The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 06:33pm
sp279

To kinda piggy back on infield fly....

NFHS rules.....season's not for a few months yet but wanna get this right.

Last season, lot of coaches complained it was not an "Infield fly" because the arc of the ball was not a straight up, then down. Most times doing JV or lower, it don't go that high anyway.

So....to call it right, what is the correct "arc"? Where is that "line"? This is even more accentuated when there's 2 outs, a player lets it fall to the ground, I've called the batter out, there's a runner in scoring position at 3rd and boy do you hear it.
Thoughts?
Thanks.
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

There is no "line" or height requirement. Umpire's judgment. One possibility might be to remove your mask, clear the catcher and plate area and if you still have time to point at it and call it prior to the catch attempt it it's probably high enough. Otherwise let the chips fall. You also might want to reread the infield fly rule 2-30 page 26, 8-2-9 and 8-2-10 page 63 and reconsider your two out IFF and "let's it fall to the ground" rulings. But thats just me. We do like outs.

Paul
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 07:27pm
sp279

My fault, I said two, meant one...

I was reading someone else's post, had 2 on my mind.....

But you did answer the question fine for me on the "grey area" I was concerned about.
But the part about letting it fall to the ground, the batter is out once you call it regardless if caught or not, correct? And runners still advance on own risk, live ball??

Thanks
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Yes. If properly called the BR is out and the force is removed caught or uncaught, the ball is live and runners advance at their own risk and must tag if the ball is caught.

Paul
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp279 View Post
NFHS rules.....season's not for a few months yet but wanna get this right.

Last season, lot of coaches complained it was not an "Infield fly" because the arc of the ball was not a straight up, then down. Most times doing JV or lower, it don't go that high anyway.

So....to call it right, what is the correct "arc"? Where is that "line"? This is even more accentuated when there's 2 outs, a player lets it fall to the ground, I've called the batter out, there's a runner in scoring position at 3rd and boy do you hear it.
Thoughts?
Thanks.
It's either a line drive, or a fly ball. Anything that carries to an IF without being hit right at him/her (with or without a slight arc) is an IFF.

Additionally, I see 'reasonable effort' as a ball that an IF has time to 'settle under'.
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 08:16pm
sp279

Good point...

Thanks all, the rules not hard per se after it is ruled, I just got tired of the coaches, depending on whether or not it negated some of their runs trying to pull the fly vs. line drive card. It gets old, not so much in varsity where it is more clearcut but in lower levels where the girls just don't have the power to get it out of the infield.
But it does make the game go faster

Thanks again
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

7in60 you may have me there. I have never considered that soft flair that fails to meet the definition of a line drive (parallel) an infield fly but I lack any rule to sight. Just the way it was taught. Always open to learn.

Paul
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS definition of fly ball.

2-2-6 A fly ball is a batted ball that rises an appreciable height above the ground.

I would not consider a little flair hit to have met that definition.
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
NFHS definition of fly ball.

2-2-6 A fly ball is a batted ball that rises an appreciable height above the ground.

I would not consider a little flair hit to have met that definition.
I have...when it was 11-0 in the top of the first...1 out...bases loaded...the visiting team was halfway through their batting lineup for the second time...I think you get the picture....
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Got you there Andy. We have all had those games where you are just searching for a way to finally get an out.
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I have...when it was 11-0 in the top of the first...1 out...bases loaded...the visiting team was halfway through their batting lineup for the second time...I think you get the picture....
Sad part is, if you resort to using this you still have AT LEAST 1 more out to go ...
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 01:13pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Sad part is, if you resort to using this you still have AT LEAST 1 more out to go ...
But...there might just be an alert infielder who could get someone doubled up!
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
But...there might just be an alert infielder who could get someone doubled up!
On a team behind 11-0 in the top of the first
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 04:55pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
On a team behind 11-0 in the top of the first
Could be the pitcher giving up over the fence homeruns, and a frustrated, alert infielder does a sassy act, if you catch my drift.