The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Two test questions

NFHS test questions but I'm curious to know what the ruling would be (if different) in ASA and PONY.

About interference:

No runs will ever be allowed to score after interference on a runner is declared.

About the DP/FLEX:

The DP may play defense, but if she does, the role of the DP is terminated for the remainder of the game.

What my organization said the answers were ....

I'll post later.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

And the answers are....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBlueASA View Post
NFHS test questions but I'm curious to know what the ruling would be (if different) in ASA and PONY.

About interference:

No runs will ever be allowed to score after interference on a runner is declared.
Not true. If there was a runner on third and they score before the interference then the run counts.

Quote:
About the DP/FLEX:

The DP may play defense, but if she does, the role of the DP is terminated for the remainder of the game.

Again not true. The DP can play defense for any of the other 8 players. Even the FLEX. In that case the FLEX has left the game but the role of the DP is not terminated.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Thank you rwest.

I completely agree with your second answer, but the first one I want to clarify.

the question states that:

My thinking is that is true.

Once you have declared interference, the ball is dead, and all runners return to the last base they occupied at the time of the interference. In that case, no runner can be sent home....or am I missing something?

by the way, the "correct" answers I was given were:

No runners will ever be allowed to score after interference on a runner is declared.

False. (if that is the case, I want to know what situation CAN they score AFTER interference is called.)

True. (Which CAN'T be, because the DP/FLEX role can never be terminated - unless you don't have enough players remaining due to substitutions or injury, and even then it's not terminated, you are not able to use it.)

Can someone clarify my confusion?

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you rwest.

I completely agree with your second answer, but the first one I want to clarify.

the question states that:

My thinking is that is true.

Once you have declared interference, the ball is dead, and all runners return to the last base they occupied at the time of the interference. In that case, no runner can be sent home....or am I missing something?

No runners will ever be allowed to score after interference on a runner is declared.

False. (if that is the case, I want to know what situation CAN they score AFTER interference is called.)

True. (Which CAN'T be, because the DP/FLEX role can never be terminated - unless you don't have enough players remaining due to substitutions or injury, and even then it's not terminated, you are not able to use it.)

Can someone clarify my confusion?
Who gave you the "correct" answers?
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
False. (if that is the case, I want to know what situation CAN they score AFTER interference is called.)Can someone clarify my confusion?
Fastpitch, or slowpitch where homeruns must be run out by all players. R1 on 1st base with no outs, B2 hits an out-of-the park homerun. R1 misses 3rd base, and the third base coach physically stops R1, and physically assists R1 back to touch 3rd.

Ruling: R1 is ruled out by coach interference, but B2 scores (assuming all bases properly touched).
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:

If so, does that make the test writers a bit unethical.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Fastpitch, or slowpitch where homeruns must be run out by all players. R1 on 1st base with no outs, B2 hits an out-of-the park homerun. R1 misses 3rd base, and the third base coach physically stops R1, and physically assists R1 back to touch 3rd.

Ruling: R1 is ruled out by coach interference, but B2 scores (assuming all bases properly touched).
If we are speaking ASA, must the ball not be live for "runner's assistence" (which is not interference) for the runner to be ruled out? (8.7.E)
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
If we are speaking ASA, must the ball not be live for "runner's assistence" (which is not interference) for the runner to be ruled out? (8.7.E)
I'm not sure about that one. What about that situation last season or the year before where the batter hit an over the fence HR but injured her knee. It was the defensive players who carried her around the bases so she could touch 'em all. Technically, if she couldn't continue and the defense hadn't carried her, could a substitute have run for her? What if there were no subs available?
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:

About interference:

About the DP/FLEX:

What my organization said the answers were ....

I'll post later.
I am just curious why you are taking the NF test in NY.....NYSSO specifically uses ASA JO rules... are there schools there that play NFHS???
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I'm not sure about that one. What about that situation last season or the year before where the batter hit an over the fence HR but injured her knee. It was the defensive players who carried her around the bases so she could touch 'em all. Technically, if she couldn't continue and the defense hadn't carried her, could a substitute have run for her? What if there were no subs available?
Yes. While it made good press, the umpires kicked the call. From NCAA Rule Book:

8.5.3.2 If an injury to a batter-runner or runner prevents her from
proceeding to an awarded base, the ball is dead and substitution may
be made. The substitute must legally touch all awarded or missed
bases not previously touched.

However, my response was specific to ASA. But this is also from NCAA Rule Book:

12.9.5 When a coach or anyone other than another runner who has not yet crossed the plate physically assists her while she is actively running the bases and the ball is in play.

So, it seems the NCAA is similar if not the same as ASA.