The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Florida Local Assn. Consolidated by ASA

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. -- The Amateur Softball Association (ASA), a volunteer driven, not-for-profit organization, is seeking applicants for the position of Commissioner for the Florida ASA association. By action of the ASA Board of Directors, Central Florida, Florida First Coast, North Florida, South Florida and West Central Florida will now be a combined into one Florida ASA association.
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

What's it pay?
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
What's it pay?
Probably the same amount you received for typing that post
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. -- The Amateur Softball Association (ASA), a volunteer driven, not-for-profit organization, is seeking applicants for the position of Commissioner for the Florida ASA association. By action of the ASA Board of Directors, Central Florida, Florida First Coast, North Florida, South Florida and West Central Florida will now be a combined into one Florida ASA association.
Does that become as huge ans association as it looks like?
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Does that become as huge ans association as it looks like?
I think it does and really, doesn't make any sense.

Larry, what do you think? Any affect on the umpires with this consolidation?
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'd be glad to nominate my local district commissioner - I'd be glad to have him move to a different state!
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think it does and really, doesn't make any sense.

Larry, what do you think? Any affect on the umpires with this consolidation?
Mike, are you not on the mailing list of registrations from Steve Walker? I could send it to you, if you want.

Geographically, this may be large, but the fact is that none of these were really large organizations. As a point of comparison, our unified Georgia registered approx 4500 teams in 2008, where the largest of these 5 had 2300, and the newly consolidated would have about 7300. This would be the 5th largest association; still below Texas, Indiana, Pennsylvania and SoCal, just ahead of Indiana and Oklahoma.

Umpire registration for all 5 was less than 900; that places them 9th. Not a great representation for a state with 12 months playing time.

From a management standpoint, 4 less commissioners, 4 less UIC's, 4 less JO Commissioners; one added At Large Player Rep (they had two among the 5 associations, now 3 with 7300). I predict Tony Galloway would be the unified Commissioner, Carlton Benton the JO Commissioner (and a Player Rep), and Morris Uhler as another Player Rep. The smaller associations with little market presence lose out in representation, although certainly the former Commissioners would have some District or Zone title.

With the agreed consolidation of Boston into Massachusetts, and expected (by me, anyway) of Philadelphia into Pennsylvania, I think there is a clear movement that should have other associations concerned.
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Schizznits! This is what I am afeared will happen with Seattle Tacoma and WA in the next year. Yikes!
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
Schizznits! This is what I am afeared will happen with Seattle Tacoma and WA in the next year. Yikes!
Do you know something I don't? I had not heard such a thing, well since our last guy was fired ... or quit.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 09:35am
Ref Ump Welsch

This happened in Nebraska. Omaha and Nebraska were two separate associations, then somehow Omaha went into some type of disarray. Nebraska absorbed Omaha, but didn't create it as a new district within the association, but rather a sub-district unto its own. Now we see no difference in how things run compared to the past.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Metro Phoenix was absorbed into Arizona ASA a couple of years ago..still going through some issues...It's starting to come around, though...the toughest part is getting the leadership of the old "metro" association to buy into the new, larger organization.

The rumblings I have heard are that ASA eventually wants to eliminate all metro associations and just have 50 state associations.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
From my perspective way out here in the Panhandle, it is probably a good idea. While ASA slow pitch seems pretty strong in FL, fast pitch needs help. Too many teams play in other alphabets. Heck, Pensacola hosted "The United Southern Girls Fast Pitch 'World Series,'" featuring teams from at least 7 states (and no foreign countries, Mike). I hope the consolidation strengthens ASA fast pitch in Florida. We have a lot of good softball players and a lot of good umpires. But we need some leadership!
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Metro Phoenix was absorbed into Arizona ASA a couple of years ago..still going through some issues...It's starting to come around, though...the toughest part is getting the leadership of the old "metro" association to buy into the new, larger organization.

The rumblings I have heard are that ASA eventually wants to eliminate all metro associations and just have 50 state associations.
That may be a bit difficult with larger states such as Texas or California. Areas with high populations and a large number of registered teams will need a bit more attention than more sparsely-populated areas.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 10:51am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
From my perspective way out here in the Panhandle, it is probably a good idea. While ASA slow pitch seems pretty strong in FL, fast pitch needs help. Too many teams play in other alphabets. Heck, Pensacola hosted "The United Southern Girls Fast Pitch 'World Series,'" featuring teams from at least 7 states (and no foreign countries, Mike). I hope the consolidation strengthens ASA fast pitch in Florida. We have a lot of good softball players and a lot of good umpires. But we need some leadership!
In some ways, this was what was happening in Omaha. It seemed like the fast-pitch folks wanted to have their way, while pushing the slow-pitch folks away. Created all kinds of cluster f&*ks for the teams who were trying to qualify for nationals. The absorption that I spoke of earlier resolved a lot of the issues, and now we have none of the problems we had in the past.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Tulsa Metro disbanded and joined Oklahoma ASA. Nothing but problems thus far (4 years or so). All we get is OASA coming in giving a 2 hour clinic in the spring, taking our registration fees, and see ya later! We are working on trying to get things better but it is slow going.

Hope it goes better in Florida.