The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 04:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Please email our Governor and ask him to sign Senate bill 613, which makes it a crime to not leave a sporting event when directed to do so by an official. Here is the link to the site on which you can email him. Thanks.

http://governor.oregon.gov/contact.htm
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Awesome idea....

Good Luck Oregon!
Old Sat Jul 26, 2003, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Johnnyweekends Send a message via AIM to Johnnyweekends
Oregon officials - please help

Mark,
While I am for most anything that can help keep "excited" people in check, I question the need for sending unruly fans to jail simply because we (Umpire, referee, etc) say so. It's always been my understanding that there were already laws on the books dealing with assault and trespass, not to mention the option of forfeiting a contest, that the bill being considered is simply duplicating and needlessly expanding on avenues already available to deal with agitated spectators. As a person with many years of officiating experience(30 years baseball, 19 years hockey), I can't understand why our state legislature, which can't pass a state budget or fund our schools, is even considering this bill. It seems, while noble in it's efforts, to be a monumental waste of time which could be better spent on matters of a more important nature in our daily lives, which affect way more people than dealing with an unruly fan at a sporting event does.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 12:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up Re: Oregon officials - please help

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnnyweekends
Mark,
While I am for most anything that can help keep "excited" people in check, I question the need for sending unruly fans to jail simply because we (Umpire, referee, etc) say so. It's always been my understanding that there were already laws on the books dealing with assault and trespass, not to mention the option of forfeiting a contest, that the bill being considered is simply duplicating and needlessly expanding on avenues already available to deal with agitated spectators. As a person with many years of officiating experience(30 years baseball, 19 years hockey), I can't understand why our state legislature, which can't pass a state budget or fund our schools, is even considering this bill. It seems, while noble in it's efforts, to be a monumental waste of time which could be better spent on matters of a more important nature in our daily lives, which affect way more people than dealing with an unruly fan at a sporting event does.
Too late, dude. The Governor signed the bill on August 4th.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Johnnyweekends Send a message via AIM to Johnnyweekends
Re: Re: Oregon officials - please help

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Too late, dude. The Governor signed the bill on August 4th. [/B]
Dude? Awfully informal, aren't we?

Again, while I am behind efforts to make the officiating atmosphere better, I still find it a bit baffling that our state can pass a bill into law like that, but do little to bring down the unemployment rate and nothing at all to pass a balanced budget. Governor "Tax-and-gouge-me" needs to figure out priorities.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 11:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Post Re: Re: Re: Oregon officials - please help

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnnyweekends
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Too late, dude. The Governor signed the bill on August 4th.
Dude? Awfully informal, aren't we? [/B]
Oh! Excuse me Mr. Weekends, sir. I didn't realize I was being "awfully informal". I thought I was being "informally awful". Please accept my abject apology.