The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Even NCAA Div 1 Umps are to quick to call OBS.

LSU Florida Obstruction

Beside the commentators not knowing the difference between OBS and INT (I wish ESPN would require them to read the rule book. I tweeted Jess to tell her the difference).

Did anyone else think the PU should not have called obstruction when Shortridge (R) tried to get back to 3rd in the top of 1? The reason I ask is because U3 had the whole play in front of her and she obviously saw that the R was out before the obstruction occurred.

Oh well he made up for his call by calling her out at home.

BTW I am an LSU alumni so no bias here.
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
Did anyone else think the PU should not have called obstruction when Shortridge (R) tried to get back to 3rd in the top of 1? The reason I ask is because U3 had the whole play in front of her and she obviously saw that the R was out before the obstruction occurred.
I didn't see the play, but what does U3's knowledge have to do with the PU calling OBS?
Old Fri May 14, 2010, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

U3 was set in foul territory in line with 2nd and 3rd. She had all elements in front of her. Sac Bunt poped up to F1 towards the back of circle. F5 playing up F6 goes to 3rd for the tag-up appeal. F5 also is going towards 3rd. she is on the baseline running towards third. The ball gets to 3rd before R runs in to F5. In my judgement the runner did not slow down one bit before running in to F5 therefore she was not impeded until she contacted (or moments before) F5. My understanding is NCAA is "about to recieve" which even gives more latitude to the situation because the ball was their a good second before contact was made.

The PU was on the line looking straight up to 3rd. IMHO he was blocked out from seeing the catch. Plus he signaled obstruction after U3 signaled an out. Of course I am seeing this on TV with instant replay and the ability to rewind.

But a follow up question does arise. You are U3 you call an out before your parner signals OBS. Do you have OBS? The Florida Coach did question the call but got nowhere.
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
U3 was set in foul territory in line with 2nd and 3rd. She had all elements in front of her. Sac Bunt poped up to F1 towards the back of circle. F5 playing up F6 goes to 3rd for the tag-up appeal. F5 also is going towards 3rd. she is on the baseline running towards third. The ball gets to 3rd before R runs in to F5. In my judgement the runner did not slow down one bit before running in to F5 therefore she was not impeded until she contacted (or moments before) F5. My understanding is NCAA is "about to recieve" which even gives more latitude to the situation because the ball was their a good second before contact was made.

The PU was on the line looking straight up to 3rd. IMHO he was blocked out from seeing the catch. Plus he signaled obstruction after U3 signaled an out. Of course I am seeing this on TV with instant replay and the ability to rewind.
Not defending the call, just trying to breakdown the possibilities. Yes, seeing the overall view from a remote camera is actually an advantage. But put yourself on the field.

Let's start with the "about to receive". That only permits the player receiving the ball to be in the basepath. From your description, that would have been F6, not F5.

Also, just because you see the arm come out does not mean, and I can pretty much guarantee it didn't, the OBS occurred at that exact moment. Apparently (or hopefully) the PU (Chad S) saw or heard something that initiated the call.

Jana T (U3) is just going to make the call at the base since it is still a live ball. This is something an umpire should always do unless they are the umpire which called the OBS.

I would like to think that at this level, the call can be substantiated and wasn't a piece of an OOO.
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the in put. I am sure on the field I would have saw the same thing as the PU and made the same call.
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the in put. I am sure on the field I would have saw the same thing as the PU and made the same call.
But wouldn't it be great if we had cameras and multiple angles available on the field?

Of course, the game would take five hours, but we would get it right, right?
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

This one's easy... F5 obstructed the runner without the ball and was not about to receive it... this is textbook obstruction. Doesn't matter whether F6 was about to receive it or ALREADY HAD IT. F5 obstructed. Period.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the play and also had obstruction. Even have the game on TIVO. Replayed many times. Still come up with obstruction.
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
This one's easy... F5 obstructed the runner without the ball and was not about to receive it... this is textbook obstruction. Doesn't matter whether F6 was about to receive it or ALREADY HAD IT. F5 obstructed. Period.
Sorry but the obstruction did not occur until after the out was made. It's not that easy. That is why it is called judgment. If I was the coach I would have asked a simple question. "When did the obstruction occur"? Tex look at it again. Shortridge was not obstructed until she made contact with F5 (she was going full speed until that time), and at that time the out was already made.

Last edited by vcblue; Sat May 22, 2010 at 01:16am.
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

I have re-played this play many times. The obstruction happened either an instant before or at the same time the out was made at third. Too close to call. The obstruction did not happen after the out.

Keep in mind the out was called by the umpire at 3rd base and the obstruction was called by the home plate umpire.

I was surprised that both umpires did not get together to discuss the play.
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

And that is my point the umpire that had all the elements in front of her at 90 degrees did not call obs, but the umpire that had at least to players blocking his view of the whole play did.