The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCASA View Post
This just happened tonight. I am the League Guru not the ump. 14U and a 200ft field. Had a girl cream the ball down third base line with base loaded. The ball went air born and kept going up. It sliced to the left passing into foul territory before missing the pole by inches.

PU: FOUL BALL!!
Coach: WHAT?!?!? You gotta be kidding me, you can't rob a girl of a hit like that!!!
PU: Sorry coach it went foul.
Coach: Ahhh, your full of it, that was an awesome hit and your robbing her.

So apparently if the ball clears the higher portion of the pole as it goes over the fence, it is always considered fair.

New one on me.
At that point...I just tossed him...end of the "fair/foul,you can't rob her" discussion.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Man...you got schooled!!!!
Yeah, maybe you should talk to the state UIC and see about a couple of clinics...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Man...you got schooled!!!!
The real sad part is:

1. The honestly believe they are right

2. I end most arguments just be giving them the date January 25th. That derails what little intelligent thought they may have thought they had at the time and the usually sit down when I tell them what it is, the next meeting of the local umpire association!
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

I also like giving them my number to call, so that when they call, they can tell me how I am a horrible human being and shouldn't be allowed to umpire 'that level of ball'. Best after a 12u Rec ball game ans then they can call me on my way to an NCAA game. Happened 3 times last year. Never failed to get a chuckle, at least out of me.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Another rule learned tonight in my 7th grade girls FP game:

On a 3-2 pitch, if the ball comes in directly over the plate but at a height of the batter's eyes, and you call a ball, it's ok for the 12 year old pitcher to hold her hand up to her chest and, while the batter-runner is advancing to first base, loudly ask you from the pitching plate, "What's wrong with that pitch? It was right here, at her chest!"

When you call time to bring the coach over to explain to both of them that showing you up and arguing balls and strikes is not a wise thing to do, it's ok to not charge them a defensive conference while the coach has a "come to Jesus" discussion with his battery. Even at the insistance of the offensive coach.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

Found out last weekend that there's a new procedure for "getting it right" and a coach asking an umpire to get help.

Pitch comes in, F2 bobbles it, runner on second steals third, F2 throws and runner slides in on a close play. Base umpire calls her safe.

Defensive coach wants time and I grant it (I'm the plate umpire).

He comes out and asks me if it's okay for him to go talk to the base umpire to ask if the base umpire will check with me and see if I had something different.

Since it was late at night, the third straight game that evening and about 38 degrees with a good steady gust, I told him I'd save him the trouble. I didn't have anything any different than my partner had. Which was true, since the batter jumped out of the box and right in front of me when the tag attempt was made. It seemed kind of pointless to stand around in the cold while he goes out to talk to the base umpire, then the base umpire comes in to talk to me, just to tell him I don't have anything for him!

Next time, Coach, cut out the middle man! Go straight to the umpire that made the call!

Last edited by BretMan; Thu Oct 22, 2009 at 02:09am.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 08:52am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
He comes out and asks me if it's okay for him to go talk to the base umpire to ask if the base umpire will check with me and see if I had something different.
Sounds like the coach is a lawyer by day.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post

Worded like that, I'd just say "no".
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

I learned 2 things in an ASA 12U this weekend in North Texas:

1 - on a walk all forced runners cannot deviate more the 3' from a direct line to the base they are entitled to else they should be called out for "running out of the baseline"

2 - after a pitch has been thrown the umpire cannot correct the count on the batter, the last count "announced" must stand

I kid you not!
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 12:26pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post

1 - on a walk all forced runners cannot deviate more the 3' from a direct line to the base they are entitled to else they should be called out for "running out of the baseline"

2 - after a pitch has been thrown the umpire cannot correct the count on the batter, the last count "announced" must stand

I kid you not!
Wow, sounds like you just left the twilight zone. #1 obviously was uttered by a very anal retentative coach. #2 must have been uttered by some ucking fidiot of a coach who likes to stir things up. Of course, that all could have been the same coach.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post

I kid you not!
Yeah...I would believe that for a 12U coach. They have been around just long enough to pick up enough information to be dangerous to themselves!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Wow, sounds like you just left the twilight zone. #1 obviously was uttered by a very anal retentative coach. #2 must have been uttered by some ucking fidiot of a coach who likes to stir things up. Of course, that all could have been the same coach.
Brent, when you're engaged in a correctative task, would you flag "preventative" as unsuititable?
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Pitcher licks their fingers on the pitching hand, and wipes them off on her uniform shirt near the left shoulder prior to holding the ball. Next pitch, pitcher does the same thing. Offensive coach from the dugout: "She can't wipe her fingers off in the same spot....thats illegal!"
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
Pitcher licks their fingers on the pitching hand, and wipes them off on her uniform shirt near the left shoulder prior to holding the ball. Next pitch, pitcher does the same thing. Offensive coach from the dugout: "She can't wipe her fingers off in the same spot....thats illegal!"

You could have had way too much fun with that one. Looked at him said, "coach, when was the last time you read a rule book? They dropped that rule from the books, jeez, what was it, 10, mebbe 12 years ago." Then just wait for the reaction!

Or, you could have gone with, "Coach, that wasn't the same spot. She was actually about two millimeters in front of the previous spot."

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

7th grade game last night. Second pitcher for H is wearing a school sweatshirt over her uniform that's some kind of neonish green -- not close enough to the ball to really be a problem for somebody throwing as slow as she was.
She pitches for an inning and a half and then gets replaced with pitcher number three. Next inning pitcher three gets pulled for pitcher 4. Next inning before the inning starts V coach wanders up to me.
C: See that girl out at 3b. She was pitching a couple of innings ago and that sweatshirt is kind of the color of the ball and my players were having trouble picking it up.
Me: Okay. I guess it is kind of close.
C: Yeah, they were having trouble picking up the ball. And it's really not her uniform.
Me: Okay, well if they decide to have her pitch again, come remind me and I'll see if it's a problem.

Coach wanders off.

Not sure what she wanted me to do at that point.
________
Make Vaporizer

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:10pm.