The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

New rules learned in fall ball

Learned some new fall ball rules this weekend. Unfortunately there were only six of them. Some of you already know #2

1. If the pitched ball hits off the end of the knob on the bat, it's not a foul ball if the batter didn't offer.
2. Hands are part of the bat.
3. The PU is the "over umpire and he is over you and you have to go to him."
4. "You have to go to your partner for help on that (judgement call, sliding tag play at 3B) if I ask you to. That's the rule."
5. Not only is there no longer a batter's box when the lines disappear, there is also no longer a catcher's box -- so how can THAT rule apply? (catcher was so close to the plate she was about to get mugged --- and in the next game when one of my brethren let her set up wherever the hell she wanted, she got a free ride to the hospital so they could treat her "probably broken" injury.
6. It is ok for a coach who has been ejected to sit in the stands later on to "see some of his former players play" ... and while he is there to continue to harass the umpires who ejected him earlier in the day for being a total ucking fidiot.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 05:50pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
Learned some new fall ball rules this weekend. Unfortunately there were only six of them. Some of you already know #2

1. If the pitched ball hits off the end of the knob on the bat, it's not a foul ball if the batter didn't offer.
3. The PU is the "over umpire and he is over you and you have to go to him."
4. "You have to go to your partner for help on that (judgement call, sliding tag play at 3B) if I ask you to. That's the rule."
5. Not only is there no longer a batter's box when the lines disappear, there is also no longer a catcher's box -- so how can THAT rule apply? (catcher was so close to the plate she was about to get mugged --- and in the next game when one of my brethren let her set up wherever the hell she wanted, she got a free ride to the hospital so they could treat her "probably broken" injury.
6. It is ok for a coach who has been ejected to sit in the stands later on to "see some of his former players play" ... and while he is there to continue to harass the umpires who ejected him earlier in the day for being a total ucking fidiot.
Ahhh, sounds like the summer ball crapola has carried over into fall ball.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
"Hands are part of the bat."

Hasn't that been the rule for years?
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpirebob71 View Post
"Hands are part of the bat."

Hasn't that been the rule for years?
This does seem to be a rule I have been hearing for 24 years now. you shouldn't have just learned it in Fall ball. LOL
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

I got the "Is that your rule?" recently...

Bases loaded - ball to F6 - run of the mill INT on R2 - BU db, int.

R1 had crossed the plate and went into the dugout.

Of course, fall ball right now is running about 100F so I'm a little cooked... start to get ready for the next pitch - my little cooked brain synapses click a little... and I realize, hey that runner needs to go back. Call time, put the runner back..

"Are you sure thats the rule?"

"Is that your rule or is that rule in the rule book?"

"Is it a new rule."

The hat trick of most irritating questions.
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 07:47am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
I got the "Is that your rule?" recently...

Bases loaded - ball to F6 - run of the mill INT on R2 - BU db, int.

R1 had crossed the plate and went into the dugout.

Of course, fall ball right now is running about 100F so I'm a little cooked... start to get ready for the next pitch - my little cooked brain synapses click a little... and I realize, hey that runner needs to go back. Call time, put the runner back..

"Is it a new rule."

The hat trick of most irritating questions.
And they b*#@hed only because it took a run away. That's why you got the irritating questions. I know how this feels, very irritating.
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Ahh.....yep!

Quote:
Ahh.....yep!

Quote:
"Is it a new rule."
Ahh....apparently just for you
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Call time, put the runner back..

Here's the answer you really wish you could give:

Coach, you're right; I should have given you an option. The run hasn't scored on the play, but if you would rather take an out for that runner, too, you don't have to put her back on the bases where she might still score a run for you.
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 01:31pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Here's the answer you really wish you could give:

Coach, you're right; I should have given you an option. The run hasn't scored on the play, but if you would rather take an out for that runner, too, you don't have to put her back on the bases where she might still score a run for you.
Sad part is the coach might actually take the option!
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

There are words added to the "official" dictionary each year. This "rule" is quoted so often that it might actually become part of sporting lexicon.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 09:08am
Ref Ump Welsch

Here's a new one from the other day, which was a very very windy day (actually had a wind advisory!): Any pop-up in the infield is an infield fly.
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

They continue to come up with new ones. I guess I need to read the rule book better.

1st, when over running 1st base, it is not necessary for the player to immediately return to the base if the coach is standing there talking to them.

2nd, if a runner stays in the base line it is perfectly legal for her to run over the short stop fielding a batted ball. Are you sure blue? Is this a new rule blue? But she was in the base path! Same sentiment coming from the stands.

3rd, rocker step is not legal when a player gets thier lead on the pitch. They must remain stationary until the pitch is released.
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

The one I've been hearing lately is when the batter hits a quick chip shot 50 feet into the outfield, "that's not a legal swing, blue! His wrists are supposed to break when he swings! It's in the book!"

First time I heard that, I seriously thought the player was smoking crack. WTF is he even babbling about? And then I heard it again on another field, different team, a couple of weeks later. "He's gotta break his wrists when he swings, blue! It's in the book!"

I'm wondering, "where are they GETTING this stuff? It HAS to come from somewhere..."

Finally, on another forum, I found the source.

ASA RS #10 - Check Swing / Bunt Strike.

I set them straight.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Not a "new rule", but in the same vein...

Last night, Womens SP. After a hit with the bases loaded (two runs scored), older, male 3B coach tells me "a good umpire would have gotten the bat out of the way".
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 10:08am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
The one I've been hearing lately is when the batter hits a quick chip shot 50 feet into the outfield, "that's not a legal swing, blue! His wrists are supposed to break when he swings! It's in the book!"

First time I heard that, I seriously thought the player was smoking crack. WTF is he even babbling about? And then I heard it again on another field, different team, a couple of weeks later. "He's gotta break his wrists when he swings, blue! It's in the book!"

I'm wondering, "where are they GETTING this stuff? It HAS to come from somewhere..."

Finally, on another forum, I found the source.

ASA RS #10 - Check Swing / Bunt Strike.

I set them straight.
Sounds like this was in men's leagues? I've had this crapola line in coed wreck.