The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

New pitcher - do you tell her the sitch?

OK - I've never been one to go talk to the pitcher after a change and remind them that there's a runner on 2nd, 1 out, 2-0 count. I thought it was bush league. Truly, it seems juvenile to me to tell the pitcher where the runners are standing - can she not see this?

2 weeks ago, I didn't do this. Partner seemed peeved that he, as PU, HAD to do it because I didn't.

Last week, I started to do this and was waived off and told by partner later that was a huge faux pas, and not to do it. 2 games later, after a change, PU is obviously waiting for me to do it, even pointing at me, then the pitcher.

So ... does ASA have a standard here? And if not - how do you guys feel about it - is it expected? Is it bush? Do you not care?

The ONLY thing I do differently for a new pitcher is as PU, and even then, only on a new pitcher entering in the middle of an at bat --- after the warmups, I'm beside the catcher, get PU's attention, and tell her specifically what the count is, perhaps a little louder than I would have normally.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

I did it 20 years ago when I was 17 and just starting out as a little league umpire and the smitty that showed me the ropes told me I should.

I stopped doing it approximately 19 1/2 years ago.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Used to do it because I saw others doing it, but I don't anymore. If someone can point out a written mechanic in any ruleset that this is required, I'll start doing it again.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

The pitcher's team already has a coach.

If there's no scoreboard or if the scoreboard is wrong (often the case here), I might give the number of outs, but that's a big "maybe."

If there's an existing count, I'll repeat it, but that's not for the benefit of the pitcher. On any pitching change, there's been a significant pause in the game, so I'll give the count for that reason alone.

Anything other than that is tantamount to coaching. Why not also tell her where her fielders are playing? It's the same kind of info, right?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

No, not to the pitcher. However, like after every other break in action, I will provide the outs and count (if there is any) from my position behind the plate.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Agree with last two.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

I will...

On the Plate I never verbally indicate the # of outs. And I certainly don't do the rotate side to side, make sure everyone along the first base line or third base line can see me indicate the outs. Talk about bush league. As a base umpire I do not turn and tell the outfileders how many outs there are on a normal basis. If the fielders ask I tell them, this includes the catcher. If I think it has been a confusing inning, a long inning or maybe a rookie partner I will somtimes indicate how many outs while "signing" my partner that we have an infield fly situation possible (and that has gotten me in trouble with a UIC before). As far as count, I only indicate the outs in a physical manner towards the pitcher or fielders from behind the plate. Verbally I state the count loud enough for the batter and catcher to hear me. As far as the changing of pitchers. I think the situation dictates my actions. New pitcher from bench I might more often say something if the oppurtunity presents itself. Special trip to mound. No. For a pitcher coming from another defensive position. Even less consideration for making an attemopt to update the situation. New pitcher within a current count. Yes I will make a more direct effort to repeat the count and make sure she is looking at the plate when I do.

The only 2 thiongs I have ever been taught about giving the count is (1) always give the count when there has been a change of position by runners on base. (2) Only give the count once the pitcher has turned and is facing the batter/catcher/plate.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

No I don't go to the pitcher and give a game sit summary. I have had many partners who do and one or two who have given me grief for not doing it. But that is not a prescribed mechanic and I expect the players and coaches to have their heads in the games. Besides, a very good reason for not doing it is that many coaches will change the pitcher near the end of a timed game to stall. Going to the pitcher to give a game summary helps the coach stall and I don't think either umpire should be assisting either coach. Give pitch count and outs and play ball.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Hit Ball Hit Batter in the Box

Yep this is old school. Worked with a partner this year that came back from 5 years off, and he taught me this way, but I stopped doing it after working higher level ball.

Here is one for you all. What do you do when a batter is hit by a batted ball in the box. Personally I state "foul ball" and if it was not obvious I will point to the batter in the box and say "Hit her in the box". 99.9% of the coaches and players know what I mean.

However, last year I was told by a rookie blue from a different district that I was doing it wrong. That I must call "Dead Ball"-Point and say, "Hit her in the box"-Then follow up with "Foul Ball". To me this seems redundant.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
Yep this is old school. Worked with a partner this year that came back from 5 years off, and he taught me this way, but I stopped doing it after working higher level ball.

Here is one for you all. What do you do when a batter is hit by a batted ball in the box. Personally I state "foul ball" and if it was not obvious I will point to the batter in the box and say "Hit her in the box". 99.9% of the coaches and players know what I mean.

However, last year I was told by a rookie blue from a different district that I was doing it wrong. That I must call "Dead Ball"-Point and say, "Hit her in the box"-Then follow up with "Foul Ball". To me this seems redundant.
I just holler a quick "Foul ball!" If I'm asked for a reason, I just tell them the ball hit her foot/leg/whatever.

Most of the time, when you're killing it this quickly, they already know why.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I just holler a quick "Foul ball!" If I'm asked for a reason, I just tell them the ball hit her foot/leg/whatever.

Most of the time, when you're killing it this quickly, they already know why.
Exactly!
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... I was told by a rookie blue from a different district that I was doing it wrong...
When PU, I call Foul Ball.

When BU, I call Dead Ball... and let the PU decide whether it hit the batter in or out of the batter's box.

Of course I think "the last district" always has a better way of doing it, just like "the umpire last night" always allow the teams to do it. (Whatever it might have been.)
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Personally I state "foul ball" and if it was not obvious I will point to the batter in the box and say "Hit her in the box". 99.9% of the coaches and players know what I mean.

Old umpire story:

PU: Foul! Hit her in the box!
Batter: No, Blue, it hit me in the foot.

Don't know if it's true or not, but it kept me from ever saying "in the box." :-)
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

To the original post:

It is an absolute no-no in NCAA, and highly discouraged in ASA to advise a new pitcher anything beyond what is reasonably required (outs if the board is wrong, count if any) unless asked. In the simplest terms, all pitching changes are made by a defensive coach, right? Well, if that coach doesn't think the new pitcher needs additional information, why do you?

When a batter is hit by the batted ball, the mechanic strongly urged is to first kill the play with "Dead ball!!". That allows you an added second or two to replay in your head what you just saw, and confirm in your mind what you will rule. Then, you can declare the batter out, OR still add "Foul ball" in addition to the dead ball; perhaps redundant, but not contradictory, and it serves a purpose (slow down, think about it, get it right, all while not seeming to take too long).

I no longer say "Hit her in the box"; instead, I point to a spot and say "Right there". True story, it did happen to me. Working an ASA Women's A National, and said "Hit her in the box". The batter looks up at me, and says matter-of-factly "No, it hit my leg." After biting my tongue, and swallowing it twice, I worked on keeping a straight face, and answered "So it did." And vowed to never put myself in that position again. But, that's just me.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post
When BU, I call Dead Ball... and let the PU decide whether it hit the batter in or out of the batter's box.
One of my general disagreements with NCAA mechanics tied in here.

NCAA SUIP says the base ump should wait and NOT call batter touching batted ball, until it is clear the plate umpire didn't see it and won't call it. Now that we have hesitated, the plate umpire has no clue where the batter was when hit (compared to the base umpire killing it immediately). Yet, the plate umpire that didn't see the contact must rule where it happened; and really isn't even supposed to consult with the base umpire unless a coach really insists.

Just have a difficult time wrapping myself around how that is a better mechanic, and an effort to get the call right.