The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Im a highschool offical and I always notice when I am watching a game that most referees dont pay attention to the 3 sec lane violation what is a good strategy to calling this and still having postion the play to make other calls ???

Thanx
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

How do you know they aren't paying attention to the 3 second call? It is not a visible count. I have seen the 3 second call miscalled a lot this year. I had a game earlier where my partner called it 3 times in one half as the trail. The lane is not the trail's primary coverage area. I can see maybe once but 3 times as trail? I've seen officials call 3 seconds when there is a scramble for a loose ball. I've seen officials call it as the ball is going through the hoop and waive off the basket. I've seen it called when the ball is reversed on a steal and negates a fast break basket. I think the 3 second call is called too much especially by the newer officials I have seen.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Yah i know its not a visible count but in my area they never call it and i was just pointing that out
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 08:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveRef702
Yah i know its not a visible count but in my area they never call it and i was just pointing that out
Steve Ref,
I look for three-seconds less than I look at where the coach is standing.
I may get one 3-sec. violation in every 3 games.
It just isn't a priority of mine if a loosely-guarded player has a foot on the line and the ball is on the other side.
Npw, when the ball is on that player's side of the court, then everyone, including the player is more aware of the feet and the lane.
mick
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 08:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Im a highschool offical and I always notice when I am watching a game that most referees dont pay attention to the 3 sec lane violation what is a good strategy to calling this and still having postion the play to make other calls ???

Thanx
If you knew the answer to your question, you probably wouldn't be making such a general, unsubstantiated comment in the first place. How long have you been an official?

Besides, if you don't know the answer, you are probably one of those not making the call.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but it would help us to help you if you would be more specific. Thanks.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 01:22am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
3 Seconds....

If you have proper positioning you should be able to see the lane at all times from the lead in you perifial(sp?) vision. A good rule of thumb is if the player looks as if they are going to leave the lane but wont make it before you get to three, see if they exit before you call it. If they leave don't blow it, ruins the flow of the game and three is the least of your worries. I have had several games this year where I haven't called a single three second violation. 34 games this year so far and maybe called 3-4 times.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Personally, I would love to see the 3 seconds rule re-written to how it is acutally called. I call it this way:

When a player is posting up in the lane for an extended amount of time, I'll attempt to talk him out. If he doesn't move out and the ball is then passed into him, TWEET! 3 seconds!

If a player is hanging out in the lane, doesn't get out, there's a shot, and he gets the rebound, he'll get away with it once but I'll get him the next time.

Most inexperienced officials will call 3 seconds on any offensive player, even if they're just wandering around without knowing where they are. In reality, newer officials are probably the only ones who call it by the book. Most veteran officials will apply advantage/disadvantage to the it. Since we're not talking about a player with the ball, I can live with that.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 01:54am
Do not give a damn!!

The higher you go.

Quote:
Well SteveRef702 I always look for 3 seconds during all my games. And usually they are never in the lane that long. And if they are I call it. But you must understand, that the higher the level, the less likely it is going to be called. Because good players are not going to stand in the lane for 3 seconds in the first place. And I am definitely not going to call the toe on the line variety.

Remember, for 3 seconds to be even called, you have to have the ball in the frontcourt. You must have team control. And you must not have in interrupted dribble according to the rules.

You usually here coaches and fans yell for 3 seconds, and the ball is not even in the FC or the ball is on the rim or in the air on a shot. I have even heard fans yell for 3 seconds and the player is completely out of the lane all together. The count starts and stops so many times, that at least in a varsity setting the players are not in the lane that long. And when you call it, they do not continually have to call it during the rest of the game. And if you are a good official, you should know how and when to talk players out of the lane before they violate the rule.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Most inexperienced officials will call 3 seconds on any offensive player, even if they're just wandering around without knowing where they are. In reality, newer officials are probably the only ones who call it by the book. Most veteran officials will apply advantage/disadvantage to the it. Since we're not talking about a player with the ball, I can live with that.
I've actually never called a 3-second violation (meaning I have more T's than 3's), and I had this same question last night, but about myself. I've always been taught to referee the defense (probably why I have more PC's than anyone else in my league), and I think I over-ref the defense and tend to concentrate much less on the offensive players in the post. Any suggestions on how to see everyone?
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

To Dave S:

Depending on where the ball is, the 3-point call could very well be the trail's primary area.

To SteveRef702:

It isn't a call to "look for." If a post player is gaining a clear advantage (post-up or rebounding position) and is in the key for longer than 3 seconds, you may make the call. The players should adjust after the first call (unless it's a kids game) and you probably won't see it again. If you call it more than twice in a game, chances are that you are using it too liberally.

Z
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
To Dave S:

Depending on where the ball is, the 3-point call could very well be the trail's primary area.
And so could the 3-second call .
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 10:46am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb I dunno

Quote:
The players should adjust after the first call (unless it's a kids game) and you probably won't see it again.
zebraman,
Yupper.
In the kids' game, you may call it on one of ten starters and then on a couple of subs that have been sleeping on the bench the first 3 quarters.
mick
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 10:47am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up sounds right.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
The players should adjust after the first call (unless it's a kids game) and you probably won't see it again.
zebraman,
Yupper.
In the kids' game, you may call it on one of ten starters and then on a couple of subs that have been sleeping on the bench the first 3 quarters.
mick
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

3 Seconds

I agree with the others. I have gone weeks without calling three seconds and then called it three straight possessions on one player in a Middle School game last week. Why??? Because , he was staying in all day, was a big player, was getting too much of an advantage, and never moved even though I told him every time "You need to move five zero." Never moved. Tweet.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanx
In addition to the other answers (which I agree with), I'll point out that the official has more important things to look for, and that the responsibility is split.

For example, two-official game. Ball is in T's area, so L looks at the paint. L sees A1 in the paint --- 1...2... Now the ball gets passed to L's area, so L stops looking at A1 and looks at the area around the ball. T looks in the apint and sees A1 -- 1...2... Now, the ball is passed back to T's area....