The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

What would you do??

This is a situation that I observed last night as a spectator at my son's baseball game. But I do know it is something that could happen on a softball field in any kind of age bracket.......so

One umpire (already not the best scenario right?)

One set of coaches do not like any of the calls being made. (I would like to say that the ball/strike zone was consistent for both teams.) There were two times that the ump called a runner out at first because the throw beat them there. Both times the head coach told the umpire out loud that he "had a vision problem", the second time the head coach pointed a bat at the umpire, yelled, "that is the 2nd time - you are so blind" -- and then he slammed the bat on the ground. He was within six feet of the ump when that took place. No curse words were spoken.

My thought was - as an umpire - I'm not tolerating getting yelled out like that. Several fans from both teams did say that should be something to warrant "getting thrown off the field."

How tolerant are ya'll? I am pretty tolerant but there are some things that I think should not go unchecked....

Oh yeah, and that same coach had the pitcher and first base have a little conference and slip the ball to the first base to try to pick the runner off. How legal is that??

"It is useful to look back and to look forward as well. Always remember, though, that now is where you are, and now is when you can make a difference." Ralph Marston

Special Olympic Athlete's Oath:
"Let me win. But if I can not win, let me be brave in the attempt."

Last edited by surf24; Thu Jun 17, 2010 at 12:48pm.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Don't know legality of the hidden ball trick...

As far as the coach, HTBT, but I am on the WHOOSH side. He points the bat at me and his comments are about me directly. And he is "keeping score".
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 12:46pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf24 View Post
How tolerant are ya'll? I am pretty tolerant but there are some things that I think should not go unchecked....
I used to be pretty tolerant of that kind of behavior...and it often resulted in more of the same. I shut it down early now and the games are usually smoother as a result. That coach needed to be run...probably after the first outburst.

Quote:
Oh yeah, and that same coach had hit pitcher and first base have a little conference and slip the ball to the first base to try to pick the runner off. How legal is that??
Sounds like it is nothing. The pitcher needs to have the ball on the rubber for it to be made live. If he doesn't, then the ball is still dead, even if the umpire declares "Play".

Now if they try this when the ball is still live...such as an infielder pretending to throw the ball to the pitcher but keeping it, then the play is legal. This is assuming the pitcher does not stand on or astride the rubber (pro rules) or in the dirt circle (Fed rules) without the ball. If he does, it is a balk.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

The first probably gets an abrupt "Coach, that's enough" from me... the other two would have been ejections.

Note that I can't even conceive of an occasion where a coach or player could throw equipment in anger and not get ejected.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

My thought was -- "throw him outta there!!"

The umpire just shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. I prefer that the "officials" set good examples too.

I am so tired of seeing coaches, parents, kids, ADULTS - throwing temper tantrums at the fields.

On a personal note....I know this "coach"-- he plays softball and he is even worse as a player.

"It is useful to look back and to look forward as well. Always remember, though, that now is where you are, and now is when you can make a difference." Ralph Marston

Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 02:00pm
Archaic Power Monger

What age level and type of league was this?
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
What age level and type of league was this?
It was boys baseball. Age 14U.......

But, as I said, it is something that could happen at any level I think.

Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf24 View Post
On a personal note....I know this "coach"-- he plays softball and he is even worse as a player.
Why does that not surprise me.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwsd View Post
Why does that not surprise me.
haha.......wasn't trying to surprise anyone......just kinda giving a "go figure" comment.

Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 02:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
This is assuming the pitcher does not stand on or astride the rubber (pro rules) or in the dirt circle (Fed rules) without the ball. If he does, it is a balk.
I know this is a softball rules forum, but I also work baseball. I believe you might have those two sitches reversed. On the dirt circle w/out ball is a no-no in pro, astride the rubber w/out the ball is a no-no in NFHS.

As for this "coach," I'm running him. And I am in no way a trigger-happy kind of a guy. I haven't had a coach ditch himself/herself in one of my games in five or six years. This guy needed to go.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 03:00pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
I know this is a softball rules forum, but I also work baseball. I believe you might have those two sitches reversed. On the dirt circle w/out ball is a no-no in pro, astride the rubber w/out the ball is a no-no in NFHS.
Check our OBR 8.05(i). I don't have the Fed reference handy right now.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

So......honestly........it doesn't matter if they cuss you out or not---this kind of behavior is just not g2g? It isn't for me. I just wondered if any of you would be even quicker on the draw if the coach used curse words during his temper tantrum...????

Me---at the point he pointed the bat at me I'd of sent him on his way.

Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

If players or coaches want to grumble about a call, that's fine. It happens. I let it slide (within reason).

But the coach said the magic word that would've made me toss him in a heartbeat without thinking twice: "you."

I have a long fuse. Make it personal or imply that I'm somehow biased? That's a free one-way ticket to the parking lot. That will instantly trip my trigger.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Make it personal or imply that I'm somehow biased? That's a free one-way ticket to the parking lot. That will instantly trip my trigger.
Yep, that's the extent of the limit; the difference between "That was a terrible call, Blue" and "You're terrible, Blue".
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpteenth View Post
Yep, that's the extent of the limit; the difference between "That was a terrible call, Blue" and "You're terrible, Blue".
Some may disagree with me on this one, but I once had a close play at 3B where the runner got tagged just a few inches shy of the base. He didn't like the call, and I had no problem with that.

But when I was returning to the plate, he loudly said to me from across the field, "I don't know why it is you've got it in for our team!"

I tossed him. Don't ever, EVER insinuate I'm biased. I had to defend my integrity.

The kicker of it all? I actually like his team. A GREAT bunch of guys who play hard and have fun. Not to mention the fact that I like this particular player as a pitcher, because he's got a GREAT delivery. Such a shame he thinks that I have some sort of grudge against them.

The next week, I spoke with their captain briefly about it. He completely understood.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.