The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 12:24pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Disregarding the spam posting below, I thought it might be fun to really rate the best player of all time. I'm sure 99% of basketball fans living today consider it to be Michael Jordan. However, I am convinced it is George Mikan.

OK - flame me.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

In his time, George Mikan was a stud. Today, even an average center would swat that weak hook shot of George's into the ninth row. Michael is the best ever.

Z
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I've always been partial to Bird myself. On this subject...a friend and I were commenting on Kareem never appearing on the short list of greatest players ever. To me he was a better all around player than either Wilt or Russell and he won everywhere he played.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 01:19pm
In Memoriam

I have always been fond of Oscar Robertson and his career triple-double.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Wilt Chamberlain

100 points in one game, single season scoring average of 50.4 points/game

Never say never, but it is hard to imagine that these records will ever be broken.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Comparing him to the players of his era is much easier than trying to compare him to Mikan, Russell, Chamberlain, or Robertson. That was a different time and a different game. And it was certainly basketball at a more pure form than what we have today. These were great players but the game has changed so much since the 50's and 60's.

Certainly Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird were great offensive players and great team leaders who led their teams to multiple championships. Michael played a somewhat more spectacular game than Magic and Larry always reminded me of a basketball version of Pete Rose. Also, Magic and Larry were surrounded by Hall of Fame players, which Michael never was.

But neither Magic nor Larry played with the defensive intensity that Michael played with. For example, after serving as an asst. coach on the 1992 Olympic Dream Team, Mike Kryzewski was asked what was the most surprising thing that he learned working with NBA players. He stated that the answer was easy - he could not believe the intensity with which Michael Jordan played defense.

I think that while all these players were great players, Michael is the greatest player ever.

My 2 pennies.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

It truly depends on what is your definition of "player". I have a hard time not choosing Oscar or Larry. They both made those around him better.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

my opinion

There are many to choose from. In the same breath as Michael Jordan, I also name Larry Bird and Magic Johnson. All three elevated the play of those they played with. They had such good court instincts. They played both ends of the floor. They could score at will and also find the open man.

Beyond these three players, I think everyone else mentioned (although great) are slightly behind.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

First you have to define "greatest player". That's at the heart of all these debates.

Best stats - Wilt Chamberlain.

Best career winning percentage & most titles - Bill Russell

Most points - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Highest career scoring average - Michael Jordan

Larry and Magic saved the NBA, but I couldn't select either of them over any of the players named above.

Best versus the players of his era - Chamberlain? Mikan?

Best pound-for-pound - Isiah Thomas? Iverson?

And what category do we put Maravich in?

And it's always tough to discount your personal biases toward the players you've seen play.

From my days watching him on WGN every other night, when it seemed like he could do anything he wanted, to last night, when I was getting angry at him for sitting out the fourth quarter, MJ was the only guy that I watched all the time, whether he was on defense or offense, whether he had the ball or not. I'd never take my eyes off him. I couldn't say that about any of the other greats I've seen play in my 31 years. So I'd pick Jordan.

I'll take Russell as a close second--it's a team sport; the object is to win. There are a lot of things that you have to do to win that don't show up in the stat sheet. Russell did them all, and did them all as well as anyone from what I've seen and read.

Oh, and Oscar Robertson's career assist average was 9.5 per game, and 7.5 rebounds. But he did have one SEASON in which he averaged a triple double, and he averaged a cumulative triple double over his first six seasons.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I think that while all these players were great players, Michael is the greatest player ever.

My 2 pennies.
By the way, he didn't happen to matriculate to a campus in Chapel Hill, did he????????
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 02:29pm
In Memoriam

I never saw Oscar Robertson play in real life, but I did see him on our old floor model black & white Philco TV.

I remember one drive to the hoop.
Triple-teamed, he stopped in mid air with the ball only in his left, then only in his right, then scored only with his left. (There was no slo-mo back then, but the move was perfectly clear.)
Just as the ball was released, the old Philco started leaning and fell over on its side.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 02:29pm
In Memoriam

I saw 'em all play- from Mikan to the present(even though I never really saw Mikan in his prime).

If I had to pick one player to start a franchise with,it would be Bill Russell.He was the consumate team player- and one of the all-time smartest,if not the smartest.

My all-time favorite NBA ref was Manny Sokol.He wasn't one of the top guys,but he was funny as hell to watch.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 02:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Oh, and Oscar Robertson's career assist average was 9.5 per game, and 7.5 rebounds. But he did have one SEASON in which he averaged a triple double, and he averaged a cumulative triple double over his first six seasons.
Thanks for the correction, PACoach.
I bow to your knowledge.
mick
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Thanks for the correction, PACoach.
I bow to your knowledge.
mick
I had a high school teacher that told me, "You don't have to know everything, but you have to know where to find it."

That was before we had this:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...eer+statistics

Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
I heard Russell speak last year and he said that it is impossible to compare players of different era's. He talked about how he would have to stay in different hotels and eat in different restaurants then the white players. Imagine MJ having to do that? If you go with era's, it still isn't easy.
If I had the number one pick I would take any of the following:
Wilt
Russel
Bird
Maravich
Oscar
Jordan (although I can't stand him@!)
Lambeer (just because he is my all time favorite player, just ahead of Adrian Dantley.)
Magic