View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 01, 2010, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
Let's see. First movie I took my wife to. 1974. Something tells me that Surf is a little younger than we are.
It is not that I am young, it is that I do not really care to watch tv or movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az.Ump View Post
I guess the Monty Python stuff is out too.

Well, he's...he's, ah...probably pining for the fjords.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Karen,
Mongo is not quite a little guy. In that classic movie you have not yet seen, Mongo decks a horse.
poor horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpirebob71 View Post
Instead of telling the catcher, casually mention to the ptcher as he is on his way back to the dugout, that you would love to be calling more strikes, but the catcher keeps blocking your view, so the pitches have to be called balls. Then just stand back and watch the show in the dugout. They really can be fun to watch.
THIS sounds like a very fun way to get them out of my way. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
this failed for me.....haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
Karen, as I read it (also between the lines / those words that are not written): You're not a tall, young, female umpire. You're still playing so you I guess you're also not well accepted in the group players as an respected umpire. The actions of the catcher you just discribed are good examples of this disrespect... All starting umpires are getting tested by the players and coaches. This is how it works and how one umpire gets the respect quick and others later or not at all...
LOL. Nope I can not be accused of being tall. As with everything -- there is always that one "guy" (or person) that is going to test you, etc. This instance was "that guy", and I dealt with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
So you're saying she is a short, old male umpire?
haha......no..........this is funny though.

I did start this thread just for a little fun side of umpiring. A little history is that I have actually run a fund raising tournament for my local Special Olympics and umpired that for years. My local complex just finally talked me into coming on board and umpiring for them and getting my certification--which I also think will lend more credence to my big tourney I do each year. I am still very much a player. In fact I played 15 games last week as well as umpiring a couple of nights.

Don't any of the rest of you still play?

"It is useful to look back and to look forward as well. Always remember, though, that now is where you are, and now is when you can make a difference." Ralph Marston

Special Olympic Athlete's Oath:
"Let me win. But if I can not win, let me be brave in the attempt."