The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Best laugh of the season

Thought I would ask what has been your best laugh of the season.

Last night I volunteered to do a LL game after a whole spring of HS ball and tournaments. That's where I got started and I like going back there when I can, which isn't often.

I'm PU. We had a routine ground out for the 3rd out of the inning. Except F3 can't hang onto a perfect throw and the ball winds up on the ground. My partner, who I believe is a parent volunteer, is in C. Though I wasn't watching him he must have launched into his "out" call as soon as the throw contacted F3's glove. I hear the verbal "out," and then see the ball come out of F3's glove. Hearing nothing for a second or so I look toward C and see my partner had done a mechanic where he threw his right arm across his body and pivoted about 45 deg to his left and was looking straight at the ground, not facing first base. Hs's juicing the call for all the theatre he can and missing the play.

Now the defensive coach sees this and quickly begins yelling out to his players "off the field." As the defense trots off, the batting team is going nuts and my BU is trotting back to A to begin the next inning when he finally realizes that something happened and he looks toward me.

After we straighten out the sitch, as I'm going back to the plate, the defensive coach asks me why my partner asked me for help because he had the better angle.

I'm still laughing.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thats a good one and cant top it.. but my biggest laugh is going to be in about 45 mins..

Beer league had a coup and went ASA in my area. SO I helped them get registered ASA.

TOnight is the meeting with the umpires... which I really dont know a lot about slow pitch other than 6/12 and hit the mat.

I gotta go in there to the pizza place and break the news to each of these beer guzzlers "umpires" they gotta cough up 50 bucks each or the league field insurance is no good.

I spoke with my commish and he assured me that he would just let me handle it...

How sweet of him.

I'm in starbucks milking their wifi and a coffee until the show down at the round table coral.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 08:00pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Thats a good one and cant top it.. but my biggest laugh is going to be in about 45 mins..

Beer league had a coup and went ASA in my area. SO I helped them get registered ASA.

TOnight is the meeting with the umpires... which I really dont know a lot about slow pitch other than 6/12 and hit the mat.

I gotta go in there to the pizza place and break the news to each of these beer guzzlers "umpires" they gotta cough up 50 bucks each or the league field insurance is no good.

I spoke with my commish and he assured me that he would just let me handle it...

How sweet of him.

I'm in starbucks milking their wifi and a coffee until the show down at the round table coral.
I know some Slo-pitch Blues that are ASA registered in a non-ASA league, because of the great insurance. [I assume the insurance still covers sports officiating in all athletic events with the only exception being *non-ASA softball games*.]

I also know some non-ASA umps that are not beer guzzlers.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I know some Slo-pitch Blues that are ASA registered in a non-ASA league, because of the great insurance. [I assume the insurance still covers sports officiating in all athletic events with the only exception being *non-ASA softball games*.]

I also know some non-ASA umps that are not beer guzzlers.
Then they are wasting the money. ASA insurance covers ASA umpires while working/attending an ASA-sanctioned/approved event.

Are you sure they aren't ASA-registered teams using other rules?
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Not about insurance, but topic is laughs.
Aside from the new “not a strike” rules (too close to batter, her glove was on the ground, and “you gotta give her that”), a little story.

While waiting out a rain delay, one ump was telling a story about a coach arguing with him, then the coach losing his breath and having to lie down in the dugout from weakness and chest pains. Ambulance called and turned out he had a mild heart attack.

After one ump tried to get a laugh by asking if it happened in dead ball territory, another said “You’re killing me, blue”.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

I had a sit. in a 8U NSA game Batter on second on out. Batter hits a pop up on the infield - third base some how catches the ball. Runner on second is going on contact and gets to third about the same time the third basemen returns to third base. Both of them touching third base inches appart but F5 dosn't know to tag the runner.

This league has both offensive and defensive coaches on the field at the same time. Both are SCREAMING at their respective players: "TAG HER!!!!" "GO BACK TO SECOND!!!!!!" etc etc. This goes on for 15 seconds before the runner returns slowly to second base. F5 looks and me and says "time Mr. Blue". I grant her request to which she says "I wish Daddy quit yellin' at me!"

Pretty funny.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

This weekend-

1 out.. I'm BU - everyone knows its one out, its been announced, its on the score board.. We are using a "real" paid score keeper and a real life lighted scoreboard and everything.

So long inning... still one out... la la la

All of sudden Scorekeeper tells PU there are two outs. So he announces two outs. I have one out (he doesnt ask me). Any way, a little confusion sets in but we move on and we take a batter who gets on base. The cloudy minds on the field and the benches start of chorus of how many outs.. 1 out or 2 outs.. some thinking 1, some thinking 2. PU is confused, talking with score keeper and a manager or 3. I'm in C kicking some rocks and drawing stuff in the dirt with my shoe.

Left field keeps asking me how many outs. I keep telling him: "I got one but they think two, relax while they sort it out." or ignoring him or telling him I dont know. So it goes on some more minutes (he still never asks me and I never provide input) .. here comes left field again, still 200 feet out .. jeez the guy doesnt give up ..

"Blue, 1 outs or 2".

I turn around at him - "LOOK STOP ASKING ME, I said I dont know! You play left field!" So he laughs and I resume my watching in wonderment that they never ask me, besides I got stuff to draw - my clicker still has the answer though- there is 1 out.

FINALLY they agree on 1 out and resume play.

Me to Left field "See I told you there was 1 out".

Maybe you had to be there.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 01:44am.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 09:34am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Off topic insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Then they are wasting the money. ASA insurance covers ASA umpires while working/attending an ASA-sanctioned/approved event.

Are you sure they aren't ASA-registered teams using other rules?
BollingerASA
  • Covers and sport your umpires officiate
  • Accident, liability and game fee insurance
  • $22.00 per year per official
Does not cover Non-ASA, except HS, JC, college, and SCMAF

http://www.bollingerasa.com/softball...ial%202009.pdf
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Yes, but that is an extra cost add-on, not the standard insurance that comes with registering with ASA as an umpire, and it must be purchased through your association (you cannot purchase it directly from ASA/Bolinger).
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
BollingerASA
  • Covers and sport your umpires officiate
  • Accident, liability and game fee insurance
  • $22.00 per year per official
Does not cover Non-ASA, except HS, JC, college, and SCMAF

http://www.bollingerasa.com/softball...ial%202009.pdf
Tom is correct, that is the "Sports Officials" insurance, not the standard which is included in your registration. However, that insurance only covers ASA-approved events.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 10:15am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Tom and Mike,
Thanks!
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Since this has morphed into an insurance thread, if you officiate high school sports (any sport), check your insurance from that. The insurance we get through NFHS/MSHSL (also from Bollinger) covers us for any amateur sport so long as that sport is a varsity sport in the state. IOW, I would covered as an official for every MN varsity sport from alpine skiing to wrestling, youth or adult, for whatever sanctioning organization or sponsorship, so long as it was not a professional game/match. But, I would not be covered for water polo, since that is not a varsity sport in MN.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Since this has morphed into an insurance thread, if you officiate high school sports (any sport), check your insurance from that. The insurance we get through NFHS/MSHSL (also from Bollinger) covers us for any amateur sport so long as that sport is a varsity sport in the state. IOW, I would covered as an official for every MN varsity sport from alpine skiing to wrestling, youth or adult, for whatever sanctioning organization or sponsorship, so long as it was not a professional game/match. But, I would not be covered for water polo, since that is not a varsity sport in MN.
Damn, you mean I wasn't covered when I worked the pro ski tour at Alpine Meadows in Tahoe and Jiminy Peak in Hancock?
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Damn, you mean I wasn't covered when I worked the pro ski tour at Alpine Meadows in Tahoe and Jiminy Peak in Hancock?
Sure you were! You have your own professional liability coverage, don't you? I mean, who doesn't?

I need to talk to my wife about that (she does insurance)...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 02:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Thanks, Tom.
I find that interesting and will glean some information.