The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Non-approved bat list

Who has this thing memorized?

Always trying to improve my skills, but I don't go into a game looking for problems. So I don't have a printout with me. I basically just look for the seal, cracks and dents.

Are there any common ones that they're always trying to get in?
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Who has this thing memorized?

Always trying to improve my skills, but I don't go into a game looking for problems. So I don't have a printout with me. I basically just look for the seal, cracks and dents.

Are there any common ones that they're always trying to get in?
You really, really, REALLY need to get a printed list. There are a number of bats that have been banned that have the stamps.

I don't have it memorized, but I do have the majority of them committed enough to memory to know when I encounter a bat similar enough that I need to verify it off of the list.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Listen, if it helps any, I have a script that runs on my server at home that checks the ASA non-approved list every day at noon. Whenever there's a change, it emails everyone who has subscribed to the listserv. There haven't been any changes to the list since March of 2008, and with the rule change this year regarding stamps, the list is no longer over 100 bats like it used to be.

If you want on the mailing list, just let me know. I'm always happy to help fellow umpires out. I just don't know how to make it any easier for y'all, short of setting up one of those damned robocalls.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

I believe there are 4 primary offenders for girls FP on that list - (and the rest of the bats are primarily SP bats).

Catalyst (the -8 "grey button" one)
Synergy 2
Lady Virus (i believe this one was the latest addition)

are the 3 I know. I cant remember the 4th.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Wed Jul 01, 2009 at 11:47pm.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys,

I'd very much like to be on the mailing list. I did make a printout with pictures to make the visual a little easier, so here we go.

If it's not too big a list, could you let me know which stamped bats have been banned? Seems these would be among the most likely to show up.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

Heads up, I got the list of non-approved bearing the 2000 or 2004 stamps. Thanks again in advance
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Thanks guys,

I'd very much like to be on the mailing list. I did make a printout with pictures to make the visual a little easier, so here we go.

If it's not too big a list, could you let me know which stamped bats have been banned? Seems these would be among the most likely to show up.
Just go here and fill out the form. That's an invitation to anyone else interested, too.

Just trying to help out my brothers and sisters in blue (or whatever color your org wears)...

Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

I have the list of the non-approved bats w/ ASA certification mark.

How can I tell if a bat is on the list if there are similar bats by the manufacturer? I had one issue w/ the Miken "FREAK". Apparently, there is more than 1 Freak bat. The one on the list has the Bat Name of "MSF Freak".
During a league game we questioned one of the Freak bats. As I recall, it might have had lettering that was a bit different and the bat was labeled as F-R-E-A-K, [with the dashes in between the letters].

Other bats have what appear to be manufacturing or part numbers, example is the Louisville Slugger SB404. Is the SB404 embedded on the bat anywhere? The picture of this bat indicates that it's a Louisville Slugger TPS.

Another is the Worth WWSC Wicked Comp. (SP Only). Does this mean there are 2 different bats, one for SP and one for FP, or does it mean that this one bat is not approved for SP use but is OK for FP use?

Thanx for any help.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

The majority of the bat manufacturers have fallen in line with reality: give unique model numbers and make them easier to distinguish from each other, or your bats will probably get tossed from games. However, there are a few "strays" from the early days that you might encounter. That Wicked bat is one of them, as there are others that look a lot like it.

If I can't determine if a bat is one particular model over another, I have them remove it unless they prove to me that the bat is one model and not the other. It's better to err on the side of caution.

If the players don't like it, tough. They're the ones who bought a bat from a manufacturer that doesn't know how to properly label things.

And frankly, with all the doctoring going on out there, I'm not so sure the bat is really what they say it is anyway, but that's another matter.

Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 12:42pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I had one issue w/ the Miken "FREAK". Apparently, there is more than 1 Freak bat. The one on the list has the Bat Name of "MSF Freak".
During a league game we questioned one of the Freak bats. As I recall, it might have had lettering that was a bit different and the bat was labeled as F-R-E-A-K, [with the dashes in between the letters].

Other bats have what appear to be manufacturing or part numbers, example is the Louisville Slugger SB404. Is the SB404 embedded on the bat anywhere? The picture of this bat indicates that it's a Louisville Slugger TPS.

Another is the Worth WWSC Wicked Comp. (SP Only). Does this mean there are 2 different bats, one for SP and one for FP, or does it mean that this one bat is not approved for SP use but is OK for FP use?

Thanx for any help.
MSF Freak is listed on the Miken website as Freak Plus, so if you see the Plus under Freak, that would be the MSF Freak bat.

I don't ever recall seeing Miken printing a Freak like this. I would be very very suspicious if it isn't an altered bat. Plus, my research of the internet turns up no picture of such a Freak bat.

From what I gathered, the SB404 is NOT printed on the bat, but the bat is also known as the Response XXL, which you will see printed on the bat. And yes, it is a TPS series bat.

Yes, Worth does make more than this model of the Wicked. This is the composite model of Wicked designed for slow-pitch. They have another aluminum alloy Wicked for slow-pitch (Though from what I've seen, it's not available till 2010). They also have Wicked in aluminum for fast-pitch.

You're welcome. Now, I'm open to discussion of my research fee. Just kidding, have a great day!
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
I don't ever recall seeing Miken printing a Freak like this. I would be very very suspicious if it isn't an altered bat. Plus, my research of the internet turns up no picture of such a Freak bat.

This may be the bat to which Ted is referring, the Freak 98.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 01:23pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
[/COLOR]

That crossed my mind too, but it just didn't ring in with the description, which Ted said there were actually dashes in between the letters. Maybe Ted could elaborate if that might have been the bat.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
I believe there are 4 primary offenders for girls FP on that list - (and the rest of the bats are primarily SP bats).

Catalyst (the -8 "grey button" one)
Synergy 2
Lady Virus (i believe this one was the latest addition)

are the 3 I know. I cant remember the 4th.
for FP

Nokoma Tomahawk
Schutt Red/Silver
Also, the Catalyst 305 is the illegal one, not the 205

For all
http://www.asasoftball.com/about/bui...t_one_page.asp
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
[/COLOR]

Yes, guys. That looks like the bat we checked out. Obviously not dashes there but some design in between the lettering of FREAK. This was from a game last year, so memory wasn't as clear.

We had the bat list on site in an equipment locker, and after checking, we allowed the bat to remain in the game.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Yes, guys. That looks like the bat we checked out. Obviously not dashes there but some design in between the lettering of FREAK. This was from a game last year, so memory wasn't as clear.

We had the bat list on site in an equipment locker, and after checking, we allowed the bat to remain in the game.
If that is the bat in question, your actions were just fine. The Freak 98 is an approved bat.