The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

More Wisdom From NCAA Championships

Beth Whateverhernameis claims that a slapper must keep one foot in the batter's box. Must have missed that one.

Also, lot of slappers getting strikes called for "swings" when it seems it isn't even close. I'm not talking a couple, but dozens that I've seen since Thursday.

Can any of you NCAA guys tell us if there is a standard (i.e. dragging bat through strike zone, not pulling bat back, etc.) which has been implemented as an indication for a "swing"?
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Beth Whateverhernameis claims that a slapper must keep one foot in the batter's box. Must have missed that one.

Also, lot of slappers getting strikes called for "swings" when it seems it isn't even close. I'm not talking a couple, but dozens that I've seen since Thursday.

Can any of you NCAA guys tell us if there is a standard (i.e. dragging bat through strike zone, not pulling bat back, etc.) which has been implemented as an indication for a "swing"?

Actually, she said the batter wants to keep one foot in the batter's box.

True. The other is on it's way to first but not yet on the ground when hitting the ball.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Actually, she said the batter wants to keep one foot in the batter's box.

True. The other is on it's way to first but not yet on the ground when hitting the ball.
Didn't hear it that way, but I'll take your word for it. But I didn't hear a clarification on where the other foot may or may not be..
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Just got back from OKC and now watching the ESPN gals do their thingy. While you miss some replays at HOF stadium, it is sure nice not to have to listen to these 3 'experts'.

How about a sideline reporter with an extensive 'blue' background next year? Not just from some ex-[layer's perspective.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
Just got back from OKC and now watching the ESPN gals do their thingy. While you miss some replays at HOF stadium, it is sure nice not to have to listen to these 3 'experts'.

How about a sideline reporter with an extensive 'blue' background next year? Not just from some ex-[layer's perspective.
Or, at least, a decent hat
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

There's a new one! Sac bunt. The catcher wanted to let it go foul, "but listened to the ump" (who was behind her pointing fair)
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

FOUL TIP?!?!

The catcher didn't catch the ball, how can it be a "foul tip" at least a half dozen time!
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
FOUL TIP?!?!

The catcher didn't catch the ball, how can it be a "foul tip" at least a half dozen time!
Be nice to have a strike signal with the verbal 'three'. (but then again, we have all 'froze' before, or at least I have....and yes there is a story behind that too)
Old Sun Jun 06, 2010, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

And did you see where Mike Bartling over ruled Scott Thomas on that play at 2B.

Oh, and was it Mendoza who said the umpire should call the runner out on principle for not sliding? Oh, yeah, that would go over real well if a play went that way.

Coach: Are you kidding, she was safe!
Blue: Coach, she didn't slide.
Coach: So what, she doesn't have to slide
Blue: Yeah, but I called her out on principle!!!!

Yeah, that umpire would be invited back next year.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 06:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And did you see where Mike Bartling over ruled Scott Thomas on that play at 2B.

(snip_

Yeah, what was that all about...
I was working at the time, but had the TV on.
Couldn't figure out what actually happened.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Yeah, what was that all about...
I was working at the time, but had the TV on.
Couldn't figure out what actually happened.
The play was 6-5-4, U1 called runner at 2nd safe. The TH immediately noted she should have slid and probably would have been safe, but she went in standing up. The replay showed the ball getting into F4s glove before the runner contacting the base.

F6 started questioning U3 (Mike Bartling) about the call. The TH pointed out that U3 was telling the UT player that he thought the runner was out at 2nd. Yeah, like I believe that. Unfortunately, all the idiots in TV land probably do believe it.

Apparently, and I don't remember seeing it on the screen, Mike and Scott got together and the runner was ruled out at 2nd. And in their normal fashion of ignorance, declared that one umpire over ruled another's call which any intelligent fan knows that isn't going to happen.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
There's a new one! Sac bunt. The catcher wanted to let it go foul, "but listened to the ump" (who was behind her pointing fair)
I knew you would pick up on that one. My wife kept asking me why I was yelling at the TV. I just told her the talking heads were driving me nuts.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Admittedly, I am not NCAA World series caliber umpire. However, I do know a foul ball from a foul tip. That last game (AZ-v-TN if game) was not the best officiated of the series.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

On that "foul-tip" that wasn't caught, what the heck happened?

It appears the plate umpire didn't see the bat strike the ball. Fine, so why was the runner removed from 1B when she finally went there having not been tagged by the catcher?
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The "standard" is not listening when Beth Whateverhernameis begins to explain rules.