The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   To kinda piggy back on infield fly.... (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/55416-kinda-piggy-back-infield-fly.html)

sp279 Sat Nov 14, 2009 06:33pm

To kinda piggy back on infield fly....

NFHS rules.....season's not for a few months yet but wanna get this right.

Last season, lot of coaches complained it was not an "Infield fly" because the arc of the ball was not a straight up, then down. Most times doing JV or lower, it don't go that high anyway.

So....to call it right, what is the correct "arc"? Where is that "line"? This is even more accentuated when there's 2 outs, a player lets it fall to the ground, I've called the batter out, there's a runner in scoring position at 3rd and boy do you hear it.
Thoughts?
Thanks.

Az.Ump Sat Nov 14, 2009 07:14pm

There is no "line" or height requirement. Umpire's judgment. One possibility might be to remove your mask, clear the catcher and plate area and if you still have time to point at it and call it prior to the catch attempt it it's probably high enough. Otherwise let the chips fall. You also might want to reread the infield fly rule 2-30 page 26, 8-2-9 and 8-2-10 page 63 and reconsider your two out IFF and "let's it fall to the ground" rulings. But thats just me. We do like outs. :rolleyes:

Paul

sp279 Sat Nov 14, 2009 07:27pm

My fault, I said two, meant one...

I was reading someone else's post, had 2 on my mind.....

But you did answer the question fine for me on the "grey area" I was concerned about.
But the part about letting it fall to the ground, the batter is out once you call it regardless if caught or not, correct? And runners still advance on own risk, live ball??

Thanks

Az.Ump Sat Nov 14, 2009 07:47pm

Yes. If properly called the BR is out and the force is removed caught or uncaught, the ball is live and runners advance at their own risk and must tag if the ball is caught.

Paul

7in60 Sat Nov 14, 2009 07:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sp279 (Post 636231)
NFHS rules.....season's not for a few months yet but wanna get this right.

Last season, lot of coaches complained it was not an "Infield fly" because the arc of the ball was not a straight up, then down. Most times doing JV or lower, it don't go that high anyway.

So....to call it right, what is the correct "arc"? Where is that "line"? This is even more accentuated when there's 2 outs, a player lets it fall to the ground, I've called the batter out, there's a runner in scoring position at 3rd and boy do you hear it.
Thoughts?
Thanks.

It's either a line drive, or a fly ball. Anything that carries to an IF without being hit right at him/her (with or without a slight arc) is an IFF.

Additionally, I see 'reasonable effort' as a ball that an IF has time to 'settle under'.

sp279 Sat Nov 14, 2009 08:16pm

Good point...

Thanks all, the rules not hard per se after it is ruled, I just got tired of the coaches, depending on whether or not it negated some of their runs trying to pull the fly vs. line drive card. It gets old, not so much in varsity where it is more clearcut but in lower levels where the girls just don't have the power to get it out of the infield.
But it does make the game go faster:)

Thanks again

Az.Ump Sat Nov 14, 2009 08:39pm

7in60 you may have me there. I have never considered that soft flair that fails to meet the definition of a line drive (parallel) an infield fly but I lack any rule to sight. Just the way it was taught. Always open to learn. :o

Paul

RKBUmp Sat Nov 14, 2009 09:40pm

NFHS definition of fly ball.

2-2-6 A fly ball is a batted ball that rises an appreciable height above the ground.

I would not consider a little flair hit to have met that definition.

Andy Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 636250)
NFHS definition of fly ball.

2-2-6 A fly ball is a batted ball that rises an appreciable height above the ground.

I would not consider a little flair hit to have met that definition.

I have...when it was 11-0 in the top of the first...1 out...bases loaded...the visiting team was halfway through their batting lineup for the second time...I think you get the picture....:)

RKBUmp Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:46am

Got you there Andy. We have all had those games where you are just searching for a way to finally get an out.

Dakota Mon Nov 16, 2009 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 636386)
I have...when it was 11-0 in the top of the first...1 out...bases loaded...the visiting team was halfway through their batting lineup for the second time...I think you get the picture....:)

Sad part is, if you resort to using this you still have AT LEAST 1 more out to go ... :eek:

Ref Ump Welsch Mon Nov 16, 2009 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 636440)
Sad part is, if you resort to using this you still have AT LEAST 1 more out to go ... :eek:

But...there might just be an alert infielder who could get someone doubled up! ;)

CecilOne Mon Nov 16, 2009 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 636442)
But...there might just be an alert infielder who could get someone doubled up! ;)

On a team behind 11-0 in the top of the first :D :rolleyes:

Ref Ump Welsch Mon Nov 16, 2009 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 636451)
On a team behind 11-0 in the top of the first :D :rolleyes:

Could be the pitcher giving up over the fence homeruns, and a frustrated, alert infielder does a sassy act, if you catch my drift. :D