The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 01, 2002, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Alright I need some advice again from you ole vet's in here. I will be doing my 1st big Natl ASA Mens D slowpitch starting the 20th of this month. I need all the advice I can get to make sure I at least I look like I belong out there. So let me know what I can do and should remember so I dont look like the lost rookie I will be doing this

All replies are appreciated

Don
Old Sun Sep 01, 2002, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Cool mens D

Where are you going?
If it is the one in Auburndale, FL then bring plenty of extra uniforms, lots of socks and be prepared to drink massive amounts of fluids.
Sunglasses are a must in my book, as well as sunscreen.
At last count, there were 103 teams coming with nowhere near enough umpires.
Prepare to work most games as 2 man instead of 3 man.
In Aurburndale we will be working at two different sites and possibly a thrird, depending on the weather.
It will be hot, so be conditioned to hot weather.
Oh yeah, bring an appetite becuase we will eat!
Old Sun Sep 01, 2002, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Thanks Scott, I will actually be calling at the one here in my own home town Plano Texas Men's West ASA slow pitch D where it also will probably be very warm to say the least. They keep telling me they plan on feeding us good here too. I have not heard how many teams are coming but I know we have 9 fields 44 umps and were told we would be doing 3 man mechanics

Thanks

Don
Old Sun Sep 01, 2002, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Ahh, I thought you would be coming down here.
We will have 9 fields in use at first and then possibly more depending on what we have going with the weather.
Rest up before hand and then go have a good time.
I have found that the usual whining is less overall at a National but when the whining does start......whoee, watch out!
You will be umping the ultimate prima donnas of soft ball.
For the majority, it is just a real good time and some good ball.
I prefer working the losers brackets because then you have teams who are fighting to stay in and thus play very well.

Have a good time but remember to take care of yourself. Guard your puppies cause when they hurt you can't move.
Old Mon Sep 02, 2002, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Don.........

Start hydrating a couple of days before the tourney like you would for any Summer Tx. tournament........

Get your pants pressed.......buy a couple of new hats......(oops.....SP.....you can probably get by with one new one)........do a double spit shine on the shoes.......and have fun......

Hopefully at your umpire meeting they will give y'all a little refresher on three man........

You will do fine.........

Joel
Old Mon Sep 02, 2002, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Don,

Clean uniforms are a must, pants pressed. Shoes and belt should be clean and polished. No need for a mirror-like shine as some consider this overkill and an attempt to show-up other umpires. Don't forget to take shoe polish, rag and brush with you.

Now that you have stopped going, "Huh? What did he say?", it is true and some UICs actually believe the patent leather belts and shoes do not belong on the field.

You should have at least 3-4 hats, even in SP. And, if you sweat heavily, plenty of underwear, shirts (white) and shorts.

If you are staying in a hotel with laundry service, make sure to ask if their facilities are open on the weekends as some are not.

ASA ball bags, not plain blue ones, should be properly stocked with two indicators, line-up card holder, pen/pencil, flipping coin and a plate brush. If you have an old plate brush, you should have that available for use if you work in bad weather.

If you don't already have one, buy a quart-sized water bottle with an insulated carrier. Buy a clip of some type to hang that bottle from the fence while on the field. Also, take a hand towel with you. That if for you, not the ball.

Lastly, pay attention to what you are told to do by the UIC. If it is Walt Sparks, tell him I said hello. I really appreciated working for him. We had a pretty good time in Pensacola.

Take every opportunity to socialize with your fellow umpires. You will hear some great stories, but you will also find out who is supposed to be there and who shouldn't have been assigned.

No matter what else is said, remember that your instructions will come to you by the person who is going to rate you, the UIC. Do not let an "I know better" umpire talk you into changing mechanics without just cause. Cover the game like the book states, but remember the idea is to get the plays covered even if it is not your assignment. Just make sure you communicate if you need to cover something out of the routine. Hustle means getting into position to see the play, not outrunning the players.

When working the plate, remember the strike zone is 27" wide, use it. Do not let the batters or catchers put on a show everytime they do not like a call. It will happen, just not a dramatically as it does locally. OTOH, this is not the local leagues and the umpires are expected to not react/respond to some of the antics. No matter what happens, remain calm, listen and watch whatever is going on, then TELL them what is going to happen if it continues. At this level, it should be more subdued that league play, but they are still "D" players and haven't grasped what it means to play at a National level.

Don't worry, be happy and above all else, insist on having a good time!

Old Mon Sep 02, 2002, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Don,

Since Mike, Joel and Scottk_61, have all responded with great
advise, I can only add,

H A V E - A - G R E A T - T I M E

A N D

G O O D - L U C K

You will do fine.

BTW, is Gary going to be there?

glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Sep 02, 2002, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Thanks

For all the great advice guys it will be fully appreciated and I will update you after the tournament on how things go.

Glen cant get Gary into this Slow-Pitch world yet but maybe next year and Gary if you out there somewhere let me know if your interested if you dont know about it a fast-pitch league for high school players starting this fall in Plano on Monday nights

Thanks again

Don
Old Mon Sep 02, 2002, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Don,

I heard that Plano "acquired" the high school league from Garland this year. Being as Heritage is just three miles from home, I need to look into getting on the blues list. Who should I contact about getting involved?

Not sure if I want to subject myself to the slow pitch scene yet. All the AA stories seem to give me comfort in dealing with fastpitch coaches - the players are rarely a problem.

Spent this past weekend calling an all night tournament in Grand Prairie. Started Friday night at 7pm and called through 7am. One on - one off. Went back Saturday at 6pm through 10:30am. Had a lot of fun - mostly. It was nice to not have to fight the sun and heat.

Good luck at Nationals.

Gary
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Smile

Having done 5 Nationals, slow and fast, I ditto what Mike said and I'll like to add a few tips.
1. Take a linen napkin; it works great to get dust off your
slacks.
2. Try to use Leather Luster on your shoes; it'll keep a
shine longer and if you use it or not,
take a spray bottle and add water to
spray off the dust and dirt, dry, then
polish. Polish your belt at night so
it'll have plenty of time to dry.
3. Don't hang out with nay sayers or any negative
talking umps--the U.I.C. will notice.
4. Make communication your prime tool with your crew, get
together 15 minutes before going down to
field and discuss!
5. If showers are not available, take unscented baby wipes
in your bag for a quick sponge bath & some
"manly" talcum powder. Once you sponge off
and use powder in your briefs and on your
feet with clean socks and t-shirt, you'll
feel 100% better!
6. Have worlds of fun, I always did--let us know after the
tournament. Good Luck!
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Wed Sep 04, 2002, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

I'd have to advise against using Leather Lustre. It may make life a bit easier for you, but it will damage the shoe leather and close the pores. If your feet sweat, this is the quick route to hot, wet feet and the aches that come with that.

Also, there are some umpires who consider bringing the shoes to a high-gloss finish a little too much. There is also a train of thought that this projects a "look at me" image of someone who isn't supposed to be noticed.

If you are going to use LL, limit the number of applications so the glare of them suckers isn't too bad d:-)

Old Wed Sep 04, 2002, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

I have never used LL.......but have seen the results of some badly applied jobs by other umpires.........the shoes get all crackely (is that a word).....grin

I have 4 sets of base shoes (my FAVORITE Reebock cross-trainers Bit the Big One last year and I have NOT been able to find the same pair since).........

I have since gone to the EZ Strider (discount)......I can find them for around $10.00 on sale............they take a good shine and clean up like a dream............

Not bad having 4 pair of shoes for less than 50 bucks.............grin

Joel

Old Thu Sep 05, 2002, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Joel....

For just a few dollars more you can get the Dr. Scholls solid black shoe for a base shoe. It has superb arch support and a gel heel that actually makes a difference. I found these for the first time about 4 or 5 years ago and haven't even thought of any other shoe for a base shoe. I gets em at Wally World for around twenty bucks.

Scott
Old Thu Sep 05, 2002, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

I have seen them Scott........and will give them a try...........thanks.......

Joel
Old Thu Sep 05, 2002, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Shiny Shoes

Joel,

Mike would think my shoes are too shiny uh?????

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.