The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Is there a hole in 8-7-J

Situation:

Bases loaded. R1 on 3rd; R2 on 2nd; R3 on 1st. B4 hits a ground ball to F4. R3 intentionally interferes with F4 and in the opinion of the umpire was done to prevent a double play.

Based on 8-7-J the umpire is supposed to rule the trailing runner out. However, we don't have a trailing runner, we have a trailing batter-runner. So you can't use 8-7-J to get B4 out. Not if we are literally interpreting the word "runner" as defined in rule 1.

I don't believe we can use 8-2-K if we don't believe they are attempting to "complete the play on the batter-runner". In this case if F4 appears to be going home for the force out, 8-2-K doesn't apply.

So is there a hole in 8-7-J? Can we get two outs on this play and if so, what rule are you using?
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Situation:

Bases loaded. R1 on 3rd; R2 on 2nd; R3 on 1st. B4 hits a ground ball to F4. R3 intentionally interferes with F4 and in the opinion of the umpire was done to prevent a double play.
How did R3 interfere? Was R3 already out at the time of the INT? This is important as that would take the BR out of the equation.

Quote:
Based on 8-7-J the umpire is supposed to rule the trailing runner out. However, we don't have a trailing runner, we have a trailing batter-runner. So you can't use 8-7-J to get B4 out. Not if we are literally interpreting the word "runner" as defined in rule 1.
If you want to be technical, B4 becomes a runner the moment you kill the ball on the INT call. You cannot send the BR back to the B position, so you must award the BR 1B which, by rule definition, makes that player a runner.

Quote:
I don't believe we can use 8-2-K if we don't believe they are attempting to "complete the play on the batter-runner". In this case if F4 appears to be going home for the force out, 8-2-K doesn't apply.
If you don't believe part of the play included completing a play on the BR, than I don't believe you can apply 8.7.J.Effect.

Quote:
So is there a hole in 8-7-J? Can we get two outs on this play and if so, what rule are you using?
No and yes. See above.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

True but

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
How did R3 interfere? Was R3 already out at the time of the INT? This is important as that would take the BR out of the equation.
True. In this scenario R3 was not out on the interference.

Quote:
If you want to be technical, B4 becomes a runner the moment you kill the ball on the INT call. You cannot send the BR back to the B position, so you must award the BR 1B which, by rule definition, makes that player a runner.
Based on what rule or definition? By definition the batter-runner stay a batter-runner until they reach first base, at which time they become a runner, or they have been retired. It is true you can't send the BR back to the batter position, but that is not our only option. Whenever we have interference and the BR is not called out we place them on 1st base. So we don't have to send them back to bat.

Quote:
If you don't believe part of the play included completing a play on the BR, than I don't believe you can apply 8.7.J.Effect.
I don't agree. The rule says a double play not a play on the BR. The defense could be trying to turn a 4-2-5 double play. We can't assume that the double play includes a play at 1st. I would agree if you said we could not apply 8-2-K if no play at 1st was anticipated. This rule clearly stays "an attempt to complete the play on the batter-runner". What makes 8-7-J Effect not applicable is that the only additional out we can get is the trailing runner. The BR has not become a runner at this time, so we can't get them out. And since the BR is not a runner, there is no trailing runner. So 8-7-J Effect doesn't apply.

Quote:
No and yes. See above.
So, they way I see it, if R3, prior to being declared out, interferes with F4 and there was no play on the BR at 1b, then we can only get 1 out. 8-2-K does not apply because there was no attempt to complete the play on the batter runner. 8-7-J Effect does not apply because the BR is not a Runner.

I definitely see a hole in the rule. Maybe that's not the intent, but by the strictest definition of the terms runner and batter-runner and then applying those terms to rules 8-2-K and 8-7-J Effect, we definitely can't get two outs on the offered play.

Last edited by rwest; Sun Feb 28, 2010 at 12:17am.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Based on what rule or definition? By definition the batter-runner stay a batter-runner until they reach first base, at which time they become a runner, or they have been retired. It is true you can't send the BR back to the batter position, but that is not our only option. Whenever we have interference and the BR is not called out we place them on 1st base. So we don't have to send them back to bat.
Once you kill the ball on the INT call, that places the BR on 1B, that player becomes a runner. Read Rule 1.

Quote:
I don't agree. The rule says a double play not a play on the BR. The defense could be trying to turn a 4-2-5 double play. We can't assume that the double play includes a play at 1st.
But you can assume an unlikely attempt at a double play on the opposite side of the diamond? From F4? Okay, granted that could be a possibility, but I would contend that the umpire has really got to have a TWP-like imagination to even consider it without additional known quantifiers.

Quote:
I would agree if you said we could not apply 8-2-K if no play at 1st was anticipated. This rule clearly stays "an attempt to complete the play on the batter-runner". What makes 8-7-J Effect not applicable is that the only additional out we can get is the trailing runner. The BR has not become a runner at this time, so we can't get them out. And since the BR is not a runner, there is no trailing runner. So 8-7-J Effect doesn't apply.

So, they way I see it, if R3, prior to being declared out, interferes with F4 and there was no play on the BR at 1b, then we can only get 1 out.
Ah, yeah, that is sort of the point of the rule. The 2nd out is NOT automatic. There has to be a probable play to call the out.

Quote:
8-2-K does not apply because there was no attempt to complete the play on the batter runner. 8-7-J Effect does not apply because the BR is not a Runner.

I definitely see a hole in the rule. Maybe that's not the intent, but by the strictest definition of the terms runner and batter-runner and then applying those terms to rules 8-2-K and 8-7-J Effect, we definitely can't get two outs on the offered play.
Disagree.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Ex Post Facto Officiating

Quote:
Once you kill the ball on the INT call, that places the BR on 1B, that player becomes a runner. Read Rule 1.
No, once you kill the play the BR does not instantly become a Runner. You have to then enforce the penalty. It is now at this point you enforce 8-7-J. Part of the penalty for interference is placing the BR on 1st base if they are not declared out. That is part of the entire penalty. You can't put them on first base as part of the first enforcement of the penalty then further enforce the penalty a second time and then declare the BR, now a runner, out. It is the BR status at the time of the interference that is important. There is no rule in section 1 that makes the BR a Runner instantaneously on the interference call. It is our enforcement of the penalty that causes them to be designated a runner when we put them on 1st. When we kill the play they are still a BR.

Quote:
But you can assume an unlikely attempt at a double play on the opposite side of the diamond? From F4? Okay, granted that could be a possibility, but I would contend that the umpire has really got to have a TWP-like imagination to even consider it without additional known quantifiers.
It doesn't require a TWP. R1 on 3rd could be the winning run and with no outs F4 is definitely going home with the throw. As the play develops it may be that 3rd is the next best play to make. Slower runner on 2nd for one example. I agree 1st is the logical next play in many double play scenarios, but as you admitted it is a possibilty. I just don't believe it is a TWP.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Randall, let me give you a way to look at this, as well as other similar situations, which might help you grasp the nuance you are struggling with.

You need to consider a batter-runner as a subset of runners. While there are specific situations that apply only to batter-runners, all rules that apply to runners ALSO apply to batter-runners. Now, if you can accept that as a possibility, your challenge now is to disprove that theory; find any rule that contradicts that subset theory, or any rule that applies to runners that doesn't also apply to batter-runners.

Consider that you would apply "runner" interference to a batter-runner, running out of the base path, other issues defined only to runners, and you also apply missing a base (first) in the same way, even though there are not identical and mirroring rules in each and every instance.

If you get to that point, you can apply the rules you now consider to have holes equally.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 05:26am
Official Forum Member

the "hole" in your OP references ASA, but a small phrase in the 2010 NHFS case book might help explain away the hole, and provide some closure. it reads on p.65, situation 8.8.16, "R1 (or any runner) is permitted to complete her base-running responsibilities before a dead-ball appeal can be made."

You can look at it this way, if BR doesn't reach 1B, she can still be out, say for abandonment. if she reaches 1B even after the ball is called dead, she is "permitted to complete her run" to 1B, making her safe at 1B, and is a runner thereafter. you can consider this an awarded base, as in NHFS case book situation 8.5.3 (p.60). this is consistent w/ the 2010 NHFS rulebook 5-2a and 5-2c, as this is an award that still has to be completed legally like any other awarded base.

but this doesn't fix the ASA hole, since there is no similar language I can find in ASA materials.

Quote:
No, once you kill the play the BR does not instantly become a Runner. You have to then enforce the penalty. It is now at this point you enforce 8-7-J. Part of the penalty for interference is placing the BR on 1st base if they are not declared out. That is part of the entire penalty. You can't put them on first base as part of the first enforcement of the penalty then further enforce the penalty a second time and then declare the BR, now a runner, out. It is the BR status at the time of the interference that is important. There is no rule in section 1 that makes the BR a Runner instantaneously on the interference call. It is our enforcement of the penalty that causes them to be designated a runner when we put them on 1st. When we kill the play they are still a BR.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
...since there is no similar language i can find in ASA materials.
ASA 8-5-G EXCEPTION 1; RS 1-C-1,2, -D note.

Last edited by Dakota; Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 09:49am.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

No can do!

Quote:
the "hole" in your OP references ASA, but a small phrase in the 2010 NHFS case book might help explain away the hole, and provide some closure. it reads on p.65, situation 8.8.16, "R1 (or any runner) is permitted to complete her base-running responsibilities before a dead-ball appeal can be made."

You can look at it this way, if BR doesn't reach 1B, she can still be out, say for abandonment. if she reaches 1B even after the ball is called dead, she is "permitted to complete her run" to 1B, making her safe at 1B, and is a runner thereafter. you can consider this an awarded base, as in NHFS case book situation 8.5.3 (p.60). this is consistent w/ the 2010 NHFS rulebook 5-2a and 5-2c, as this is an award that still has to be completed legally like any other awarded base.

but this doesn't fix the ASA hole, since there is no similar language I can find in ASA materials.
This is not a delayed dead ball nor is it an awarded base. On interference it is an immediate dead ball and nothing can happen after that. The only thing that makes the BR a Runner is our enforcement of the penalty for interference. Any time we call interference and we don't also call the BR out then we put them on 1st base.

I don't have my Fed rule books with me because in Georgia, we call in the Fall. My FED season has been over for several months.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Again, not applicable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
ASA 8-5-G EXCEPTION 1; RS 1-C-1,2, -D note.
We can't apply the appeal or awarded bases rules to this scenario. This is an immediate dead ball. The BR could miss 1st on her way to 2nd and the defense could not appeal her missing 1st. We've killed the play long before the runner missed 1st. It never happened.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We can't apply the appeal or awarded bases rules to this scenario. This is an immediate dead ball. The BR could miss 1st on her way to 2nd and the defense could not appeal her missing 1st. We've killed the play long before the runner missed 1st. It never happened.
If you notice, I was only responding to shag's comment about an ASA reference similar to his Fed reference.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Yep, got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
If you notice, I was only responding to shag's comment about an ASA reference similar to his Fed reference.
Sorry about that!
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

the batter-runner doesn't reach first base when dead-ball is called in your OP. I didn't find anything in asa materials that says the batter-runner is AWARDED first base on the immediate dead-ball on the INT call, but I did find it in NHFS case book situation 8.5.3 (p.60).

I was looking for some supplement to close the rules "hole" posted in your OP. allowing "runners" to finish their running responsibilities could close that hole, which dakota (tom) did find in the asa rules supplement to the same effect.

Quote:
This is not a delayed dead ball nor is it an awarded base. On interference it is an immediate dead ball and nothing can happen after that. The only thing that makes the BR a Runner is our enforcement of the penalty for interference. Any time we call interference and we don't also call the BR out then we put them on 1st base.

I don't have my Fed rule books with me because in Georgia, we call in the Fall. My FED season has been over for several months.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the batter-runner doesn't reach first base when dead-ball is called in your OP. I didn't find anything in asa materials that says the batter-runner is AWARDED first base on the immediate dead-ball on the INT call, but I did find it in NHFS case book situation 8.5.3 (p.60).

I was looking for some supplement to close the rules "hole" posted in your OP. allowing "runners" to finish their running responsibilities could close that hole, which dakota (tom) did find in the asa rules supplement to the same effect.
Underneath 8-7-L:
Quote:
NOTE - Section 7J-L: When runners are called out for interference, the batter-runner is awarded first base.
I do not view this as a loophole. The rule does not say that it has to be a double play on a runner, only that it's an attempt to break up a double play. Since the BR is awarded 1B as per the quoted note above, they are now a runner, and are subject to the prescribed penalty.

For the record, I haven't been paying 100% attention to this thread. I think we're looking for a loophole that just isn't there.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Underneath 8-7-L:

I do not view this as a loophole. The rule does not say that it has to be a double play on a runner, only that it's an attempt to break up a double play. Since the BR is awarded 1B as per the quoted note above, they are now a runner, and are subject to the prescribed penalty.

For the record, I haven't been paying 100% attention to this thread. I think we're looking for a loophole that just isn't there.
This is a stretch. If we take a rule that talks about something happening to a runner who has already scored you wouldn't apply that to a runner who was awarded home since he will be a runner who has already scored once he takes the award.
It's a much shorter path to the right answer to go Steve's way in my mind. The B-R is a special kind of runner and this rule just isn't precise in who it mentions because the situation where it would need to be is so obscure.

;-) Besides if you aren't going to call him out until he's a runner, you have to award the BR 1st, watch him walk down and then call him out when he gets there which is just asking for trouble ;-)
________
VAPORIZER WIKI

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:15pm.