The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Mechanics question (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/53880-mechanics-question.html)

youngump Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 612994)
You need to be just in foul territory at a 90 degree 10-12 feet from the base for that play

Are you seriously maintaining that you're fast enough to get to that position on the play I described with a good age group playing? In the time it takes a fast runner to cover 40-ish feet --starting moving -- you can go from set to a position 65 feet away? What should a slower guy like me do? If the runners going 40 feet, you have about 35 feet to work with for me.
________
Vaporizers

wadeintothem Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:40pm

While I am faster than the average umpire, it depends on the situation. Lets say that on a particular play you were not fast enough or even possible for anyone to be in the ideal position; that doesnt change the ideal position.

You asked where SHOULD you be.

A 90 10-12 is ideal "by the book", sometimes I close from there on a tag play as it develops depending on what is happening.

SRW Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:41pm

Remember...

Angle over distance.

You already have the angle. Close the distance the best you can.

youngump Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 613007)
Remember...

Angle over distance.

I don't have the angle Wade suggested, but I'm thinking more angle is the best thing I can get here. On this play, I'd want to work inside toward the circle to try and get at least 120 to the throw.

What angle would you suggest for this play?
________
Nexium Side Effects

Steve M Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 613008)
I don't have the angle Wade suggested, but I'm thinking more angle is the best thing I can get here. On this play, I'd want to work inside toward the circle to try and get at least 120 to the throw.

What angle would you suggest for this play?

Actually, I'd want to be as far up the 3B line as I could reasonably get and just inside the line. If this is a tag play, 90-degree angle to the tag. If this is a force play, then outside the line may be pretty good, so I've got a look at the throw being caught and the runner hitting the base.

youngump Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 613005)
Lets say that on a particular play you were not fast enough or even possible for anyone to be in the ideal position; that doesnt change the ideal position.

Sure it does. If I run toward the position you are suggesting and make it about 45 feet, I will be straightlined to the throw. Unless someone explains to me something better I want angle on this throw so I'm going inside.
________
Live sex

youngump Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 613012)
Actually, I'd want to be as far up the 3B line as I could reasonably get and just inside the line. If this is a tag play, 90-degree angle to the tag. If this is a force play, then outside the line may be pretty good, so I've got a look at the throw being caught and the runner hitting the base.

You'd be straightlined to the throw though.
________
WAWLADY live

wadeintothem Tue Jul 07, 2009 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 613015)
Sure it does. If I run toward the position you are suggesting and make it about 45 feet, I will be straightlined to the throw. Unless someone explains to me something better I want angle on this throw so I'm going inside.

If you go inside that far, you will get dinged on an eval. When they want you to think, they'll post it for you in the umpire manual. :cool:

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jul 07, 2009 04:31pm

Quote:

Remember...

Angle over distance.

Way too much emphasis placed on speed in this game, at least, for umpires.

Get to where you need to be at the best angle you can get. I've worked 6-man games that still didn't cover every possible angle imaginable, so don't worry about it and just do the best you can.

Andy Tue Jul 07, 2009 09:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 612910)
(note to self....Check Andy's mechanics this weekend.....)

Hey, boss...it wasn't me that came up with this crazy idea.

My partner was the one that presented this to me saying..."that's the way we are doing it in Texas."

I just wanted to see if anyone else is doing or teaching that the BU has a call at third in the OP.

SethPDX Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:24pm

Quote:

Remember...

Angle over distance.

Thread over! :cool:

No need to get up in arms over being too far away on a fast-developing play. You'd be surprised how well you can see with just a good angle.

Steve M Wed Jul 08, 2009 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 613016)
You'd be straightlined to the throw though.

Part of the positioning is going to be based on read & react. So, While I might get straightlined, it's not likely.

ntxblue Wed Jul 08, 2009 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 613165)
My partner was the one that presented this to me saying..."that's the way we are doing it in Texas."

From what part of Texas? I can't imagine that ever being taught in the Dallas area.