Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 02, 2009, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Watch the ball, dummy!

Men's FP this weekend.

R1 on third, R2 on second, I am PU.

Base hit to right field, R1 scores, R2 coming around to score.
I am about 1BL extended watching the runners touch the plate, I glance out to BR between second and third to make sure my partner has him. I turn back toward the plate and see the catcher jumping in the air and the ball about two feet in front of my face..coming fast. BOOM...right on the left cheek.

Fortunately, no teeth knocked loose, jawbone not broken. Felt much better after a couple of beers and Ibuprofen after the game....

A bit swollen this morning and somewhat sore. I'm waiting for the big, nasty bruise that is sure to come.....
Old Sun Aug 02, 2009, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

One word:

LUCKY

That could have been a hell of a lot worse. I'm glad nothing's hurt (other than a bruised ego, I'm sure).

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Aug 02, 2009, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

You forgot a basic tenant of umpire positioning.

Keep the ball and the play in front of you.
Get off the plate, give yourself some room to move if need be.
Not trying to pick nits with you but you had to be waaaaaayyyy too close to the plate in line with the throw for this to happen.
A position that would not have allowed you a good look at a play at the plate had there been one.

Remember, close enough to see and far away to not be a factor in the play.

Last edited by scottk_61; Sun Aug 02, 2009 at 09:12pm.
Old Sun Aug 02, 2009, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

(taking notes for Andy's next eval....)

Watch the ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Tue Aug 04, 2009, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Andy, your post shows that you've learned from this!
Painfull however, but you'll life and won't make that mistake that anymore (I sure hope)...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Tue Aug 04, 2009, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk_61 View Post
Not trying to pick nits with you but you had to be waaaaaayyyy too close to the plate in line with the throw for this to happen.
A position that would not have allowed you a good look at a play at the plate had there been one.
Based on the description, I'm not sure where you get this? The throw sounds like it was a poor throw because the catcher had to jump up to catch it. Just because he was hit does not mean he was in the wrong place. He didn't keep his eye on the ball, but I can't say he was in the wrong place.
Old Tue Aug 04, 2009, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

I am not sure where ASA wants you for tag plays but NCAA you should be in the 6-8 foot range. His next play would be a tag play so there ya go. However I realize the NCAA does not have mens FP and would possibly make adjustments accordingly if they did. Also as a side note: I had an evaluator ask me once " why are you checking for the touch at third when your only responsibility with a runner on second and a base hit to the outfield is the batter runner?" I replied that I had been burned thrown under the bus and then stomped on to put the flames out by a partner once who adimitly denied that it was his responsibility and all of that to a coach. That evaluator said " work your game dont worry about your partner. They may screw up and maybe you see it and can help but dont go looking at things you dont need to just to cover your partners butt." This may be some of the greatest umpiring advice that I have recieved. I was once tense and felt like I had to prove myself and compensate for inadequate partners. I now let them do their job and I do mine. If there is a place where I can sneak a look and it doesnt take away from my primary responsibility then I will. Outside of that I just work my game. I believe that is also a lesson to be learned here.

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Tue Aug 04, 2009, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Red face Whew..me too

I had a very similar incident happen to me, took my eyes off ball to check runner and catcher and ball went sailing by my head, clicked my eyeglasses and nipped my nose. I kind of figured I'm injured but was extremely lucky. The really bad part of this...my daughter was on the bases and in between innings I had been advising her on exactly this point..keep the ball and play in front and never lose track of the ball and then dear old dad breaks the rule bigtime and nearly gets nailed.
Old Tue Aug 04, 2009, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

I think I've mentioned this before, but it's appropriate. I was calling a one-ump game back home. The batter hit a sharp grounder to F4, who quickly flipped it to F3 for the out. I was trailing the BR, and I gave a good, solid "out!" F3 quickly turned towards HP, brought his arm back...

And then I remembered R1, who started on 3B.

One Matrix-move later, I was at a pretty good 90 to the play at the plate. That ball missed my nose by maybe an inch.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.