Old Thu Apr 22, 2010, 09:09am
#thereferee99

Help me kind gentlepersons!

ASA Slowpitch.
I'm PU. 2 outs, 2 strikes on batter.

Pitch is delivered, low but legal.
Batter takes pitch.
I call strike 3.

Batter and on-deck hitter start yelling that catcher said, "illegal" when pitch was in flight.
I have nothing. Didn't hear it. Ask partner, he has nothing.
3 outs. End of inning. Players on 'offended' side fuming.

Questions:
Had the catcher indeed yelled, called or said, "Illegal" in the situation described do we have anything? If so, what is remedy.

What are restrictions on catchers utterings? I have had sitches where teams are 'bothered' by a vocal catcher who is talking during pitches. "That's a good one, Charlie", etc.
Old Thu Apr 22, 2010, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post

Questions:
Had the catcher indeed yelled, called or said, "Illegal" in the situation described do we have anything? If so, what is remedy.
If you heard it, you can rule catcher's obs.

Quote:
What are restrictions on catchers utterings? I have had sitches where teams are 'bothered' by a vocal catcher who is talking during pitches. "That's a good one, Charlie", etc.
Couldn't care less what one player says to a teammate. If they direct a comment to the opposition in what I judge to intentional distract the player and consider it be unsporstmanlike, I stop it there. There is no purpose for such action other than unsportsmanlike actions.

For those who think it is part of the game, let's talk about your mama, papa and sister and their sexual preferences and tendencies. IOW, there is no place for this other than escalate into something not good.

I've been there, done that and it isn't worth ducking the bats and balls being thrown or the time you spend with the police after the riot.

I am not saying there cannot be friendly banter between the players, even some unfriendly banter. Just not when the pitch is approaching the plate or when a fielder is attempting to catch the ball.