The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Oregon vs. GaTech

GaTech imploded and got thumped by the Ducks.

YellowJacket fans all over the plate umpire, but I don't know why. Her strike zone seemed very accurate and consistant. The later in the game, the more the GT catcher would hold the glove in place, pretty much inciting the fans.

There was an INT call against a runner when she ran into the shortstop on a play. Pretty clean cut and called immediately. However, a couple innings later, GT F4 had a roller heading toward her with a runner advancing from 1B. The defender started to move forward, but in the BUs opinion, she initiated contact with the runner and refused to call the INT. He dutifully made his "safe" signal to indicate he had not violation on the play.

GaTech fans and coaches went ballistic. On the replay, it seemed that (at least, IMO) the ball was moving to F4's right, but she stepped to hr left and slightly extended her arms to absorb the contact. Umpires apparently believed she played the runner, hence stopped playing the ball and refused to call the INT.
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

I thought it was a good call. The best reply angle was from home plate because it was most in line with the way U1 saw the play develop. It clearly showed F4 break towards first after the ball was hit, then realized the ball was going more towards second. She then change her direction and made contact with the runner. If she would have ran straight up on the ball nothing would have happened. This was clearly an oops on her part and U1 correctly did not penalize the runner.

I thought the zone was a little tight and was being called on where the ball hit the glove verse where it hit the plate.

I've umpired Jess since the time she was 8 through HS. I tweeted her that she had OBS/INT backwards again. I wounder if that is why she corrected herself.
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
I thought it was a good call. The best reply angle was from home plate because it was most in line with the way U1 saw the play develop. It clearly showed F4 break towards first after the ball was hit, then realized the ball was going more towards second. She then change her direction and made contact with the runner. If she would have ran straight up on the ball nothing would have happened. This was clearly an oops on her part and U1 correctly did not penalize the runner.

I thought the zone was a little tight and was being called on where the ball hit the glove verse where it hit the plate.

I've umpired Jess since the time she was 8 through HS. I tweeted her that she had OBS/INT backwards again. I wounder if that is why she corrected herself.
Too late! She must have said "obstruction" more than a half-dozen times before she corrected herself. But it really didn't make any difference, she did not understand why the umpire did not call INT and was adament that it should have been INT, regardless of the obvious embellishment.

There was a dugout shot of Yee at the end of that inning and she was smiling big-time. Wonder if that was the play under discussion