The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 04, 2001, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

In CT this season, we are using an extended coach's box (as an NFHS authorized experiment). We're adding 10 extra feet, making the box go from 12 ft off the end line to 28 ft off the end line. Of course, it is still to be seen whether the coaches will stay in the larger box, and whether the officials will enforce it more strictly now thatit is larger.

Is anyone else using this modification this season? If so, how has it been working?

BTW, if the school does not have the extended box marked, the home coach has to sit, while the visiting coach can go anywhere on his side of the court.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2001, 01:37pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
In CT this season, we are using an extended coach's box (as an NFHS authorized experiment). We're adding 10 extra feet, making the box go from 12 ft off the end line to 28 ft off the end line. Of course, it is still to be seen whether the coaches will stay in the larger box, and whether the officials will enforce it more strictly now thatit is larger.

Is anyone else using this modification this season? If so, how has it been working?

BTW, if the school does not have the extended box marked, the home coach has to sit, while the visiting coach can go anywhere on his side of the court.
Mark,
I would like to see the NCAA box in high school, all the way down to the end line.
If I can deal with a coach in our present six foot box, I can deal with the coach in a 28' box.
Maybe I'll learn something, cuz he'll be able to help me that much longer.
mick
Old Thu Jan 04, 2001, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

I appreciate Mick's response. Our first responsibility, of course, is the 10 kids on the floor. I don't believe officials need to be checking where coaches are (unless they are at mid court) until their actions or verbage draw our attention away from the game -- just a thought.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2001, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Arkansas 12'

In Arkansas we have used a 12' coaching box for two seasons. The coaches that don't stay in a 6' box, don't stay in a 12' box either. I agree the coaching box should be to the end line like college. My rule of thumb is if the coach is coaching and not officiating then I let him alone. If he starts chewing, box in or out he gets a 'T' and looses the box. The problem in Arkansas is that home coaches hire the officials for their home games, thus the term homer. Most officials are afraid to take care of business and they will not call the 'T' for fear of not being asked back. I have a full schedule, so I take care of what needs to be taken care of. Only called one coach 'T' so far this season, but we are now in conference paly and things will tighten up. I vote for an enlarged box and let the coach coach the kids.

Jerry
Old Thu Jan 04, 2001, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with you as long as the coach is just coaching I do not see this as a big deal. He is not realy bothering anyone but trying to help his/her kids out.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2001, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Why a coaching box? Am I ignorant or too simplistic?

Jerry - My jaw dropped when I read that the Coach hired the officials... Is this at the Varsity Level?

I agree With Commish... "Our first responsibility, of course, is the 10 kids on the floor."

I agree with Mick... Coaching box, Smooching box, whatever... Officials have the tools to deal with the coaches who "Cross the line" (Where ever it may be laid on the court)

Old Thu Jan 04, 2001, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
I agree 100% with williebfree!!

If a coach deserves a "T", I doesn't matter where he/she is standing, they're gonna get it. After that, they have an even smaller box. It's the same exact size as their butt.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
I agree 100% with williebfree!!

If a coach deserves a "T", I doesn't matter where he/she is standing, they're gonna get it. After that, they have an even smaller box. It's the same exact size as their butt.
For some, that's not so small!
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Smile

In our schools there are none which have marked boxes for the coaches, we had a game were one coach spent more time at half court and beyond than he did near "the box". So a half, after many warnings to stay back my partner,a veteran of many years, pulled out a roll of masking tape made two boxes on both sides and then told the coaches if they violated he would T them no warning or question. It worked, I was suprised and learned somthing. I carry a roll with me now but I've never used it except to pick lint off my shirt or pants.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Here in Oh we are using a modification that the box can be the entire length of the bench. The catch is it must be marked on both ends, for both teams; if not, all the coaches are benchwarmers.

We are told by the state that we are not to touch the floor. We can encourage the coach or ad to lay the tape down, but we cannot do it. Too much liability.

It is amazing how fast they run to get the tape down when you threaten taking away the box.

[Edited by Brian Watson on Jan 5th, 2001 at 08:56 AM]
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

In Wisconsin, if the boxes are not marked, you sit.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Coaches do hire

Williefree
Yes the coaches or AD hires the home officials at all levels from 7th grade to HS SV. We have tried to get the state association to form an assigment system but not in the 20+ years I've been a ref. As you can see a lot of pressure is put on the officials because they are hired and paid by the home school. Most don't pay us on the floor, that really looks bad. They usually come in the dressing room and give us our checks or sometimes cash (that's rare). Our state association cannot understand why officials don't enforce the coaching box rule. Officials are afraid to upset the head coach because they won't be hired again. Gives the coaches way too much power. Veteran officials have learned how to work the system. Most coaches know where "the line in the sand is" and will usually back off before getting a 'T' especially in a close game. Blow outs are another matter, coaches will push to the maximum even if down by 20-30 points. Don't you just love it when coaches start officiating?
Jerry
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 11:58am
In Memoriam

Re: Coaches do hire

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Baldwin
Williefree
Yes the coaches or AD hires the home officials at all levels from 7th grade to HS SV. We have tried to get the state association to form an assigment system but not in the 20+ years I've been a ref. As you can see a lot of pressure is put on the officials because they are hired and paid by the home school. Most don't pay us on the floor, that really looks bad. They usually come in the dressing room and give us our checks or sometimes cash (that's rare). Our state association cannot understand why officials don't enforce the coaching box rule. Officials are afraid to upset the head coach because they won't be hired again. Gives the coaches way too much power. Veteran officials have learned how to work the system. Most coaches know where "the line in the sand is" and will usually back off before getting a 'T' especially in a close game. Blow outs are another matter, coaches will push to the maximum even if down by 20-30 points. Don't you just love it when coaches start officiating?
Jerry
Jerry,
It sounds like you have an identical scenario to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Perhaps that is why there seems to be a less antagonistic approach to coaches, in some areas, than in others.
mick
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 11:41pm
Administrator

Re: Why a coaching box? Am I ignorant or too simplistic?

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Jerry - My jaw dropped when I read that the Coach hired the officials... Is this at the Varsity Level?

I agree With Commish... "Our first responsibility, of course, is the 10 kids on the floor."

I agree with Mick... Coaching box, Smooching box, whatever... Officials have the tools to deal with the coaches who "Cross the line" (Where ever it may be laid on the court)

Two points:

1) The 6 ft coaching box in an OhioHSAA invention that the NFHS finally adopted. And now for the last 2 yrs the coaching box in Ohio is from the hash mark to the last team personel on the bench so if you bring lots of assistant coaches, managers, and trainers your bench can be all of the way to the end line. The only thing the home school cannot do is make so the visiting team has a smaller coaching box than the home team.

2) Do not be suprised about a state where the coaches picks the officials. That is how it works in Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana. If you officiate the game the way it is supposed to be done and not how the coaches want it you will not officiate, and NW Ohio is the worst area in the state for coaches pulling the strings of the officials. I have officiated in Ohio, California, Michigan, and Florida, and the officials from Ohio and Michigan can't compare to the other two states because they have to please the coaches instead of calling the game the way it is supposed to be done.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 06, 2001, 12:34am
In Memoriam

Question more info, please

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree

Two points:

1) The 6 ft coaching box in an OhioHSAA invention that the NFHS finally adopted. And now for the last 2 yrs the coaching box in Ohio is from the hash mark to the last team personel on the bench so if you bring lots of assistant coaches, managers, and trainers your bench can be all of the way to the end line. The only thing the home school cannot do is make so the visiting team has a smaller coaching box than the home team.

2) Do not be suprised about a state where the coaches picks the officials. That is how it works in Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana. If you officiate the game the way it is supposed to be done and not how the coaches want it you will not officiate, and NW Ohio is the worst area in the state for coaches pulling the strings of the officials. I have officiated in Ohio, California, Michigan, and Florida, and the officials from Ohio and Michigan can't compare to the other two states because they have to please the coaches instead of calling the game the way it is supposed to be done.
Mark,
Having had such experiences, are there any advantages/disadvantages to the Officials that you have noticed? Like better/worse "on floor" relationships with fans, coaches, players, police?
Or does it just detract from the "freedom of expression" that an official may exercise?
mick