The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Softballs - 275 comp.

Interesting data on the new ball being used by ASA in certain areas:

They are allowing the 1.20 USSSA bats to be used with the 275 core balls.

The balls we are using presently (375 comp) have a max. rating of about 1800 lbs force when they are hit which is a standard number. The balls out there today have a rating of anywhere from 1850 - 2400 lbs of force when hit. (not in standards)

The 275 comp ball, has an average of only 450-475 lbs force when hit even with the USSSA bats. One-Third of the norm. That's why the ball should be used in Recreation League Play (safety)

Another interesting figure he dropped on me was, "it only takes a 1200 lbs force either to fracture a skull seriously or cause death if hit in the head.

Very interesting numbers. No wonder infielders are using all kinds of protective equipment these days.

(info came from a reputable sporting goods company rep)
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

I have no doubt this is the direction in which we'll eventually be going: softballs having less and less "pop" until they're almost mush. Unfortunately, the bat manufacturers are simply going to make bats hotter and hotter until we're right back where we started.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 02:21pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I have no doubt this is the direction in which we'll eventually be going: softballs having less and less "pop" until they're almost mush. Unfortunately, the bat manufacturers are simply going to make bats hotter and hotter until we're right back where we started.
For every action, there is a reaction. I don't doubt you one bit when you said that about the bats getting hotter and hotter.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I fist started playing slowpitch softball ~10 years ago, in the middle of the summer 5 pitchers had been killed nation wide from line drives either in the head or chest, so our league, which was an ASA league, went to softer mid summer for safety reasons. (I didnt pay attention to the #s back then but the balls were noticeably softer). But it seems like the balls used today (44/375) are still "juiced"

This is for slowpitch softball...Ive always said that with the bat technology the way it is its not only becoming too dangerous for pitchers, but also for CI. You figure a 3B will play 5-10' behind the bag, thats only 70-75' from home. You'd call a baseball 3B playing 15-20' in from 3B suicidal for playing that close, yet the balls come down the line with almost the same speeds (for big softball hitters), yet in softball this is acceptable.

It will never happen bc the bat manufacturers pour a ton of $$ into softball and everyone wants to be barry bonds, and not placido polanco, but the game IMO would be better if it were played with wood bats.

just my .02
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 02:36pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshane67 View Post
It will never happen bc the bat manufacturers pour a ton of $$ into softball and everyone wants to be barry bonds, and not placido polanco, but the game IMO would be better if it were played with wood bats.
Ironically, one of the bat manufacturers markets wood bats on their website for slow-pitch. I can't remember which one, noticed it last week when I was looking up the bats for another thread on this website.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Ironically, one of the bat manufacturers markets wood bats on their website for slow-pitch. I can't remember which one, noticed it last week when I was looking up the bats for another thread on this website.
I believe you're referring to Viper.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 02:49pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
I believe you're referring to Viper.
No, but that would make two. I'll look it up, I think it may have been Louisville Slugger.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshane67 View Post
When I fist started playing slowpitch softball ~10 years ago, in the middle of the summer 5 pitchers had been killed nation wide from line drives either in the head or chest, so our league, which was an ASA league, went to softer mid summer for safety reasons. (I didnt pay attention to the #s back then but the balls were noticeably softer). But it seems like the balls used today (44/375) are still "juiced"

This is for slowpitch softball...Ive always said that with the bat technology the way it is its not only becoming too dangerous for pitchers, but also for CI. You figure a 3B will play 5-10' behind the bag, thats only 70-75' from home. You'd call a baseball 3B playing 15-20' in from 3B suicidal for playing that close, yet the balls come down the line with almost the same speeds (for big softball hitters), yet in softball this is acceptable.

just my .02
Part of it is the mentality that some players have, but most of it is due to the equipment. If the restrictions on the bats become loosened by ASA, two things will happen. First, the players will have a sh1t-fit every time we check their bats and say, "oh, you can use that Freak Plus now." Second, the bat manufacturers will just make the bats hotter and hotter until ASA, once more, steps in and says, "enough."

I think ASA should stick with the current bat regulations they have, continue to work with bat manufacturers to keep the doctored bats at bay, as well as pursue the bat doctors who are fouling the game. Also, continue to work with the ball manufacturers to develop a ball that has the same, consistent pop every time. I believe Mike touched on this subject a few months ago.

I will admit that bats are a personal crusade of mine. I think these cheaters should be strung up by their toes and left to rot in the middle of Death Valley. If I can nudge them any closer towards this goal by educating myself and being consistent and diligent EVERY time I check a bat, well, I'm just happy to play my part.

Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think these cheaters should be strung up by their toes and left to rot in the middle of Death Valley.
No, man, the fire ants and scorpions will never get them up there.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
No, man, the fire ants and scorpions will never get them up there.
Good. It'll take longer.

Old Sat Jul 11, 2009, 03:57pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
No, but that would make two. I'll look it up, I think it may have been Louisville Slugger.
Found it. It wasn't Louisville Slugger. It was Worth. They have two models of wooden bats for slow-pitch, one bamboo, and the other ash. Look at:

Bats | WorthSports
Old Sat Jul 11, 2009, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Found it. It wasn't Louisville Slugger. It was Worth. They have two models of wooden bats for slow-pitch, one bamboo, and the other ash. Look at:

Bats | WorthSports
I'm amazed that these bats even pass the test. The properties of wood are never consistent, and each bat will vary greatly.

Old Sat Jul 11, 2009, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm amazed that these bats even pass the test. The properties of wood are never consistent, and each bat will vary greatly.
What test?
Old Sat Jul 11, 2009, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
What test?
The road test.

No, the 98 MPH certification.

Unless they're WAY below 98 MPH. They probably are.

Old Sat Jul 11, 2009, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The road test.

No, the 98 MPH certification.

Unless they're WAY below 98 MPH. They probably are.
I don't believe there is any way to test the compression of a wood bat.