The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Mike Candrea play

R1 on 1b, no outs. B2 Bunts. F4 comes to cover 1b and r1 runs so as to just make slight contact that prevents f4 from getting to 1B. He has his players do this and Malcolm Boyles told us about this play at the FP camp.

Naturally, now F4 takes a more circular route to 1b. I imagine when it happened at first f4 was quite near the base line and r1 did not have to go to far to get her. Never saw the play; just trying to describe it.

What are you going to do? If you know what they did, please refrain. If it goes no where, heck, give em the answer.
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
R1 on 1b, no outs. B2 Bunts. F4 comes to cover 1b and r1 runs so as to just make slight contact that prevents f4 from getting to 1B. He has his players do this and Malcolm Boyles told us about this play at the FP camp.

Naturally, now F4 takes a more circular route to 1b. I imagine when it happened at first f4 was quite near the base line and r1 did not have to go to far to get her.
Speaking ASA

Obviously, this is pure umpire observation and judgment on behalf of the umpire.

There is no rule to cover this as interference though it could be obvious that R1 is committing an act of interference. By definition and RS 33, it is interference, but there is no associated rule.

There was a rule change proposal a couple years ago that would have handled this on an UC level, but it went nowhere.
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Who has the right of way? The runner. F4 isn't in possession of the ball, fielding a batted ball, nor making a throw, or any protected activity. Unless you are prepared to rule malicious contact, flagrant contact, or an unsporting act, the runner can choose her running path, even to the effect of hindering the unprotected fielder.

At the same time, if you don't rule obstruction, the runner (R1) has made a play on her at 2nd easier for the defense.
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Who has the right of way? The runner. F4 isn't in possession of the ball, fielding a batted ball, nor making a throw, or any protected activity. Unless you are prepared to rule malicious contact, flagrant contact, or an unsporting act, the runner can choose her running path, even to the effect of hindering the unprotected fielder.

At the same time, if you don't rule obstruction, the runner (R1) has made a play on her at 2nd easier for the defense.
Aaahh!!! This is where that judgment-thingy comes into play. IF you judge the runner was running out of their way for the purpose of drawing OBS, they are not being impeded by the defense.

I doubt, however, that such a move would ever be that obvious, much like the Japanese use their F4 to obstruct a runner coming off of 1B. This is something that was noticed (and maybe discussed here) a couple years ago during the World Cup. I believe one of the talking heads (Michelle Smith?) pointed it out. The movement is so slight it is barely noticeable, yet it will force the runner to take an extra step or two to the outside.
It is a calculated risk that they are willing to take to gain a possible advantage.
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 01:07pm
Ref Ump Welsch

This is something I keep an eye out for in slow-pitch, especially on those slow rollers in coed wreck. Sometimes the runner is a big burly guy who could knock Miss California (the former one) on her rear, and that could get ugly, just plain ugly.
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
This is something I keep an eye out for in slow-pitch, especially on those slow rollers in coed wreck. Sometimes the runner is a big burly guy who could knock Miss California (the former one) on her rear, and that could get ugly, just plain ugly.
Strangely, in coed rec SP, I have yet to see F4 attempt to cover 1B on such a play.
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Had that happen just last night. Bubba hit a deep shot past the outfielders, rounded 1B, and WHAM! Sweet lil F3 got knocked to the ground. Bubba had enough time to pick her up back onto her feet and make it to 2B. We gave him 3B.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur View Post
Strangely, in coed rec SP, I have yet to see F4 attempt to cover 1B on such a play.
I've seen it only a handful of times, usually in the "upper levels," and sometimes by mistake.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I've seen it only a handful of times, usually in the "upper levels," and sometimes by mistake.
With the coed rec SP around here, this would probably only happen by mistake regardless of level!
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Had that happen just last night. Bubba hit a deep shot past the outfielders, rounded 1B, and WHAM! Sweet lil F3 got knocked to the ground. Bubba had enough time to pick her up back onto her feet and make it to 2B. We gave him 3B.
Well, if Bubba took the time to help brush the dirt off, he may have scored!
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Nah, Bubba wasn't all THAT fast. I even thought 3B was pushing it a little, but that was my partner's call.

Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nah, Bubba wasn't all THAT fast. I even thought 3B was pushing it a little, but that was my partner's call.
What was that which just soared over your head?
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What was that which just soared over your head?
Wow... I totally missed that one!

Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow... I totally missed that one!
Yes you did.

Well, Mike and Alt Ump Steve put forth the two positions. Malcolm stated same thing as AltUmpSteve. I said I would go with USC but that is cause that is not spirit of fair play in my mind. My understanding is in the Pac 10 they went with Steve's thinking.

Ron
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He's on fire today, folks!

Of course, he is getting set up pretty nicely.