Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Stump the ump....

UIC presented this play at a tournament last week:

Any ruleset

R1 on third, R2 on first, less than two outs. F2 does not catch or drops strike 3.

Batter takes off for first, F2 retrieves ball and throws toward first, hitting the former batter in the back. R2 was not trying to advance, but was diving back into first.

What call, if any, do you have?????
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

This is exact play is being discussed in Louisiana a LOT.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Trying to think at real-time speed, (as opposed to forum-discussion speed):

If IMO the catcher was attempting a pickoff throw (instead of thinking D3K), I'd have the batter out (strike 3 + INT), and R1 is out.

If I feel it's simply a mistaken D3K situation, live ball, play on (dumb move, F2).

I'm assuming 8.7.P (note) refers to an actual D3K situation, not a mistaken one.

Can't wait to read the proper interp.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

isnt the runner closest to home out when interference is called on a already retired player?... at least in FED land it is? yeah which R1 would be (edit by me) lol
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
isnt the runner closest to home out when interference is called on a already retired player?... at least in FED land it is? yeah which R1 would be (edit by me) lol
That is my thinking as well. The batter was already retired, so you have interference by an already retired player. The batter is out on strike 3, and the runner closest to home is also out. If R2 would have been advancing, she would have been sent back to 1st anyway (runners return to the last base touched at the time of interference).

This is not a case that the runner was trying to break up a double play.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
I was gonna get you on that...you're too quick for me.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

In ASA and Fed, there is an exception for the "retired runner continuing to run and drawing a throw" interference rule (ASA 8-7P, NFHS 8-7-18) for a batter-runner running on the dropped third strike rule.

Even though both books word this exception in an unfortunate manner, leading to constant arguments/discussions as to whether it applies when the D3K rule is not in effect, when the batter is still a batter and not a BR, etc., etc., case plays such as NFHS 8.1.1-B make it clear the exception applies to when the batter/BR runs "as if" on the D3K rule.

Therefore, the retired batter is not out for merely running and drawing a throw. I don't see how being hit with the thrown ball changes anything.

Last edited by Dakota; Fri Mar 19, 2010 at 12:12pm.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
In ASA and Fed, there is an exception for the "retired runner continuing to run and drawing a throw" interference rule (ASA 8-7P, NFHS 8-7-18) for a batter-runner running on the dropped third strike rule.

Even though both books word this exception in an unfortunate manner, leading to constant arguments/discussions as to whether it applies with the D3K rule is not in effect, when the batter is still a batter and not a BR, etc., etc., case plays such as NFHS 8.1.1-B make it clear the exception applies to when the batter/BR runs "as if" on the D3K rule.

Therefore, the retired batter is not out for merely running and drawing a throw. I don't see how being hit with the thrown ball changes anything.
Generally agree, but "hitting the former batter in the back" is not very specific. Does the running lane rule apply to this sitch and if so, did the non-BR interfere with the fielder taking a throw?

The jmkkupka comment "If IMO the catcher was attempting a pickoff throw (instead of thinking D3K), I'd have the batter out (strike 3 + INT), and R1 is out." is worth considering.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

(snip)

I agree with you there, in fact, I've argueed that point in locally several times.
When reading the post for some reason, I was picturing the addition of the runner being outside the running lane.

Although this doesn't actually qualify as a running lane violation - it still could be enough to qualify for the first sentence of 8-6-18, eh?
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
...The jmkkupka comment "If IMO the catcher was attempting a pickoff throw (instead of thinking D3K), I'd have the batter out (strike 3 + INT), and R1 is out." is worth considering.
Why does it matter what F2 was thinking and how would the umpire know? The exception applies to the runner's actions.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why does it matter what F2 was thinking and how would the umpire know? The exception applies to the runner's actions.
You are right, it doesn't make a difference.........if you believe that is what happened.

The exception only excludes the retired BR from being called for interference when drawing a throw on an uncaught third strike.

However, I do not believe that exemption applies to interfering with a thrown ball or play.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are right, what does it matter what the catcher was thinking.
The catcher was throwing the ball to first base and the retired batter was (intentionally, if you need it) where she shouldn't be and interfered with the throw.
She isn't interfering by drawing the throw (where the exception would be valid), she is intefering by putting herself in the path of the throw.

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Fri Mar 19, 2010 at 02:52pm.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

So is the concensus on these situations:

a) R2 was standing with her arms crossed on 1B
b) R2 on her way to 2B
c) R2 is diving back into 1B

situation a, b: Nothing (no play, not interfering with a play)
situation c: Runner closest to home (R1) out for interference.

Is that right?
Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC View Post
So is the concensus on these situations:

a) R2 was standing with her arms crossed on 1B
b) R2 on her way to 2B
c) R2 is diving back into 1B

situation a, b: Nothing (no play, not interfering with a play)
situation c: Runner closest to home (R1) out for interference.

Is that right?
IMHO:
A) Nothing - no play
B) Interference - f2 may throw to first to try and get a run down or some type of play on R2.
C) Interference.
ASA Lifetime Member
ASA, NFHS, NCAA
[IAABO95]

Softball is serious, life is a mere distraction.
http://twitter.com/MASoftballUmpTJ
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 03:08pm
wife loves the goatee...

I'm not rewarding a bad throw / decision by F2. If, in my judgement, B1 is unaware that she is out on strikes, there is no interference.