The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Playing beyond third out

Any ruleset

Let's say you have a very long inning. You know, "one of those." The team at bat is dropping them into the outfield for base hit after base hit. Slowly, the defense gets an out, then another, then another.

But this drags on so long that after the third actual out is made, the umpires don't realize there are three outs. Two more batters come up to bat before the defense realizes, "hey wait... There are 3 outs."

What do you do?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

My guess would be revert back by using the official book and accept your punishment.

Paul
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az.Ump View Post
My guess would be revert back by using the official book and accept your punishment.

Paul
I'd be with you on this one. That'd be the common sense approach to it, but I just have this nagging feeling there's something I'm missing...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I'd be with you on this one. That'd be the common sense approach to it, but I just have this nagging feeling there's something I'm missing...
Me too. Except the punishment part

Paul
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Any ruleset

Let's say you have a very long inning. You know, "one of those." The team at bat is dropping them into the outfield for base hit after base hit. Slowly, the defense gets an out, then another, then another.

But this drags on so long that after the third actual out is made, the umpires don't realize there are three outs. Two more batters come up to bat before the defense realizes, "hey wait... There are 3 outs."

What do you do?
Fire the umpires and have both teams go to their respective dugouts and stay there until at least 4 members of each team re sober....
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Any ruleset

What do you do?
Speaking ASA

That half of an inning is over when the third out is recorded. Any subsequent action is irrelevant. (Rule 1-Inning). No runs can score after the 3rd out of a half-inning (5.5.B).

Ignore everything which happened after the 3rd out was executed. The batter due up at the beginning of that teams next at bat would be the first extraneous batter in the previous inning.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Enjoy the practice AB's you had. Inning was over when it was over. The rest was just for fun and never really happened.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Speaking ASA

That half of an inning is over when the third out is recorded. Any subsequent action is irrelevant. (Rule 1-Inning). No runs can score after the 3rd out of a half-inning (5.5.B).

Ignore everything which happened after the 3rd out was executed. The batter due up at the beginning of that teams next at bat would be the first extraneous batter in the previous inning.
Mike, I think you have provided the evidence and rule basis to justify the correct decision and would be supported by interpretation (per ASA rules). Furthermore, I agree with you and would rule accordingly.

However, I would like to point to a very similar instance and how it was ruled earlier this year. It goes like this:
Team A (visiting team) is winning 4-3 in the bottom of the 7th, 1 out. B2 is at bat for Team B (home team) with a runner on second. B2 hit a ball out of the park for the game winning home run. All runners legally touch all the bases, Team B wins. Both umpires leave the field, walk up a slight hill, cross a road, and up a flight of steps to enter the gym/locker room. An assistant coach from team A approaches the umpires and questions if B2 had been re-entered (B2 is the teams DP, was removed earlier in the game while on the bases). PU looks at his line up card to see that B2 was not re-entered into the game. The umpires walk back to the field, declare B2 out, place the runner back to second, and ask B3 to bat with two outs. As luck would have it, the runner scores, the game continues to extra innings, where team A wins in 9.

What do you have? Does team B retain the victory because team A's appeal is not allowed by rule (this code does have the "umpires leaving the field" language)? Does team A win because the game was restated and the had more runs after a complete inning?

Do you see the second scenario as being equal to the first?
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see these as equivalent at all. For many reasons. Really, not even similar. The first involved inadvertently continuing to play after a legitimate 3rd out. The one you posted, well, doesn't. At all.

In your sitch, the appeal never happened, and the umpires should never have gone back. Head Coach needed to appeal this while umpires were still on the field. I'm not sure I follow why B2 was called out anyway - probably a misunderstanding of what you wrote on my part though. But even if B2 should have been out, there are rules for appealing this - and those rules were not followed. (Not to mention that AC doesn't have the authority to do this anyway - assuming HC is still in the game).

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I don't see these as equivalent at all. For many reasons. Really, not even similar. The first involved inadvertently continuing to play after a legitimate 3rd out. The one you posted, well, doesn't. At all.
One happened at the end of an inning, the other at the end of a game, both allowed play to happen that was not suppose to happen.

Quote:
In your sitch, the appeal never happened, and the umpires should never have gone back. Head Coach needed to appeal this while umpires were still on the field. I'm not sure I follow why B2 was called out anyway - probably a misunderstanding of what you wrote on my part though. But even if B2 should have been out, there are rules for appealing this - and those rules were not followed. (Not to mention that AC doesn't have the authority to do this anyway - assuming HC is still in the game).
The answer isn't about what is suppose to happen. Yes, the umpires should have denied the appeal and kept on walking. Then again, the OP, the umpires should not have allowed a team to bat with 3 outs. That's not my question, my question is "what's next?" In my scenario, they did play. What do you rule? Do you forget about play that happened after the "end" of the game or does the game have a new ending?
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
One happened at the end of an inning, the other at the end of a game, both allowed play to happen that was not suppose to happen
The difference is that your situation requires a proper protest to fix whereas the OP can still be fixed by a ruling on the field once the error is discovered.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Speaking ASA

Of course the next question (most likely from the team that is behind) is:

What about the time limit?
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
One happened at the end of an inning, the other at the end of a game, both allowed play to happen that was not suppose to happen.
The answer isn't about what is suppose to happen. Yes, the umpires should have denied the appeal and kept on walking. Then again, the OP, the umpires should not have allowed a team to bat with 3 outs. That's not my question, my question is "what's next?" In my scenario, they did play. What do you rule? Do you forget about play that happened after the "end" of the game or does the game have a new ending?
Ah... my bad - I see the similarity here, and get where you were going now. Sorry. Yes, retroactively B should be the winner of this game. It was over before anyone returned to play the rest.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
Of course the next question (most likely from the team that is behind) is:

What about the time limit?
Since there are really no OFFICIAL time limit rules, I would hope (but not expect) this was addressed in local rules. Unfortunately, as is almost always the case with local rules - they don't address everything and umpire has to make it up on the fly.

I think I, as UIC, would have no trouble backing up whatever PU decided in this case regarding time limit... so long as the question came up RIGHT THEN, and not at the end of the game. Kind of like injuries in a time-limit game... it's kind of up to us as to whether we should add time to the clock, and if we're going to, we should do it RIGHT THEN and make sure everyone knows it.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Since there are really no OFFICIAL time limit rules, I would hope (but not expect) this was addressed in local rules. Unfortunately, as is almost always the case with local rules - they don't address everything and umpire has to make it up on the fly.

I think I, as UIC, would have no trouble backing up whatever PU decided in this case regarding time limit... so long as the question came up RIGHT THEN, and not at the end of the game. Kind of like injuries in a time-limit game... it's kind of up to us as to whether we should add time to the clock, and if we're going to, we should do it RIGHT THEN and make sure everyone knows it.
Rule 5 sec 10? (ASA)