The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

2 umpire mechanics, going out on a fly ball

In 2-umpire mechanics, as the BU, under what situations (your position, runners on base, flight of the ball, etc.) do you (a) always go out; (b) never go out, and for those situations that fit neither, (a) nor (b), how do you decide which to do, go out or stay in?

In the 2-man system with runners on base, it seems to me that you give up a lot (2 umpires covering tag ups, calls at the bases, etc.) for a marginal benefit (since we're only dealing with 200-225 feet to the fence), so it should be done when there is enough benefit to give up the second umpire.

What prompts this is I recently had a partner who seemed to turn his back and make the fly ball call on nearly all fly balls, even pop ups into the shallow outfield.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

In 2 man - Never
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 11:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
In the 2-man system with runners on base, it seems to me that you give up a lot (2 umpires covering tag ups, calls at the bases, etc.) for a marginal benefit (since we're only dealing with 200-225 feet to the fence), so it should be done when there is enough benefit to give up the second umpire.
Agreed and understood. However, you're only dealing with 60' bases, as well. That means if you get to the circle as a PU, you've got a great shot at getting wherever you need to.

I rarely go on a fly as a BU in two-person system. (Maybe once or twice a year!) Really, it probably should only be with two-out and nobody on and a trouble ball or potential homerun (down the line, especially).
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Never say never

The following situations are generalized frequencies that are sometimes impacted moreso by the strength of my partner than the situation at hand:

I will (almost) always chase with no runners on and a trap/catch situation or near the line. (In fact, I did it three times in one game yesterday)

I will often chase with a single runner on and a trap/catch situation and be prepared to pick up the trail runner should their be a play on the lead runner.

I will sometimes chase with two runners on but only if I judge an absolute trap/catch situation and the its relative impact on the game (ie how close is the score and what inning). I am again prepared to pick up a trail runner should their be a play on the lead runner.

I will rarely chase when the bases are loaded unless this catch could end the game or inning in a hotly consted match. I am again prepared pick up a trail runner should their be a play on the lead runner.

All of this, of course, is discussed in the pregame by summarizing that the greater the number of runners, the less likely I am to chase, but if I do, I will be prepared to pick up trail runners should their be a play on the lead runner.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

No offense, but most of my partners are significantly older than I, and they don't move so well anymore. One of 'em had hip replacement surgery a few years ago, and the other has such bad diabetes that his legs hurt too much to run the amount necessary for one umpire mechanics. So frankly, I just don't do it. I will peek over my shoulder if opportunity allows, but I realize that will only help so much.

But IF I have a partner that's capable (and IF we pre-game it), I'll go out only if there are no runners on. Doing it any other time runs the risk of screwing your partner by increasing the changes of putting him/her out of position.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

If I am working with a partner with whom I am familiar, I will often chase with no runners on when a ball is hit to right field that looks like it could be trouble for my plate umpire. The reason? It makes more sense for the PU to have the touch of the runner at 1st and a possible play at 2nd, and for the BU (who is already 70-80 feet closer to the potential trouble play in the outfield) to go out on the fly. This would still be pregamed, so that we are on the same page.

Other than that, I will never go out, unless my partner expressed a desire for me to do so in certain situations during our pregame. (For example, on windy days, if he/she told me that they want me to go out on fly balls that look like they could be trouble, then I will go out.)

In two man, there is very little to be gained when the BU goes out, but a lot that is lost in the way of coverage on the infield. It just isn't worth it, for the most part.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

10U - never. Never ever.
Ditto low-level 12U.

For anyone older, like Skaht... I ALWAYS pregame this, even with familiar partners. No one on, ball down the line or possibly right-center, I'll go out, expecting to come back in for run-down if necessary, but expecting partner to get all the bases on a single runner if no run-down.

From B or C, ALMOST never - on the rare occasion where there are 2 outs and the catch-no catch is more critical than the bases (like, last inning, tying run on).

All that said - it amounts to MAYBE twice a season. Exactly twice this season - once in 16U, once in high-school.

But the key has been mentioned above - PREGAME this. If partner knows what to expect, this will work out. If he doesn't, you could be in trouble. Plus - if you pregame the rare situations where you might go out, and partner is as described above (older, bad health, something like that), your partner will be able to tell you at that point, so you'll go out either far less likely or not at all. Conversely - a young partner who likes to run, maybe I go out slightly MORE often, if it's discussed pregame.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

When...

Will go with all age groups. ONLY after pregame discussion. ONLY with expierenced partner. ONLY with mobile partner. ONLY when NO ONE is on and ball is in right field. Obviously this is ONLY when I am on the line.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Reason I never go for 10U or bad 12U is that it's much more common at that level that the plays in the infield will require 2 umpires, and much more likely that a "trouble ball" will not be caught anyway.

(Incidentally, I've always thought it strange that 10U will have 1 umpire more commonly than 14U or 16U. Honestly, I find it MUCH easier to umpire bigger girls alone than the little ones - what you expect to happen HAPPENS at the older age far more often ... and OBS is rather common and can be ANYwhere in 10U (we've all seen OBS by F5 standing on the base while the ball's in right field), while far less common at 14U. Plus - plays are executed at the higher levels - far less crazy situations with overthrows or people running when they shouldn't, requiring you to be at home 2 seconds after you're at 2nd base.

Ditto my reasoning for having a greater need for 2 umpires inside at 10U than older and better levels.)

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
In 2 man - Never

Never say never

Seriously, when I start in the A position, I will go out on "trouble ball" - one where fair/foul or catch/no catch (trapped ball, ball over the fielder's head) or deap ball territory may be an issue.

As PU, I appreciate my partner doing the same.

This is a key pre-game issue.
Depending on the level, some guys don't feel comfortable doing it that way, in that case, PU has all fly balls...
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Generally, in 2-man, I'll chase with any of these:
1-ball on the line
2-ball to the wall/fence
3-charging fielder - either in out out
4-fielders coming together

Almost always, it's from the A position. From other positions, I may well throw an extra set of eyes on the ball without chasing - in those critical situations.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Never say never

Seriously, when I start in the A position...
My understanding also is that the BU should only consider going out when they start in A.

In pregame when I am PU, I will tell my partner that if they feel they need to, "or just want to" go out on a ball to right field, feel free to and that I will have the batter runner. I think going out when not in A is not the best coverage of the things that can happen on the field.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with CelticNHBlue and SteveM as their criteria for going out pretty much match up with mine to a T.

And as stated by a few others...."never say never."
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't say NEVER from B or C... but I would reserve it for critical situations with 2 outs, where getting the out-safe call is critical to the result of the game, enough so that it outweighs what you could miss in the infield should it fall safe (for instance - situations where the winning run is already on 3rd, so if it falls, you are not needed in the infield anyway.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

My Unwritten "policy" is this...

If there are more runners than umpires I don't go out. So, in a two man system with one runner on I don't go out. Just my 2 cents.