The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Catcher all over the place

Yesterday I had a catcher that set up all over the place. Half standing up sometimes, in the slot other times. I tried to compensate the best I could, but there were at least 2 or 3 borderline pitches that I couldn't see well that may have been strikes, but I called them balls. This doesn't happen often so I'm thinking about how to handle it if it does again. Do I just tell her that I need her down and out of the slot to see pitches that may be strikes?
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

If it's an adult game, I'd just tell her, "look, catch, you can be there if you want, but you're taking me out of the game by doing so."

If it's a kid, I'd tell her coach instead.

In ASA, the catcher can set up wherever they want, so long as they're in the box, not distracting the batter and not hindering them from hitting the ball. As such, I can't tell them where I want them to be. However, I can tell them what effect they're having on my calls.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

It's probably just me but I don't tell the players where to play. If the coach asks I might hint that there may be some challenges. Otherwise I work around or over the catcher.

Paul
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az.Ump View Post
It's probably just me but I don't tell the players where to play. If the coach asks I might hint that there may be some challenges. Otherwise I work around or over the catcher.

Paul
I can't see working "around or over" the catcher. Set up in the slot. If you get blocked out you can only call it a ball. Sooner or later the coach or pitcher or maybe even the catcher will ask you what's wrong with your strike zone. And I would bet it won't take long. When you're asked..."I can't call it if your catcher blocks me out".

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not going to get myself out of my normal calling stance to accomodate the catcher.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
I can't see working "around or over" the catcher. Set up in the slot. If you get blocked out you can only call it a ball. Sooner or later the coach or pitcher or maybe even the catcher will ask you what's wrong with your strike zone. And I would bet it won't take long. When you're asked..."I can't call it if your catcher blocks me out".

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not going to get myself out of my normal calling stance to accomodate the catcher.
Ok, I see your point. What you can do, without getting out of your normal calling stance (=Slot, I hope you're using) is getting set just a little later than normal. If F2 moves when F1 already broke, it's their problem and a ball. When PU is getting set earlier than F1 is taking the 2 sec. pause, well (s)he might get in trouble and have F2 blocking a view...

I've learned by experience that setting in the slot during the 2 sec. pause of F1, F2 ain't moving around anymore. And if (s)he does, it will be a ball. I will tell F2 that I'm setting down late and it's not my fault (s)he's moving around when the pitch is released...
During the warm-up pitches in the 1st inning, I always have a little chat with F2. I'm telling F2 that we work together; I'll help her (defining my zone) and I'll expect her to help me (not blocking my view, protect me from getting hit, etc). Normally we get a workable realtionship...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm.

I can't help but wonder - isn't it OUR job to announce whether the ball was in the strike zone or not? And not our job to tell the players where to play?

If the catcher is predictably moving around a lot, shouldn't WE accommodate THEM by finding a spot where we can properly judge? I don't know ... it just sounds a little arrogant to me for us to be saying that players have to adjust to us.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

IMO, it is my job to get in the best position possible to see the strike zone.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
When F2 blocks my view I will tell them that they blocked me out. Other than that I just set up high if I can.
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

If she's in the slot, then don't feel bad missing one that may be on the outside corner. If she's standing up, then the pitcher isn't going to get the strike at the top of the knees. You just aren't going to have a good view if the pitcher misses the spot that badly.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Sometimes you have to adjust and sometimes you have to tell the catcher whats up. I have no problem talking to my catcher but read the situation. You cant call a strike if you cant see it, but equally, you have to do your job and allow them to do their job - and sometimes that means an adjustment on your part.

Sometimes if you are blocked on the inside, its not just the catcher.. its the batter and catcher.. and maybe bad position by you. So you gotta work.
Old Mon Jul 05, 2010, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Here is something that I will use from time to time:

Catch...help me call strikes...
Old Mon Jul 05, 2010, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

I have had the same situation and I try to adjust my position to see the pitch. I can see where it is hard to call it, but we have to adjust. As others have noted, I don't have a problem asking the catcher to help me out by not jumping around.

I really have a hard time seeing it when the catcher is up and the batter is crowding in and over the plate.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2010, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

I work in a men's sp league and have 1 or 2 catchers that ALWAYS at the back of the catchers box to avoid getting hit by the bat. . .From a back armpit deep strike perspective, it is nearly impossible to get a good position behind that catcher and most likely LEGITIMATE strikes are being called a balls because I have NO GOOD POSITION. . .additionally, these catcher takes an early step back and are constantly bumping into me. . .makes it even tougher. . .

when approached by the pitcher, all i say is talk to your catcher I can call everything from next town over. . . .