The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
wade and Dholloway covered it pretty well. If my partner does not know what an IP is, and I prime him to call it, as wade says, nothing good can come from that.
OK, I can live with that although I don't entirely agree. I guess my next question is when 2/3 of the crew apparently can't call IPs, why are they assigned to work 3-man on "a big match up between two state ranked high school teams"? Just curious.
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
...I guess my next question is when 2/3 of the crew apparently can't call IPs, why are they assigned to work 3-man on "a big match up between two state ranked high school teams"? Just curious.
I guess you'd need to ask BlitzkriegBob that question, although like anything else in human endeavor, not everything is determined strictly by merit.
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
OK, I can live with that although I don't entirely agree. I guess my next question is when 2/3 of the crew apparently can't call IPs, why are they assigned to work 3-man on "a big match up between two state ranked high school teams"? Just curious.
Yeah, I agree with what everyone else says also. For the record, I didn't say a word to either partner. To clarify, I had this pitcher in two games, and the two partners I described each worked one game with me. Her team was was ranked in the top 5 in Class 3A, and they were facing another top 10 in Class 3A, and the number 1 team in the state from Class 4A. When they faced the #1 team, it was a rescheduled game, and while I was originally scheduled to work with a pretty good umpire the first time around, I ended up with the rookie for the makeup game. He didn't have much to do on the bases, as it was a 2-0 game with the #1 team's pitcher one out away from throwing a no-hitter, and both runs were pushed across in the same inning...one on an IP called by yours truly (remarkably without a peep from the DC, he knew what she did). I can't tell you why he ended up with this game, I don't do the scheduling.
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob View Post
It's a big match up between two state ranked high school teams. Your partner is (a) a rookie doing his first varsity game, and (b) a baseball guy who only works a couple of softball games a year, doing his first of the year. Obviously you're going to do the plate for the game.
In situation (a) or (b) I would be thinking about the future conversation I would be having with the assignor.