Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 17, 2010, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
"I don't know why it is you've got it in for our team!"

I tossed him. Don't ever, EVER insinuate I'm biased. I had to defend my integrity.
Abso-freaking-lutely. The you comments above are spot on as well ... but implying that an umpire is INTENTIONALLY making bad calls for one team or good for the other cannot be tolerated.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jun 18, 2010, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf24 View Post
...One set of coaches do not like any of the calls being made. ...snip... There were two times that the ump called a runner out at first because the throw beat them there. Both times the head coach told the umpire out loud that he "had a vision problem", the second time the head coach pointed a bat at the umpire, yelled, "that is the 2nd time - you are so blind" -- and then he slammed the bat on the ground....
Karen,
At the 2nd time a coach questions my zone, (s)he get a warning (ISF Rule 10, judgement call). At the moment my vision problem is brought up, (s)he's gone. No matter what, even with or without that warning I about judgement call's! No-one questions my neutrality, nor is a coach yelling at me. Slamming equipment on the ground is also reason for have the best view at the field from the lockerroom or (as you all say) from the parkinglot...

However it starts with preventing umpiring; If I'm alone, my plate-conf. is a long one. I explane that I'm alone, can't see it all. If they wanna play, with only one ump. the consequense is: Don't argue with me... Mostly coaches tend after that to be rexaled. If not, not my problem anymore

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Fri Jun 18, 2010, 04:17am
Official Forum Member

If I'm working alone, my plate conference is exactly the same as any other (well, with the obvious exception that I'm not going to be introducing my partner to the coaches).

I really believe that going into long-winded explanations about how you're by yourself today and might not see some things because of it can backfire.

First off, if these coaches have been around the game at all, for any length of time, they should already understand the limitations of the one-umpire system. No need to explain that to them.

But even worse, it can come off as an umpire "making excuses" for bad calls before the bad calls even happen. It can plant the seed in the coach's minds that you are not up to the task of handling a one-umpire game and that you will be making questionable calls. I prefer to not give them one single tiny bit of ammunition to make them even begin to think that I'm not in control of this game- the same as any other game.

In short, if you start the game off by making excuses for why you might make some bad calls, what the coaches might get from that is, "This guy's going to make bad calls". Right off the bat- before the first pitch is even thrown- you've just given the coaches a reason to doubt you and to question your ability to handle this game.

Just give your usual pre-game, then call the game to the best of your ability. If someone argues, handle it the same as if there were two, three or four umpires on the field.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

I have a coach that is leaving for the night with a criminal trespass warning. In the event that he returns, he will receive a free trip to the county...Goodnight Coach.