The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 09, 2009, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Anyway, the OP was referring to league play, not championship play.
Yes, it was, but you opened that little door, just a crack with

Quote:
ASA uniform rules are primarily meant for championship play,
Old Wed Sep 09, 2009, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Going to the wrong field sounds bad, but if you work over a hundred games a year at maybe three dozen different fields the possibility of it happening increases!

I've caught myself driving to the wrong park before, realized it before I got there, made a quick detour and made it on time. Luckily, I had plenty of time to get to the right place.

This past spring, I almost screwed up big time! I had a high school game in an area of town I'm not too familiar with. Within a few miles of each other were schools named East High School and another named Eastmoor High School. I thought the game was at East, but it was actually at Eastmoor!

I had my MapQuest map to East and just enough time to get there in rush hour traffic. On the way to the game, my assignor called my cell to tell me that my game at Eastmoor had been cancelled and offered me another assignment with a later start time. That's when it dawned on me that I was heading to the wrong school and would have been terribly late to the right one. Talk about dodging a bullet!

Other than that one near-miss, of the hundred-plus games I've worked this year I haven't been late for or missed any of them!

I did have one local league playoff game this year where my partner- a very reliable guy- called me about 15 minutes before game time and asked, kind of irritated, why I wasn't at the field for our game. Told him to check his schedule- I was at the right field, he was at the wrong one!
When the wife and I arrived at a field last year to work 12U state playoff games, I noticed that the softball field had sod installed in the infield, and (gasp) a mound right in the middle! This had been set up for a baseball playoff series.

A few phone calls later and we found we were not only at the wrong field, we were in the wrong town!

Luckily we were early anyway, but still had to traverse about 35 miles to get to the proper site. We were able to start the games only about 20 minutes late.

We had gone where we were told. The assignor had it wrong!

Last edited by JEL; Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 04:54pm.
Old Wed Sep 09, 2009, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpirebob71 View Post
I live in NE Ohio, where there is a large Amish population, so yes, I have had the pleasure of being stuck behind a buggy. I always add some time when I'm going through there.

I'm in north central Pa - where we have a large Amish population. It's a different world.
Old Wed Sep 09, 2009, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks all for your input. I spoke to the coach with the out-of-uniform player before he came up to bat and advised him that 9/1 was the deadline but that I would allow it and he should consider this a warning/reminder for next week.

As I stated, *****ing started in about the 4th inning, "yellow-shirt" up to bat for 3rd time, and opposing team losing by 8. I always feel that if it wasn't a problem when you weren't losing, you can't MAKE it a problem now. Maybe since your losing you want to measure the distance to the outfield fence now?

Again, thank you all. We'll see how it plays out in the near future.

P.S. I AM aware of the rule, but never given anything stating 9/1 as the date...last week I asked the park monitor and they also thought it was 9/1 but could find nothing in writing.
Old Wed Sep 09, 2009, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Why on Earth would unis be required for league play?
Old Wed Sep 09, 2009, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary View Post
Easier to keep track of the drunken idiot you tossed when he has a number on his back.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Sep 10, 2009, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In the players magnificent logic; it allows them to know that a player is, in-fact, on the opposing teams roster.

I mean really, when was the last time you saw a player receive and put on a uniform shirt at the ball park, in the dugout?

Come on!!

Last edited by gumpire; Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 11:15pm.
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why do all opposing teams wear uniforms and usually of contrasting colors? Identification to game officials, fans and especially, teammates? Even on the most remote basketball court, where uniform shirts are not available, one team removes their shirts so they know who is on what team.

Sense of pride and (my favorite when used by the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc.) integrity in the sport and team?

So they will not get their regular clothes dirty and sweaty?