The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Auburn vs Ole Miss Int or Obs.

Did any one see the collision of R1 going from 1st to 2nd.

R1 on 1st, B2 hits a shot right at F4, F3 playing up and fields the ball. Before F3 fields the ball F4 (playing behind the base line) is coming in to field the ball and R1 crashes into her. 1U singles obstruction, R1 then staggers towards the top of the circle and goes down. 1U calls dead ball and awards R1 2nd and B2 1st.

I do not umpire NCAA therefore I am thinking through this play using ASA Rules. If this was an 18G ASA game I think 1U botched the call because when the collision occurred F3 had not yet fielded the ball and F4 was "...attempting to field a batted fair ball." (8-7-j-1 and RS33). Dead Ball R1 out for interference B2 placed on 1st.

Now had F3 fielded the ball before the collision then I think you have obstruction because F4 could not field a ball that has already been fielded.

Any thoughts (Try using ASA rule set)
Old Mon Apr 26, 2010, 06:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
Did any one see the collision of R1 going from 1st to 2nd.

R1 on 1st, B2 hits a shot right at F4, F3 playing up and fields the ball. Before F3 fields the ball F4 (playing behind the base line) is coming in to field the ball and R1 crashes into her. 1U singles obstruction, R1 then staggers towards the top of the circle and goes down. 1U calls dead ball and awards R1 2nd and B2 1st.

I do not umpire NCAA therefore I am thinking through this play using ASA Rules. If this was an 18G ASA game I think 1U botched the call because when the collision occurred F3 had not yet fielded the ball and F4 was "...attempting to field a batted fair ball." (8-7-j-1 and RS33). Dead Ball R1 out for interference B2 placed on 1st.

Now had F3 fielded the ball before the collision then I think you have obstruction because F4 could not field a ball that has already been fielded.

Any thoughts (Try using ASA rule set)
Only one defender is protected on a batted ball. It is up to the umpire to determine which player had the most likely opportunity to field the batted ball and that is the player protected.

Apparently, F4 was not that player and F3's fielding of the ball demonstrated the umpire's good judgment
Old Mon Apr 26, 2010, 09:04am
GrumpUmp

Yes it was the correct call by the base umpire. The commentators disagreed with the call. They also said that if the ruling was obstruction the runner would be called out but if interference was ruled then the runner would be placed at 2nd base. Wouldn't it be nice if they had an umpire as a commentator or is that to much to ask?
Old Mon Apr 26, 2010, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Only one defender is protected on a batted ball. It is up to the umpire to determine which player had the most likely opportunity to field the batted ball and that is the player protected.

Apparently, F4 was not that player and F3's fielding of the ball demonstrated the umpire's good judgment
Irish. Can you give me the ASA rule that supports your statement. I can not find it. But if that is the case then he made the right call and I just learned something new (to me).
Old Mon Apr 26, 2010, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpUmp View Post
Yes it was the correct call by the base umpire. The commentators disagreed with the call. They also said that if the ruling was obstruction the runner would be called out but if interference was ruled then the runner would be placed at 2nd base. Wouldn't it be nice if they had an umpire as a commentator or is that to much to ask?

Yes I was calling her stupid also. And yes I think they should have Irish in the booth with them during the Road to the World Series.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2010, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Irish. Can you give me the ASA rule that supports your statement. I can not find it. But if that is the case then he made the right call and I just learned something new (to me).
It was an NCAA game. The NCAA rule is 12.9.7 Note 2
Old Mon Apr 26, 2010, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Rich thanks for the NCAA rule. I am not saying he got the call wrong per NCAA, I am trying to apply his call using the ASA rules set. Basically What-if this was an ASA 18 Gold game would the same call be made and if so under what rule. IRISH I have read the ASA rule and RS and can not find Only one defender is protected on a batted ball.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2010, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rich thanks for the NCAA rule. I am not saying he got the call wrong per NCAA, I am trying to apply his call using the ASA rules set. Basically What-if this was an ASA 18 Gold game would the same call be made and if so under what rule. IRISH I have read the ASA rule and RS and can not find Only one defender is protected on a batted ball.
In my old online copy of the ASA rules (2007), I see the following. The rule number may have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA Rules 2007
8.8 The runner is NOT out
C. When more than one fielder attempts to field a batted ball and the runner comes into contact with the one who, in the judgment of the umpire, could not have made an out.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2010, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How about ....

Quote:
Rule 8 Section 8. RUNNER IS NOT OUT.
C. When more than one fielder attempts to field a batted ball and the runner comes into contact with the one who, in the umpire’s judgment could not have made an out.
Quote:
PLAY 8.9-1
With no outs, R1 on 3B and R2 on 2B, B3 hits a grounder toward the hole between F5 and F6. F5 cuts in front of F6 and just as F5 grabs the ball, R2 knocks over F6 who was in the base line. F5 drops the ball and all runners are safe.
RULING: Correct procedure. When two or more infielders attempt to field a batted ball, only one is entitled to the benefit of the interference rule. Since F5 actually touched the ball, R2’s contact with F6 constitutes obstruction, not interference. Since all runners were safe, obstruction is not enforced. (8-5B[3]; 8-8C)
... from the 2009 ASA Case Book
Old Mon Apr 26, 2010, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you. I can know easily see how 1U judged because F3 was pull so far up and towards the circle that even if she missed it their would have been no fielder at 1st for F4 to make an OUT. Also if R1 ran did not collide with F4 there was a more than good chance she would not be able to make an OUT at 2nd.