View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 23, 2010, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

I will...

On the Plate I never verbally indicate the # of outs. And I certainly don't do the rotate side to side, make sure everyone along the first base line or third base line can see me indicate the outs. Talk about bush league. As a base umpire I do not turn and tell the outfileders how many outs there are on a normal basis. If the fielders ask I tell them, this includes the catcher. If I think it has been a confusing inning, a long inning or maybe a rookie partner I will somtimes indicate how many outs while "signing" my partner that we have an infield fly situation possible (and that has gotten me in trouble with a UIC before). As far as count, I only indicate the outs in a physical manner towards the pitcher or fielders from behind the plate. Verbally I state the count loud enough for the batter and catcher to hear me. As far as the changing of pitchers. I think the situation dictates my actions. New pitcher from bench I might more often say something if the oppurtunity presents itself. Special trip to mound. No. For a pitcher coming from another defensive position. Even less consideration for making an attemopt to update the situation. New pitcher within a current count. Yes I will make a more direct effort to repeat the count and make sure she is looking at the plate when I do.

The only 2 thiongs I have ever been taught about giving the count is (1) always give the count when there has been a change of position by runners on base. (2) Only give the count once the pitcher has turned and is facing the batter/catcher/plate.