement a true, false or not enough info statement
M guy: It is soft.
Teacher. Sorry, I have made no mention what the other some is. You can not make a valid determination.
Softball authors. They did the same exact thing with the batter in the box for pitching or whatever it is. We have made a some definition of what being in the box is. We have not told you what the other some or somes is or are.
Us. Does that make it clear and concise. Do you see the logic?
Holmes: Elementary my dear Watson.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

He's a troll

I sent and exchanched a few private messages with MingoP.
He offered to prove to me that he was "who he says he was" and not a troll.
When I told him that I would take him at his word and asked for the infor he offered;
His UIC, Assignor, State Director, etc
He got suddenly very quiet.

He bragged to me that he was "pre-booked" for a year. (Pre-booked being my word for his claim)

I offered to him my private email to carry the discussion with and he now won't reply at all.

If you guys want to see what he had to say which ended up being nothing much more than ineffective chest pounding, just let me know.

I am done with this guy.
He is a fraud, a wannabe.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

Smile

WOW what a thread! Here's my take on it. Whatever you call just don't shout out... "HIT HER IN THE BOX".
Old Fri Aug 27, 2010, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef View Post
WOW what a thread! Here's my take on it. Whatever you call just don't shout out... "HIT HER IN THE BOX".
Let's just let that saying drop. It has been brought up here so many times now already. There has to be a new saying out there. Dave