The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

ITB - 9th spot vacant

Top of 11 and B1 is scheduled to lead off. B9 was injured, ejected or left to finish her trig homework. For the international tie breaker, do you (a) put B8 at 2nd, (b) just leave 2nd empty or (c) start the inning with one out?

(This came up at our preseason meeting and we got an immediate ruling since the state director happened to be in the building. I just thought I'd post it anyway to provoke a little thinking. )
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post
Top of 11 and B1 is scheduled to lead off. B9 was injured, ejected or left to finish her trig homework. For the international tie breaker, do you (a) put B8 at 2nd, (b) just leave 2nd empty or (c) start the inning with one out?

(This came up at our preseason meeting and we got an immediate ruling since the state director happened to be in the building. I just thought I'd post it anyway to provoke a little thinking. )
Not to be a smart ***, but this is so simple, I find it hard to believe there are people still out there that do not understand this.

When a tie breaker is in effect, there is ALWAYS a runner placed on 2B. There cannot be an "automatic" out since no situation exists where that rule would apply.

It is ALWAYS the player (or a substitute) scheduled to bat last in that inning. That doesn't mean the third player, but that last scheduled to bat prior to the lead-off batting a second time in that same half inning.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Mike's correct. If B1 is scheduled to bat first in the inning, you go to whoever precedes her in the lineup. If that player is injured, ejected, etc., you just go to whoever precedes HER in the lineup, which is B8.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

A point of clarification please.

If B9 had left the game via ejection, and the team was only playing 9, wouldn't the game be forfeited?

There could be other situations where a team started w/ more than 9, B9 was ejected and replaced in the lineup with a sub, game continues. Then the sub gets hurt or has to leave and the game continues w/ an automatic out when that batter is due up.

Do I have this right?

Thanx.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
A point of clarification please.

If B9 had left the game via ejection, and the team was only playing 9, wouldn't the game be forfeited?

There could be other situations where a team started w/ more than 9, B9 was ejected and replaced in the lineup with a sub, game continues. Then the sub gets hurt or has to leave and the game continues w/ an automatic out when that batter is due up.

Do I have this right?

Thanx.
Under strict ASA rules, yes, you're correct. Good catch.

A lot of local leagues, however, have rules that supersede this rule, as their emphasis is on participation and not allowing one bad apple to ruin their fun.

Moral of the story? Know where you're calling.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Not to be a smart ***, but this is so simple, I find it hard to believe there are people still out there that do not understand this.
Plus, throw in the fact that this very situation is summed up in two sentences right there in the rule book under the Tie-Breaker Rule and it kind of puts a quick end to any debate!
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

When a tie breaker is in effect, there is ALWAYS a runner placed on 2B. There cannot be an "automatic" out since no situation exists where that rule would apply.

It is ALWAYS the player (or a substitute) scheduled to bat last in that inning. That doesn't mean the third player, but that last scheduled to bat prior to the lead-off batting a second time in that same half inning.
I disagree.

B1= leadoff batter that inning. B9=empty spot in the batting order, team playing shorthanded. B9 was the final out of the previous inning.

In the ITB, the last out goes on 2B. Since the last out was an absent player, no player is placed on 2B.

I have that ruling officially from my UIC.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

BTW, UIC... Uber Informed Coach
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I disagree.

B1= leadoff batter that inning. B9=empty spot in the batting order, team playing shorthanded. B9 was the final out of the previous inning.

In the ITB, the last out goes on 2B. Since the last out was an absent player, no player is placed on 2B.

Is it the last out that is placed on 2B? Or the last batter scheduled to bat?
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BTW, UIC... Uber Informed Coach
Oops, sorry, I missed this the first time. . .
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Quote:
I disagree.

The last out does not go on 2B.

Last edited by shipwreck; Fri Jan 22, 2010 at 02:55pm.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
The last out does not go on 2B.
I think he was being facetious.

Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Sorry about that. You are correct and I did not mean to confuse things.

All the umpires and the state director agree as noted above that you put the last batter of the inning on the base. If B9 is an empty spot, then use B8. (How often do you get a room full of umpires to agee.)
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't think International softball had a tie breaker rule.

Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
I didn't think International softball had a tie breaker rule.

I'm not sure what point you are making. International softball originated the tiebreaker rule, most often called the ITB, standing for International Tie Breaker. Unfortunately, that is only accurate in international softball; in every other case, it is simply the tiebreaker rule of whatever organization has that rule (which most often is modeled after the ITB); ie the ASA tiebreaker rule, the NCAA tiebreaker rule, etc.

As is true in ASA, the tiebreaker rule is generally not in effect in adult play; it is used in youth/JO/junior softball.