Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
How bout "NO BALL"?

but I guess someone would pick up in that and follow up with some obscene comment....
That's a start... Anyone else?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 06:10pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
How bout "NO BALL"?

but I guess someone would pick up in that and follow up with some obscene comment....
Hmmm...I'm thinking that might not be a wise line in coed wreck ball.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Hmmm...I'm thinking that might not be a wise line in coed wreck ball.
In all seriousness, we've been instructed to never tell a batter that he has "no balls" when giving the count. I think HugoTafurst's suggestion is a good start, but let's see if there's another way.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
In all seriousness, we've been instructed to never tell a batter that he has "no balls" when giving the count. I think HugoTafurst's suggestion is a good start, but let's see if there's another way.
Actually, that was also taught to me quite awile ago.
I do mostly women's FP, but either way you look at it, you can't win!

It was also reccomended that, after all the spares have been hit out of play, it is not advisable to announce, "I HAVE NO BALLS":

No hears a less common admonition that I read somewhere, when addressing a female F1, do not use the term "Pitch"
(I'm not to good about heeding that one - but I try to ennunciate carefully)
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

No matter what you say in this situation, there is a 50/50 chance a player may react in a manner you didn't expect to a verbal call.

I was taught (and granted it was years ago) that if there was any subsequent play, I would continue with the play and then go back to this misplay with a call (i.e., tag with glove no ball and then a throw to 2B. I'd make the call at 2B then turn back toward the misplay, point at the runner and say something along the lines of, "no tag, safe".
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
No matter what you say in this situation, there is a 50/50 chance a player may react in a manner you didn't expect to a verbal call.

I was taught (and granted it was years ago) that if there was any subsequent play, I would continue with the play and then go back to this misplay with a call (i.e., tag with glove no ball and then a throw to 2B. I'd make the call at 2B then turn back toward the misplay, point at the runner and say something along the lines of, "no tag, safe".
And that's basically what I was advocating, except in the reverse order. I guess it would also depend on how close the subsequent play is. Maybe going primary play first, subsequent play second would give you just a second or two more to process everything (is that nagging voice in the back of my head telling me to slow down again?), but I'm not sure exactly how that would come across.

But you're right, the defense's mistake will bring heat upon you, no matter what you do.

Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And that USED TO BE the ASA standard. When the newer regime stepped in a few yeras back, we were redirected that a) this was never a written directive from the NUS, so it didn't exist, and b) that we wre required to give the FULL count, meaning the number of balls and strikes, both, any time the count was given.

Back to the earlier question, I use (and the NCAA SUIP directs) "No Tag", while making a "safe" signal. Enunciate, make the clear signal; and if the base coaches fail to coach, oh well, too bad, so sad.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh, I conceded that. I just wanted him to be clear on how it could be perceived. I did, in the end, answer his question, and I certainly hope he realizes I meant no offense.
Don't worry Dave, I wasn't offended
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

I say no balls, 2 strikes not zero balls, strikes. F__ the dumb s___ .

Dave, I think you missed the point of an earlier post It said to make a call after doing all the rest. Do that when they make a tag with the forearm. Safe and the safe signal. Obviously they wrote that with a tag at a base in mind (that is what I think but could be wrong), but it still can apply here.

What else do we have about tag plays. Nothing. So I go with what I have. Simple to me. Remember, 39,000 umpires. Saw a play, runner is not out, so I signal and verbalize safe.

When they ask why safe, cuz player tagged with foreman and no part of ball touched the runner.

When they want us to say no tag, they will specifically write this in the manual (that is an assumption on my part).
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Back to the earlier question, I use (and the NCAA SUIP directs) "No Tag", while making a "safe" signal. Enunciate, make the clear signal; and if the base coaches fail to coach, oh well, too bad, so sad.
I like it. I will use it when and where I can.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I believe that generally, this is a good mechanic. However, what is still being taught is that calling "no tag" can be confused for "tag," and that "no tag" should not be used.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying what's being taught.

Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

I use "no tag" and I give the full count.

You dont need to preface the count with "she has.." "we have". Just say "no balls, 2 strikes."

I never have an issue with giving the count. If I get snickers or juvenile crap about that, I've never heard it.