The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 03, 2010, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop300ln View Post
what about the other pitcher from UCLA? did she not fly? fair for one is fair for the other. if both feet are off the ground it is an IP BY THE RULE. a 1/2 in or 3 inches u guys are rule crazy. MAKE THE CALL or use common sense.

I didn't notice the UCLA pitcher leaping
Old Thu Jun 03, 2010, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Irish, thank you for your explanation. Unfortunately the area I am in is small. Our association is combined both baseball/softball. About 4-5 times a year I am asked to work a softball game on nights we are short softball umpires. The funny thing is I only get the two large schools in the area. And they actually ask our commish to schedule me more of their games. I always have the dish and work with a super experienced partner who taught me the mechanics. And yes I know its a dis-service to the girls not to know the rules, but I try. I take the test to be certified, got a 92 on the NFHS test, Open book. The thing I struggle with is the application of the rules. I just don't work it enough. Ya know the little things. Does my rambling make sense?
Old Thu Jun 03, 2010, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

The talking heads in the game went on at length, for many innings, that the umpires aren't supposed to call the IP if the pitcher does not gain an advantage. Even said that was the rule. Spent some time lamenting that the umpires were affecting the game.

Even though the 'heads' said the Fla pitchers were not gaining an advantage by leaping the slomos showed both pitchers landing with their left foot on the circle chalk! Do you think being 2-4 feet closer to the batter and a slightly higher pitch speed would be an advantage?

Last edited by FullCount; Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 09:14pm.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2010, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCount View Post
The talking heads in the game went on at length, for many innings, that the umpires aren't supposed to call the IP if the pitcher does not gain an advantage. Even said that was the rule. Spent some time lamenting that the umpires were affecting the game.

Even though the 'heads' said the Fla pitchers were not gaining an advantage by leaping the slomos showed both pitchers landing with their left foot on the circle chalk! Do you think being 2-4 feet closer to the batter and a slightly higher pitch speed would be an advantage?
You must have been watching a different game than I was.

Granted, I have been jumping back and forth between programs, but I heard them talk about the umpires being directed to actually see the IP and then call it, not guess on presumption. They also noted that the IPs were clearly IPs.

I must have missed the part to which you are referring.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2010, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Heard some of that in the AZ/Tenn game but didn't hear it in the Fla game. I was working while listening and trying to watch some. Most of what I heard about not calling th IP unless there was an advantage came in the first 2 innings but still came back to it later in the game. Late in the last inning they said that there were two three-run HRs but that the real story in the game was the IP. Huh?
Old Thu Jun 03, 2010, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCount View Post
Heard some of that in the AZ/Tenn game but didn't hear it in the Fla game. I was working while listening and trying to watch some. Most of what I heard about not calling th IP unless there was an advantage came in the first 2 innings but still came back to it later in the game. Late in the last inning they said that there were two three-run HRs but that the real story in the game was the IP. Huh?
Those are ex players and maybe a coach 'in the booth', not umpires

just sayin
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 05:22am
Official Forum Member

Could someone post up a copy/paste of the rule....?

If it doesn't mention gaining an advantage.....I'm wondering why everyone keeps referencing it (including the announcers...as I did watch the game). If it does mention it....I'm wondering what advantage she is/was gaining.

Thanks.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

So here's another thread where the advantage/disadvantage talk has popped up.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc452010 View Post

If it doesn't mention gaining an advantage.....I'm wondering why everyone keeps referencing it (including the announcers...as I did watch the game). If it does mention it....I'm wondering what advantage she is/was gaining.

Thanks.
It doesn't. And if you are actually giving credit to the TH for any type of rules knowledge............................
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks.
You may download the whole rulebook from here:

NCAA Publications - 2010-2011 Women's Softball Rules (2 Year Publication) Online NOW

As for the rule look at

10.4.4 No leaping is allowed. The pitcher may not become airborne on the
initial drive from the pitcher’s plate. The pivot foot must slide/drag on
the ground.

That won't tell you an iota of how umpires have been asked to enforce this rule, but I think the other posters are doing a pretty good job of that.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

So, where did this "gaining an advantage" phrase come from? Same place "tie goes to the runner" originated?
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, where did this "gaining an advantage" phrase come from? ....
Soccer? Basketball?
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRc View Post
Let me start by saying that I umpire baseball and in no way do I understand the nuances to umping softball. But could this be one of those "rules" that does have some gray areas and is loosely called during the regular season. But when the post season comes, or in this case the College World Series, where EVERYONE is watching, they are told to call every Illegal Pitch regardless of advantage/disadvantage. And in this case Florida pitchers may have been doing this all year and not have been called this tight.
It was stressed at the clinic this year to focus on calling the IP EVERY time we see one in the NCAA. It has been stressed since day one, because there are so many pitchers out there that have started getting away with sloppy mechanics.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

So, where did this "gaining an advantage" phrase come from? Same place "tie goes to the runner" originated?

Same place "the hands are part of the bat" originated.

There are any number of baseball and softball phrases spouted so commonly that people assume they're in the rule books, the same way they assume that the terms "freedom of expression" and "separation of church and state" are in the U.S. Constitution.

"One plus one," "one from the infield, two from the outfield," "the fielder has to hold the ball for three seconds" are other common examples.

"Gaining an advantage," which exists nowhere in any rule book, undoubtedly derives from rec ball, in which umpires are often faced with the choice of letting some violations slide or in effect ruining their and everyone else's evening. If both 10-year-old pitchers are technically illegal as they lob pitches in the general direction of the plate, you simply can't persist in calling their motion (or the strike zone) strictly by the book. But you can inform them and their coaches of the proper motion and recommend that they practice it.

But once I was put in a bad situation in an official state girls' softball tournament in New Jersey. Most of the teams were well coached, but my first game involved two city teams that had somehow qualified and yet were miles below the better teams in ability and knowledge. Both pitchers were illegal six ways from Sunday. The coaches were cooperative, listened to my explanations, and tried to get the pitchers to make corrections, but there were just too many problems. Both coaches asked if we could just forget about the pitching rules for that first game and work on the mechanics between games.

I agreed to that, wanting to avoid chaos and knowing that both teams were going to be blown out of the tournament by noon. (Both teams were mercy-ruled by the third inning in the rest of their games, and the opposing coaches didn't mention the IPs.) College, especially at the levels on TV, is of course a different story. You have to enforce the rules, even if it means calling a dozen IPs in an inning.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop300ln View Post
u are a true little league um or maybe a t-baller
Wow. A record. Only 6 posts to my ignore button.

West Houston Mike