View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshane67 View Post
When I fist started playing slowpitch softball ~10 years ago, in the middle of the summer 5 pitchers had been killed nation wide from line drives either in the head or chest, so our league, which was an ASA league, went to softer mid summer for safety reasons. (I didnt pay attention to the #s back then but the balls were noticeably softer). But it seems like the balls used today (44/375) are still "juiced"

This is for slowpitch softball...Ive always said that with the bat technology the way it is its not only becoming too dangerous for pitchers, but also for CI. You figure a 3B will play 5-10' behind the bag, thats only 70-75' from home. You'd call a baseball 3B playing 15-20' in from 3B suicidal for playing that close, yet the balls come down the line with almost the same speeds (for big softball hitters), yet in softball this is acceptable.

It will never happen bc the bat manufacturers pour a ton of $$ into softball and everyone wants to be barry bonds, and not placido polanco, but the game IMO would be better if it were played with wood bats.

just my .02
Part of it is the mentality that some players have, but most of it is due to the equipment. If the restrictions on the bats become loosened by ASA, two things will happen. First, the players will have a sh1t-fit every time we check their bats and say, "oh, you can use that Freak Plus now." Second, the bat manufacturers will just make the bats hotter and hotter until ASA, once more, steps in and says, "enough."

I think ASA should stick with the current bat regulations they have, continue to work with bat manufacturers to keep the doctored bats at bay, as well as pursue the bat doctors who are fouling the game. Also, continue to work with the ball manufacturers to develop a ball that has the same, consistent pop every time. I believe Mike touched on this subject a few months ago.

I will admit that bats are a personal crusade of mine. I think these cheaters should be strung up by their toes and left to rot in the middle of Death Valley. If I can nudge them any closer towards this goal by educating myself and being consistent and diligent EVERY time I check a bat, well, I'm just happy to play my part.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.