The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 29, 2010, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Instead of telling the catcher, casually mention to the ptcher as he is on his way back to the dugout, that you would love to be calling more strikes, but the catcher keeps blocking your view, so the pitches have to be called balls. Then just stand back and watch the show in the dugout. They really can be fun to watch.
Old Sat May 29, 2010, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Karen,
Mongo is not quite a little guy. In that classic movie you have not yet seen, Mongo decks a horse.
Old Sun May 30, 2010, 03:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf24 View Post
... Plus, you know those big guys are dangerous.!!!!!!!! I got stepped on and backhanded. Both accidents, but seriously HOW DO YOU FORGET THE OFFICIAL IS THERE?
Karen, as I read it (also between the lines / those words that are not written): You're not a tall, young, female umpire. You're still playing so you I guess you're also not well accepted in the group players as an respected umpire. The actions of the catcher you just discribed are good examples of this disrespect... All starting umpires are getting tested by the players and coaches. This is how it works and how one umpire gets the respect quick and others later or not at all...

I don't think that catcher forgot that you're there. Why do you think it was an accident? In FP a catcher can let the pitched ball hit the umpire full on the mask and still let it look like an accident. I took one there

We have also a tiny, younger, female umpire. In the lower TOP-league's (2nd & 3rd division) she's getting all the pain one can imagine. Unlucky she took it all personal last year, but this year she ain't taking no more crap from the coaches! Had her first ejection and is starting to gain some respect.

I know it ain't fair but it is as it is: The male umpires are getting their credits easier. Women have to work harder for the same thing. I don't know how you can change that but if you get the feeling you're tested, don't hesitate: ejection! "Testing the umpire" is an act of disrespect.
They'll learn to know you...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Sun May 30, 2010, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
Karen, as I read it (also between the lines / those words that are not written): You're not a tall, young, female umpire.
So you're saying she is a short, old male umpire?

Quote:
You're still playing so you I guess you're also not well accepted in the group players as an respected umpire.
Actually, in SP community, it is like dealing with children. They will believe their peer before anyone of authority not matter how ludicrous is it. If they know you are a player, you are going to be believed before an umpire who is no longer playing the game or place umpiring first. Unfortunately, some of these "active" umpires tend to be reluctant to enforce some rules.

Quote:
actions of the catcher you just discribed are good examples of this disrespect... All starting umpires are getting tested by the players and coaches. This is how it works and how one umpire gets the respect quick and others later or not at all...
I don't think the players are that smart. You want respect from the AA, just hustle and be where you are supposed to be (even though the players may think differently). And yes, when they cross the line don't be afraid to dump 'em. Just don't make that an habitual reaction.
Old Sun May 30, 2010, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I know that you know what I meant... I also know that you know that the Queens English isn't even my second langue. So why do you want to make fun of me and my disabilities? (wanna get tossed???)

Quote:
Actually, in SP community, it is like dealing with children. They will believe their peer before anyone of authority not matter how ludicrous is it. If they know you are a player, you are going to be believed before an umpire who is no longer playing the game or place umpiring first. Unfortunately, some of these "active" umpires tend to be reluctant to enforce some rules.
So... what is different compaired to FP in this matter?

Quote:
I don't think the players are that smart. You want respect from the AA, just hustle and be where you are supposed to be (even though the players may think differently). And yes, when they cross the line don't be afraid to dump 'em. Just don't make that an habitual reaction.
AA = Ano...something Alcoholics?
Players are that smart... Well, no they're not smart. They just know by hart how to make us look like a fool. If we don't do what we're supposed to do and be where we're supposed to be. And when we are getting started as an umpire we make those mistakes frequently... And they take gladly advantage of that.

Old Sun May 30, 2010, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know that you know what I meant... I also know that you know that the Queens English isn't even my second langue. So why do you want to make fun of me and my disabilities? (wanna get tossed???)
If you heard the English they speak in the Queens........

Obviously, just kidding, but you knew that

Quote:
So... what is different compaired to FP in this matter?
Mentality. See answer below.

Quote:
AA = Ano...something Alcoholics?
Close.....it is the Alleged Adults that turn us umpires in to alcoholics!

Quote:
Players are that smart... Well, no they're not smart. They just know by hart how to make us look like a fool. If we don't do what we're supposed to do and be where we're supposed to be. And when we are getting started as an umpire we make those mistakes frequently... And they take gladly advantage of that.
Which was the point of my post. Just do what YOU know you are supposed to do, not what the players think you are supposed to do. Too many new umpires will allow themselves to be talked into something especially if it is fellow players. An umpire who is not associated with the local players is going to follow what s/he was taught as an umpire.

A perfect example is with bases loaded in a one-umpire game and you have to make the calls at 2B & 1B from the holding zone on the 3B line. Don't know how many times I've been told by the players that I have to get out there to make that call. Well, no, I'm not leaving the plate anytime there is a possible play there. I would like to get closer to the plays I'm calling, but that is not the probper mechanic and I know better than the players. Meanwhile, some "buddy" umpire will get out in the middle of the infield for a play like that and be staring at 1B looking for the ball that was thrown to the plate instead. Oops!
Old Sun May 30, 2010, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... Close.....it is the Alleged Adults that turn us umpires in to alcoholics! ...
So, there is no difference with FP (male league)!

Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
Let's see. First movie I took my wife to. 1974. Something tells me that Surf is a little younger than we are.
It is not that I am young, it is that I do not really care to watch tv or movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az.Ump View Post
I guess the Monty Python stuff is out too.

Well, he's...he's, ah...probably pining for the fjords.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Karen,
Mongo is not quite a little guy. In that classic movie you have not yet seen, Mongo decks a horse.
poor horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpirebob71 View Post
Instead of telling the catcher, casually mention to the ptcher as he is on his way back to the dugout, that you would love to be calling more strikes, but the catcher keeps blocking your view, so the pitches have to be called balls. Then just stand back and watch the show in the dugout. They really can be fun to watch.
THIS sounds like a very fun way to get them out of my way. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
this failed for me.....haha

Quote:
Karen, as I read it (also between the lines / those words that are not written): You're not a tall, young, female umpire. You're still playing so you I guess you're also not well accepted in the group players as an respected umpire. The actions of the catcher you just discribed are good examples of this disrespect... All starting umpires are getting tested by the players and coaches. This is how it works and how one umpire gets the respect quick and others later or not at all...
LOL. Nope I can not be accused of being tall. As with everything -- there is always that one "guy" (or person) that is going to test you, etc. This instance was "that guy", and I dealt with it.

Quote:
haha......no..........this is funny though.

I did start this thread just for a little fun side of umpiring. A little history is that I have actually run a fund raising tournament for my local Special Olympics and umpired that for years. My local complex just finally talked me into coming on board and umpiring for them and getting my certification--which I also think will lend more credence to my big tourney I do each year. I am still very much a player. In fact I played 15 games last week as well as umpiring a couple of nights.

Don't any of the rest of you still play?

"It is useful to look back and to look forward as well. Always remember, though, that now is where you are, and now is when you can make a difference." Ralph Marston

Special Olympic Athlete's Oath:
"Let me win. But if I can not win, let me be brave in the attempt."
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Karen,

I've played men FP from 13th until 29 year's old; by then my knees were worn out (always been a catcher) and had 2 operations on 1 knee in 14 months time. By then I retired as a player. At the young age of 15, I was already umpiring; helped out my dad. So when I quit playing it was an easy step to umpire for our national federation. First in the regional leagues, later on national level.
Now at 42, I'm certified for the ESF for the 3th year. The ESF is the European Softball Federation. They organise the European Championships for counties and for the club-teams the EuroCup's. National champ.'s come to the EC-I, the national cupwinners to the EC-II.
To become ESF-certified, one has to be named by his national federation to the ESF. Must therefore be in the top of one own's country... (So that makes me top-11 in the Neth.'s).

Playing and umpire at the same time ain't gonna work out overhere: TOP-competions are Sat. & Sun. We get paid a little for compensation, but it's still "hobby". I work in 3-shift factory, so on weekdays playing ain't also gonna work: every week another shift (Morning/Afternoon/Night)... and oooh, yeah my wife and son want to see me also when I'm off

Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Karen,

I've played men FP from 13th until 29 year's old; by then my knees were worn out (always been a catcher) and had 2 operations on 1 knee in 14 months time. By then I retired as a player. At the young age of 15, I was already umpiring; helped out my dad. So when I quit playing it was an easy step to umpire for our national federation. First in the regional leagues, later on national level.
Now at 42, I'm certified for the ESF for the 3th year. The ESF is the European Softball Federation. They organise the European Championships for counties and for the club-teams the EuroCup's. National champ.'s come to the EC-I, the national cupwinners to the EC-II.
To become ESF-certified, one has to be named by his national federation to the ESF. Must therefore be in the top of one own's country... (So that makes me top-11 in the Neth.'s).

Playing and umpire at the same time ain't gonna work out overhere: TOP-competions are Sat. & Sun. We get paid a little for compensation, but it's still "hobby". I work in 3-shift factory, so on weekdays playing ain't also gonna work: every week another shift (Morning/Afternoon/Night)... and oooh, yeah my wife and son want to see me also when I'm off
Oh wow. Very nice.

It was just a question, not a criticism. Sorry if it seemed that way.

"It is useful to look back and to look forward as well. Always remember, though, that now is where you are, and now is when you can make a difference." Ralph Marston

Special Olympic Athlete's Oath:
"Let me win. But if I can not win, let me be brave in the attempt."
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf24 View Post
... It was just a question, not a criticism. Sorry if it seemed that way.
I've never taken it as criticism. Didn't look like that to. What made you think I took it that way?

To make the decision to quit playing was very hard to do; it hurts when you have to quit doing what you love the most. It took me about 2 years before I was able to work a male league. Before that my hart was bleeding when I saw the men play and I could not join them.

I can imagine that when there's always a game on, every day of the week, you can be found overthere. I would if I was in your shoes, however my marriage wouldn't have survived it. Since my son is playing rugby, in winter I can be found on his ground. The team asked me to help out with training and games. The club wants me also to learn how to be a referee; the games on training I blow the whistle and they seem to like my style.
I love my sport but the love for my family is stronger!