Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

These THs are really all over the place on the issue, but then again, they really have no idea of what they are talking about.
Latest example. After a ball slipped from the pitcher's hand for a ball: "If she would have reached out and caught that ball out of the air, it would have been a balk."
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
Latest example. After a ball slipped from the pitcher's hand for a ball: "If she would have reached out and caught that ball out of the air, it would have been a balk."
Followed in the bottom half of the inning by "[Georgia coach] has already been out once this inning and cannot come back out or she would have to remove her".

Balk, 2nd trip causing removal of F1? Did I happen to dial into a baseball game?
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
Mendoza at her finest.
Old Sat Jun 05, 2010, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

The jabbering announcers are one of many reasons that I turn the sound off and listen to music while watching college softball. MLB, too. Bach is better for your blood pressure than McCarver.

In softball, the last straw for me was the announcers all agreeing that the umpire had erred in calling a force out at 2B when F6, with the ball securely in her bare hand, tagged the bag with her glove. They showed the replay several times, but they didn't seem to wonder why the "offended" team didn't question the call.

In MLB, it was the constant shilling for programs coming up on their wonderful schedule.

Last edited by greymule; Sat Jun 05, 2010 at 07:52am.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2010, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
Jim Leyland and Armando Galarraga think the Florida coach is a crybaby.
I can remember when a college coach very very seldom would say anything about an umpire and if they did it was almost always good or at least neutral. I remember where a coach jerked a girl off the field because of the player's reaction to a call and it was expected. We had a polite discussion about the call and after the game the player came up and apologized.

I remember when they switched from ASA to their own rules and the explanation as to why. One of the coaches I talked to about it stated that the NCAA wanted more control over the rules and felt that ASA did not give it to them.
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.