The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 04, 2009, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Tagup Responsibilities

Need some help here as I do not have an ASA mechanics manual.

What are the correct tagup responsibilities (as being taught at ASA national/regional schools&clinics) for a 2 MAN CREW-SLOW PITCH?

Irish? NCASA? Any of you other guys who have recently attended the national school? Can you guys set me straight.
Thamks in advance.
Old Tue Aug 04, 2009, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Simple.

Plate Umpire always has a runner that's on 3B.

Base Umpire always has a runner that's on 1B.

If there are multiple runners, the plate umpire always has the lead runner, and the base umpire always has all other runners.

Make sense?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

KJUmp pointed out to me that I forgot one scenario.

Lone runner on 2B is the Base Umpire's call.

I'll also mention that the only time any of this changes is if the Base Umpire goes out to call fair/foul (which should NEVER happen when the Base Umpire is in B, or I'll f'ing smack you), or if the Base Umpire goes out to call the catch/no catch.

General rule of thumb is that if the Base Umpire turns his/her back to the infield, the catch/no catch is now his/hers. However, if you're the Base Umpire and you do this, do it right: GO OUT THERE. Make it clear to your partner that you're going out to make the call by calling out "one man" or "going," and move your butt out of the infield to make the call.

Sorry for forgetting that.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Thu Aug 06, 2009, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Simpler yet:
The PU only has tag-up for runners on 3rd or the lead of multiple runners.
Old Mon Aug 10, 2009, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Simple.

Plate Umpire always has a runner that's on 3B.

Base Umpire always has a runner that's on 1B.

If there are multiple runners, the plate umpire always has the lead runner, and the base umpire always has all other runners.

Make sense?
I'm in USSSA. Mens slow pitch. 2 man crew. With any runners on base, BU is positioned just inside of 2B before the pitch. So if there's only a runner on first, how is the BU supposed to watch a (routine) fly to left for catch/no catch AND watch the runner at first tagging?

We have BU taking the tag for any runner at 2B (even if there are multiple runners), and PU will have all other tags.

I"m not saying that's necessarily the correct mechanic--just that that's what we do. But it makes sense to me. With a runner on 2B (even if he's the lead runner), the BU can always position himself (inside the bag) so that he's aligned with the bag and the outfielder.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

That may be true for USSSA. The question was for ASA.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
That may be true for USSSA. The question was for ASA.
gotcha. out of curiosity, then: in ASA with a man on first and a fly ball to left, the base umpire is supposed to have the catch and the tag?

that seems extremely odd to me. why wouldn't home plate take the tag here? I mean, there's only two things happening--why have one guy do both?
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
gotcha. out of curiosity, then: in ASA with a man on first and a fly ball to left, the base umpire is supposed to have the catch and the tag?

that seems extremely odd to me. why wouldn't home plate take the tag here? I mean, there's only two things happening--why have one guy do both?
In your situation, in ASA, the BU can not have both calls. Either the BU goes out to call the catch and the PU has the tag-up, or the PU has the catch and the BU has the tag-up. Once the BU goes out to call the catch, he's done for the rest of the play - once you go out, you stay out.

There are always going to be problems inherent to the 2-umpire system when it comes to tag-up coverage. If tourneys or leagues don't want to pay for a 3-umpire crew (and who could blame them, since it increases the cost by 50%), then they just have to accept that we will do the best we can.

I think ASA keeps it pretty simple with the tag-up responsibilities in a 2-umpire system, demonstrated by the fact that it took only a few sentences to describe who has which runner. If we start getting into left field versus right field versus center field, that would add a layer of complexity that no organization with 40,000+ umpires is ready to deal with.

Personally, I've not had that big a problem with it in 17 years.

Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What sounds odd to me is why the base umpire would call the routine catch?? Calling catch/no catch is reserved for "going out", which certainly isn't appropriate for a "routine" fly ball.

Let the PU make the routine call, and the BU has the runner; every part of the runner, the tag, the advance to 2nd (if it happens), the return play back to 1st (if it happens). If BU concentrates on the catch (versus first touch), then he will lose the release point by the runner.

If the ball drops, PU picks up the lead runner into 3rd, BU still has 1st and 2nd, like always.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
What sounds odd to me is why the base umpire would call the routine catch?? Calling catch/no catch is reserved for "going out", which certainly isn't appropriate for a "routine" fly ball.

Let the PU make the routine call, and the BU has the runner; every part of the runner, the tag, the advance to 2nd (if it happens), the return play back to 1st (if it happens). If BU concentrates on the catch (versus first touch), then he will lose the release point by the runner.

If the ball drops, PU picks up the lead runner into 3rd, BU still has 1st and 2nd, like always.
Not to mention the fact that if the PU does his f'ing job (how sad that there's a converse to that statement), he should be at least halfway up the line (or more) to 3B anyway to get a good view of both the runner and the catch. The PU has no better view to a runner on 1B than the BU.

Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

More questions

I had a situation where I would've loved to know the rule right off the top of my head last night. My base ump (the senior ump) told me that I had the catch and all tag ups. But when I was the plate ump, and lead runner at 2nd didn't tag up, and I was button hooking in on an outfield fly, and the pitcher appealed it, the plate ump pointed at ME, like it was MY call! Does anyone know any rules I can reference for this situation?
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieRasberry View Post
I had a situation where I would've loved to know the rule right off the top of my head last night. My base ump (the senior ump) told me that I had the catch and all tag ups. But when I was the plate ump, and lead runner at 2nd didn't tag up, and I was button hooking in on an outfield fly, and the pitcher appealed it, the plate ump pointed at ME, like it was MY call! Does anyone know any rules I can reference for this situation?
I'm going to assume that you're asking about ASA's mechanics (as opposed to something else like USSSA or NSA).

The mechanics I mentioned in this thread should apply to your situation. Study them, learn them. Fortunately, they're pretty easy. They're also on page 253 of your rule book.

In your specific situation, you had a runner at 2B (R1), and I'm assuming you had a runner (R2) on 1B (by the fact that you mention that R1 was a "lead runner"). The plate umpire should have R1, and the base umpire should have R2.

Now, I'm a little confused by the fact that in your post, you mention that you're the plate umpire, and that your partner was the plate umpire. Which is it?

Let's say you were the plate umpire and your partner was on the bases. If that's the case, then yes, the runner on 2B was yours. If you were on the bases and your partner was the plate umpire, then he should normally not have signaled to you UNLESS he didn't see it. He probably either got blocked or he screwed up somewhere. If he points to you on a call that was his, he's giving it up to you. If you didn't see it, call safe, don't call an out that you didn't see.

Just my two cents.

Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post

OK, that's an interesting point. In my scenario, I've got the BU making the catch/no catch call even if he's not going out. So your response at least answers my question about why one guy would do both.

Buuut, I guess I still have another question, and I suppose it's one of general mechanics. With a runner on first, I assume the ASA BU's pre-pitch position is around 2nd base? If so, he's never going to be able to have both the touch and the tag in front of him. Maybe if it's down the RF line. But anything to center or left is going to require him to see first touch then whip his head around to see when the runner releases. There's going to be a gap. Unless he's only LISTENING for first touch, which I dont imagine he's doing.

So I guess I come back to: with (just) a man on first, isn't the home plate umpire in a better position to rule on first touch vs. runner leaving?
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Not to mention the fact that if the PU does his f'ing job (how sad that there's a converse to that statement), he should be at least halfway up the line (or more) to 3B anyway to get a good view of both the runner and the catch. The PU has no better view to a runner on 1B than the BU.
Really? The BU is in between the first touch and the runner on 1B. That is to say, the runner is behind him. However quick he is to turn his head and eyes after first touch, he's still going to have to turn them.

The PU is behind both the runner and the defensive first touch. Everything's in front of him. The amount of head/eye turning he has to do is definitely less than that required of the BU.

Right?
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, that's an interesting point. In my scenario, I've got the BU making the catch/no catch call even if he's not going out. So your response at least answers my question about why one guy would do both.

Buuut, I guess I still have another question, and I suppose it's one of general mechanics. With a runner on first, I assume the ASA BU's pre-pitch position is around 2nd base? If so, he's never going to be able to have both the touch and the tag in front of him. Maybe if it's down the RF line. But anything to center or left is going to require him to see first touch then whip his head around to see when the runner releases. There's going to be a gap. Unless he's only LISTENING for first touch, which I dont imagine he's doing.

So I guess I come back to: with (just) a man on first, isn't the home plate umpire in a better position to rule on first touch vs. runner leaving?
With a runner on 1st (or no runners on), the pre-pitch position is behind the 2nd baseman, and shaded toward the first base side. If the F4 plays extremely deep, then "behind" becomes behind a line drawn between the F4 and F3, again shaded toward first base. Only if F4 is deep AND shifted way around on a big lefty does the BU get anywhere near 2nd base.

After buttonhooking into the infield as the ball is hit into left field, the BU has almost the exact same view and angle, if not better, as the PU who is hustling down the third base line to see the catch. So, as NCASAUMP said, if PU is doing his job, and BU is properly doing his job, then it makes no sense for PU to call the tag occuring about 90' away behind his right ear, when the BU can see it from 20' away in his peripheral vision.