The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Talking

1. 4th-10 from A’s 6 yard line. A1 in scrimmage kick formation fumbles the snap so he throws a forward pass to ineligible A2 who is also in the EZ. A2 muffs the ball and it falls incomplete.

2. A1 throws a screen pass to A2 who is behind the NZ. The ball is tipped by B1 who is in the in the offensive backfield and the deflected ball now goes beyond the NZ. Ineligible A8 is beyond the ENZ before the ball ever gets tipped by B1.

3a) A1 goes airborn and catches a pass just inside B’s EZ. Before he returns to the ground he is knocked back into the field of play by B1, and is downed at the 2 yard line. TD or not?? 3b) Does it make a difference is he lands OOB’s?? 3c) What if the same play happened with the catch being made at the B20 yard line and he is driven OOB’s at the B22? clarify NF or NCAA as there WILL be a difference!
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

OK, here's a shot using FED in all cases.

1) It's definitely a safety if the foul is accepted. I'm going to go with a safety if the foul is declined as well with the logic that it was an illegal forward pass and since the run ended there, that's where the next play would normally take place, which would also result in a safety. I didn't check the rule book on this one as I'm trying to answer these questions as if it happened on the field and I needed to make a snap decision.

2) No foul. The ineligible player becomes eligible when the B player touches the ball. So, when the ball finally crosses the NZ all down-field players are eligible, no matter how many there are.

3a) TD
3b) I say it's still a TD
3c) Forward progress applies, ball at the 20.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

I'm partially correct in 1b but I'll leave it to someone else since I looked it up after my initial response. I don't want to ruin it for anybody who wants to take a shot.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

[Canadian Ruling - Sorry JugglingReferee I still do not know how to add the icon for this.]

1. Illegal forward pass with foul and ball in end zone. Option to B to decline penalty and take possession on the 6 or accept the penalty which is a safety.

2. Assuming that the tip occured immediately after as the ball was being thrown, the tip is ignored in this case and ineligibles could not legally catch the pass. However, since the pass was intended to be thrown behind the LOS, ineligible receivers are not penalized for going downfield.

3a) TD
b) Assuming he would have landed inbounds without the contact by B, then TD. If there was no contact by B then the pass is incomplete so no TD.
c) Possession at B20.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Question 1:

I don't see the illegal forward pass. It does not appear that he was beyond the LOS when he threw. I have illegal touching by the ineligible. Basic spot would be previous spot since loose ball play. However, foul occured behind basic spot (in A's endzone). Therefore, safety if foul accepted. If not accepted-B's ball first and goal at the previous spot (6 yard line) due to incomplete pass.

Same result different foul.

[Edited by parepat on Jan 26th, 2005 at 12:06 AM]
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I mistyped. It is ineligible receiver, not illegal forward pass. Same signal and penalty (in Canada) though.