The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   identifying runners (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/53645-identifying-runners.html)

Welpe Tue Jun 16, 2009 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 609244)
Why are traffic lights in that particular order?

Heck why is it in Houston, TX (or is it all of Texas?) all of their traffic lights run horizontally while almost everywhere else I've been they are vertical? That's what I want to know. :D

I agree with Bret, I keep them separate and do as I'm expected in each sport. It really isn't something worth losing sleep over.

On a side note, since you guys are having your fun with baseball, the official rules require that the umpire call "Time" to kill the ball. You guys wouldn't want an umpire to do something not by the book, now would you? :)

5.10 The ball becomes dead when an umpire calls “Time.” The umpire-in-chief shall call “Time”—

tcblue13 Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by greymule (Post 609166)
The OBR rule book uses my favorite system of designation: "Abel on 3B, Baker on 2B, Charles on 1B, Daniels hits a drive to right center . . ."

or

"Edwards is due to bat but French bats instead and singles."

However, this system is now abandoned, as it requires facility with the alphabet.

And even there the primary designation is the farthest advanced, secondary next farthest, tertiary least farthest. Abel is ultimate, Baker is penultimate and Charlie is antepenultimate. It is JUST LIKE R1, R2, and R3.

ronald Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcblue13 (Post 609311)
And even there the primary designation is the farthest advanced, secondary next farthest, tertiary least farthest. Abel is ultimate, Baker is penultimate and Charlie is antepenultimate. It is JUST LIKE R1, R2, and R3.

You don't mean that softball guys got it right in modern terminology and baseball guys don't. Shucks, we sure are good.:D:cool::p::)

IRISHMAFIA Wed Jun 17, 2009 07:37am

[quote=IRISHMAFIA;609195]From the MLB Official Rules, Section 2.00 Definitions:

A DEAD BALL is a ball out of play because of a legally created temporary

suspension of play.

“TIME” is the announcement by an umpire of a legal interruption of play, during
which the ball is dead

This seems to be the difference. In softball (speaking ASA), TIME is a voluntary suspension of play granted by the umpire and a DEAD BALL is a situation where the ball becomes dead for any particular reason other than when TIME is invoked by the umpire.

In baseball, TIME is the declaration offered for both scenarios.

It seems to be similar to INT versus OBS. In baseball, there is "defensive interference" and "obstruction". The DI is when a member of the defense hinders the batter from hitting the ball and OBS when a member of the defense hinders a runner. In softball, anytime the defense hinders the offense, it is OBS.

greymule Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:04am

True, but the actual names make the play easier for me to picture. Adds some realism to have "Baker" committing interference rather than "R2."

I haven't encountered the term antepenultimate since I studied Latin. ("If the penultimate syllable is a short vowel, the accent is on the antepenultimate syllable.") But of course antepenultimate means "third from the end," so I'm not sure how you apply it to Charles, who is third from the beginning in the inning.

Someday I hope to have the opportunity to say, "The run counts, Coach. The antepenultimate runner scored before the penultimate runner was tagged out."

The YSISF uses a combination of OBR (name) and softball (number) for offensive designations: Mohammed 1, Mohammed 2, Mohammed 3, etc. It takes a while to describe a complex "what if" situation.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by greymule (Post 609368)
True, but the actual names make the play easier for me to picture. Adds some realism to have "Baker" committing interference rather than "R2."

Batters advancing in alphabetical order seems "real" to you? That is almost as convenient as people dying in alphabetical order to make it easier to sort through the newspaper's obituary section. :rolleyes:

Just kidding :D

tcblue13 Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 609369)
That is almost as convenient as people dying in alphabetical order to make it easier to sort through the newspaper's obituary section. :rolleyes:

Just kidding :D

You mean they don't:eek:

NCASAUmp Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcblue13 (Post 609386)
You mean they don't:eek:

Well there goes that mystery...