The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 04, 2009, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Rule Clarifications

With no outs and R1 on 2B, B2 hits a line drive to F7. R1 is off on the hit and headed toward 3B when F7 misses the sinking line drive and knocks the ball forward on the ground in front of him. While running in and trying to scoop up the ball, F7 kicks the ball into the 3B dugout. When the ball entered the 3B dugout, R1 is two steps from 3B and B2 is not yet to 1B. Which bases should R1 and B2 be awarded?

RULING: R1 is awarded home and B2 is awarded 2B. The ball being kicked into dead ball territory would be treated the same as if F7 threw the ball into dead ball territory. Each runner would be awarded two bases from the time the ball left F7’s foot.

(Rule 8, Section 5G)
Old Sun Jul 05, 2009, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

So would that mean...

PLAY: No outs, no base runners. B1 hits a high infield fly. F5 misplays the ball over fair territory. The ball bounces off F5's head into dead ball territory. At the time the ball hit F5's head, B1 is two steps past first. RULING: B1 is awarded third base.

Or is it different because in the original play F7 supplied extra "force" via the kick?
Old Sun Jul 05, 2009, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Please see my OP at ????

What's different? I'm confused!!
Old Sun Jul 05, 2009, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

BTW IRISH: Is this from ASA website or what is your reference?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
With no outs and R1 on 2B, B2 hits a line drive to F7. R1 is off on the hit and headed toward 3B when F7 misses the sinking line drive and knocks the ball forward on the ground in front of him. While running in and trying to scoop up the ball, F7 kicks the ball into the 3B dugout. When the ball entered the 3B dugout, R1 is two steps from 3B and B2 is not yet to 1B. Which bases should R1 and B2 be awarded?

RULING: R1 is awarded home and B2 is awarded 2B. The ball being kicked into dead ball territory would be treated the same as if F7 threw the ball into dead ball territory. Each runner would be awarded two bases from the time the ball left F7’s foot.

(Rule 8, Section 5G)
Old Sun Jul 05, 2009, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpire View Post
Please see my OP at ????

What's different? I'm confused!!
batted v. thrown
Old Sun Jul 05, 2009, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpire View Post
btw irish: Is this from asa website or what is your reference?

Thanks.
nus
Old Sun Jul 05, 2009, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
batted v. thrown
Still confused....if F7 "...knocks the ball forward on the ground in front of him", then "...kicks the ball into the 3B dugout." "RULING: The ball being kicked into dead ball territory would be treated the same as if F7 threw the ball into dead ball territory. Each runner would be awarded two bases from the time the ball left F7’s foot."

"Thrown ball hits fence between 3B and HP, F5 attempts to field it on rebound, and knocks it over the fence with his glove (unintentionally, IMO)." (From my OP)

Can't follow diff between "kicks" and "knocks...with glove".

If, in your OP, F7's initial touch is negated by kick, then why is RF's throw (in my OP) not negated when ball hits fence and rebounds towards field of play?

Last edited by gumpire; Sun Jul 05, 2009 at 04:00pm. Reason: Bold type is applied by me.
Old Sun Jul 05, 2009, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

ASA's rules or interpretations never specifically addressed this scenario. For that matter, it STILL does not address a deflected fair batted ball leaving the field of play in fair territory!

Here is the difference as I see it. In the interpretation offered on the batted ball, there is no point where the defense ever controlled the ball, yet they caused the ball to leave the field of play.

In your scenario, the defense did possess and throw the ball, which is clearly covered in the rule book and has been for years. The rules specifically state that runners are awarded two bases from the time of the release of the throw. This award is not reset every time that thrown ball touches another defender even if that contact redirected or caused the ball to enter DBT.

The rules do address if the defender receives the ball and loses it attempting a tag, but that was not your scenario.