The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal pitch mechanic

If a pitcher is using an illegal pitch but throwing strikes, do you just call them balls and wait for him/her to ask why you're calling balls and then explain how his/her pitch is illegal?
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal pitch is a delayed dead ball. Its not just a "ball". There is a whole series of issues to address, depending on whether the ball was hit and runners, safe or not. Never ever just call "ball" because you saw something illegal.

Put out your right arm and say illegal pitch. If nothing happens (no hit) I then say "thats a ball".

I then start to get set again. If they know the problem (like if I've called it a few times) usually we just go from there. If not, the coach or pitcher/catcher want to know what the problem was and so then I'll explain it.

I do not explain it until I'm asked, whether on bases or as PU.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Illegal pitch is a delayed dead ball. Its not just a "ball". There is a whole series of issues to address, depending on whether the ball was hit and runners, safe or not. Never ever just call "ball" because you saw something illegal.

Put out your right arm and say illegal pitch. If nothing happens (no hit) I then say "thats a ball".

I then start to get set again. If they know the problem (like if I've called it a few times) usually we just go from there. If not, the coach or pitcher/catcher want to know what the problem was and so then I'll explain it.

I do not explain it until I'm asked, whether on bases or as PU.
Left arm, please.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Ha! DOHHH! Yes of course. Left arm. Thanks!
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

So, arm goes out and you verbalize as soon as you see the illegal pitch?
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

To be honest, because I am a slow caller on just about everything I call, I dont jump on it. Usually its after the pitch is delivered by the time I've said and done all that. They pitch pretty fast...

The exception would be like stepping on the plate with hands together, which i see well before the pitch is thrown.

Something like a lane violation, I dont yell stuff that quick.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Left arm, please.
And don't hold your arm out too long!!!! If you hold it out and the batter fouls it back, it can hurt severly when it hits your arm!!!!!! I only did that once.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
So, arm goes out and you verbalize as soon as you see the illegal pitch?
Umpiring 101
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Umpiring 101
agreed

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Well, at least ASA Umpiring 101...

Your mileage might vary depending on what sanctioning body you're working for.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Well, at least ASA Umpiring 101...

Your mileage might vary depending on what sanctioning body you're working for.
Are you telling me that there are organizations that let umpires on the field without at least telling them how to call an IP?
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you telling me that there are organizations that let umpires on the field without at least telling them how to call an IP?
Well YA, most of them do. ASA and FED will let you on the field as a registered umpire without telling you how to call an IP. The information is in the book, and they assume you read it prior to umpiring a game, but neither tests you on your mechanics prior to registering you. Most states require you take a NFHS test prior to getting your license, and there are a few mechanics questions on there so it MAY be covered, but possibly not. ASA usually is a send us your money and info and we will send you a book and card. ASA does do a GREAT job, IMO, in my area, of providing schools and clinics to learn these things (that attendance is required prior to working state sanctioned tournies) but to work league games all that is required is to pay your registration fees, from what I have heard most states are also this way.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh please. Don't be so naive.

Next, you'll be shocked and appalled when I tell you there are basketball referees out there officiating adult men's league games that aren't explicitly taught the proper mechanic for calling and reporting a timeout.

OH THE HUMANITY!!

Last edited by fiasco; Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 09:45am.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Oh please. Don't be so naive.
Me, naive? Yeah, right. Wake up, the coffee's brewing.

ASA, NFHS, NCAA and I'm sure a few others absolutely provide the information and instruction.

If an umpire does not get it, you cannot blame the organization. The information is there in a very timely and multimedia fashion.

I can only think of three reasons why someone would be put on the field without proper instruction:

The local association is too lazy to provide the appropriate training;

The local association needs umpires and people join too late for the clinics; or

The person just doesn't want to be bothered learning the right way to do things, just give them a schedule and tell them how to collect their money.

While they cannot be everything to everyone, the associations with which I have been involved always made their best effort to provide the appropriate training. If anything, our training is poached, but that's another issue.

Again, some people (they certainly are not umpires) don't want to learn or think they know better than the years of development and adjustment.

The sad part is when the training is not available or the person thinks they can skate by asking everyone else how it is done. This is why I get skeptical when someone comes on this or any other site with a litany of very routine questions.

I don't mind helping people. If I did, I certainly would do what I do. However, a web site is no place to learn how to umpire or the basic rules and applications. God help the umpire who tells an evaluator or UIC, "but that is the way they told me to do it on officiating.com".

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 11:40am.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Me, naive? Yeah, right. Wake up, the coffee's brewing.

ASA, NFHS, NCAA and I'm sure a few others absolutely provide the information and instruction.

If an umpire does not get it, you cannot blame the organization. The information is there in a very timely and multimedia fashion.

I can only think of three reasons why someone would be put on the field without proper instruction:

The local association is too lazy to provide the appropriate training;

The local association needs umpires and people join too late for the clinics; or

The person just doesn't want to be bothered learning the right way to do things, just give them a schedule and tell them how to collect their money.

While they cannot be everything to everyone, the associations with which I have been involved always made their best effort to provide the appropriate training. If anything, our training is poached, but that's another issue.

Again, some people (they certainly are not umpires) don't want to learn or think they know better than the years of development and adjustment.

The sad part is when the training is not available or the person thinks they can skate by asking everyone else how it is done. This is why I get skeptical when someone comes on this or any other site with a litany of very routine questions.

I don't mind helping people. If I did, I certainly would do what I do. However, a web site is no place to learn how to umpire or the basic rules and applications. God help the umpire who tells an evaluator or UIC, "but that is the way they told me to do it on officiating.com".
Welcome to the real world, sir.

That's life. Sometimes umpires fall through the cracks and don't get top notch training. The good news is that, in the majority of these cases (as in mine), these umpires are doing low level recreation co-ed games. Not that I will call them meaningless, but not properly understanding the IP mechanic in this case is really not the end of the world as you so dramatically make it out to be.

Were I to move up, say, to upper level men's league softball or even fast pitch girls softball, of course I would get the proper training through my association.

But the reality is, when you're new like me, you start out doing low-level games where the players are there just to have a good time, and so am I for the most part. I care about the job I do, and my assignor is not always readily available to answer my questions when I think of them. So I come to places like this, only to encounter pretentious blowhards like yourself hellbent on protecting the integrity of the game via an internet message board.

So, I'm not bothered by the flippancy I get when I ask a simple question and get a "oh that's softball 101" answer. Some people have the heart of a teacher, some do not. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not trying to skate by. I read some of the ASA manual every day. Some days I get it. Some days I feel like I'm getting dumber with every page I read. I write down scenarios from games I work and talk them over with my assignor. I ask some questions here. Some of them are stupid questions, but I've never been afraid to ask stupid questions and encounter people who love to tell you how stupid your question is. That's just life.

Last edited by fiasco; Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 12:24pm.