Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Our litigious society . . . $5 million for a broken finger

Brooklyn Softball Player Sues NYC
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
Bull! This is the parents looking for a windfall.

There is no doubt the coach, and in turn, the school was negligent, but I'm curious as to the mother's medical qualifications to "treat" the injury.

Why did she hesitate in taking her daughter for proper medical treatment?
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Shame on the coach and the lawyer.
Old Wed Aug 04, 2010, 06:00am
Official Forum Member

If they have witnesses to the coach's statement, and/or if when disposed the coach confirms that is exactly what he said....they'll get a settlement. It won't be $5M, but it will be substantial, especially if there is a permanent lose of mobility in the finger.
Old Wed Aug 04, 2010, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
If they have witnesses to the coach's statement, and/or if when disposed the coach confirms that is exactly what he said....they'll get a settlement. It won't be $5M, but it will be substantial, especially if there is a permanent lose of mobility in the finger.
Then again, I would love to know exactly how the player reacted. Was her reaction of exteme, sharp pain or that of a whiney complaint? Does the player have a history or exaggeration or complaints over minor incidents or has she been a tough player "manning up" to the normal bumps and bruises of playing the game?

Of course, by now I would have been flamed terribly for suggesting such things of a player, but these will all come when all parties are deposed.

I agree, there will probably be a settlement. If the player truly complained of injury, the coach needed to address it immediately. Many HS have trainers available during practice sessions for instances such as this.

However, it is everyone's lack of responsibility that makes us weaker. The result of this suit will create an overprotective athletic staff that will stop play for every little ding. It will result in added medical expenses for those responsible and, in turn, added cost to the school, players and maybe even taxpayers. All this over a broken finger and a coach who wanted the team members to grow a pair