The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Mike,

Did I read the Code changes correctly that said that College players were banned from 18U Gold and 18U 'B', but not from 18U 'A'? Or did I miss something?

Wonder if this will be a big topic at the 2010 JO Workshop?

Serg
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioJ View Post
Mike,

Did I read the Code changes correctly that said that College players were banned from 18U Gold and 18U 'B', but not from 18U 'A'? Or did I miss something?

Wonder if this will be a big topic at the 2010 JO Workshop?

Serg
College players cannot play ANY B ball which is ludicrous (when teams are classified appropriately).

They cannot play 18U Gold. However, they can play 18U A. This way they are not excluded altogether in areas where a 23U program is not available.

However, as I understand it, this is a band aid and the issue will be refined next year that may allow some "college" players back.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Sorry, but that is ridiculous. What they are suggesting IS called parenting. And if you are aware of the hassles which were endured by ASA and the teams with the face masks on the batting helmet, you wouldn't even suggest we go through that again.

If memory serves me correctly, these proposals were rejected on Consent, did not come up for discussion in some committees due to a lack of a motion and never saw the floor.
Craig Cress' interview with Fast Pitch Radio Show addressed the issue of the mask. It would, in fact, have to get NOCSAE-certified if they were to require such an item on the field. Just one more thing to add to the list, right?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Craig Cress' interview with Fast Pitch Radio Show addressed the issue of the mask. It would, in fact, have to get NOCSAE-certified if they were to require such an item on the field. Just one more thing to add to the list, right?
Which would require the development of a safe standard, development of masks to meet that standard, NOCSAE approval which requires a one-year probationary period and ONLY then will a certification be applied which will require a stamp on the equipment which, like the batting helmet mask, require a purchase of new equipment by all those involved.

Then comes all the whining, crying and accusations of ASA conspiring with the manufacturers to force people to buy a product which is mandated.

And then ASA becomes the bad guy when these teams show up for a tournament with non-approved equipment because "they let us use these at home".

What next, mandatory chest plates for all infielders and batters since a thrown/batted ball to the chest can kill them?
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

At some tourneys, checking for the approval logo on approved chest plates is going to be quite a trick... if the nannyumps have their way.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What next, mandatory chest plates for all infielders and batters since a thrown/batted ball to the chest can kill them?
Nahhhhhh, let just use one of those 6u ultra softballs. The ones that bounce around like super balls! now that's really 'softball' and no one gets hurt!
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't give them any ideas!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

So what was the true reasoning given for not allowing College Girls play 18G? Who was the big lobby for that change?
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 View Post
So what was the true reasoning given for not allowing College Girls play 18G? Who was the big lobby for that change?
So Cal coaches tired of the fact that they no longer dominate 18G.

The other huge driving fact.. the fact that many coaches and parents too simply want 18G to be a showcase division (hence the reason for a big end of year showcase through premier) and not a competitive division.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 View Post
If they were honest about it the reasoning might have been about losing 60% of the top 100 teams to a competing organization whose members tried unsuccessfully to work within the system for change and were only heard on the way out the door.

What reason for moving the 18U Gold up a week can you come up with other than trying to get the teams that have committed to Premeir to at least show up to 18U Gold in addition.

That's what it looks like to an outsider anyway. JOFP in ASA always seemed to me to be analagous to the Marine division of Honda. A few years back Honda automotive retooled the engine for the Civic and had all the old tools obsoleted and destroyed. Almost every Honda outboard motor used that old civic motor and when they asked that the tools not be destroyed to avoid the cost of reengineering 100% of their bigger outboards the answer that came back from Honda Automotive was "We make $7 Billion worth of automobiles every year. Why do you assume that your 100 Million in Marine sales is even worth discussing?"

That doesn't mean that ASA JOFP isn't the #1 youth softball program, but it means that the priorities of the passionate few aren't always the main issue.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

re: college players: can't play in G or B, but can in A.

End result: 18A is now the premier 18U division and the 18G becomes the "high school all-stars who don't have a scholarship yet" division.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

The cool thing is I've been awarded the ASA/USA 18A tourney next year.

Obviously while everyone else is showcasing their HS all star players at "other tournaments" (maybe they should just do a combine instead of a 18G tournament)... I'll be working the top level national tournament in the only open division 18 y/o competitive level left.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

and I would be remiss if I didnt mention .. 18A, being the open division now, should be the tournament that counts as the major.. Not the 18Gold ..
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
re: college players: can't play in G or B, but can in A.

End result: 18A is now the premier 18U division and the 18G becomes the "high school all-stars who don't have a scholarship yet" division.
Actually, not as far fetched as you sound. It was even mentioned in committee that maybe ASA needs to create what is basically a "competitive" division and a "showcase" division. The possible names noted were the 18U Gold (comp) and 18U Silver (showcase).

The point being (which many parents/coaches seem to miss) is that the premier softball tournament should be played by the best 18U teams in the country and that cannot exclude the better ball players that properly qualify to play. The fact that they may be in college should be irrelevant to an age-oriented classification.

IMO, if teams were properly classified (okay, stop laughing), the "B"s would be the perfect place for the returning collegiates to play.
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 03:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
The cool thing is I've been awarded the ASA/USA 18A tourney next year.

Obviously while everyone else is showcasing their HS all star players at "other tournaments" (maybe they should just do a combine instead of a 18G tournament)... I'll be working the top level national tournament in the only open division 18 y/o competitive level left.
Well then, congratulations and West Coast represent!