Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snocatzdad View Post
I have a different BOO question. Assume a standard 1-9 lineup no dp/flex

Batter #4 comes up when #3 is suppossed to be up and completes an at bat at which point the DC notes the BOO.

If Batter #4 reached base then Batter #3 is declared out, Runners all return, and Batter #4 is up again.
Correct

Quote:
If Batter #4 was out then Batter #3 is declared out (only one out though not two outs) and batter #5 is now up.
Correct, for the BOO. #4 is also out, which would be the second out.

Quote:
This seems confusing to me, I would think Batter #4 should be up again regardless of the result of her at bat, but the way I read ASA 7.2.D.2.Exception that places #5 up next.
Why? It isn't the defense's fault the wrong batter hit into an out. ASA may be the only one with this exception, but it makes all the sense in the world.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

It makes sense now that I understand both players are out due to the "all outs stand" portion of the rule preceding the exception. I was confused reading the execption because it didn't specifically restate that the out on the OOO batter stands as well.

Is the "negate" term interpreted correct for NFHS in the post preceding? such that it would not be two outs for NFHS in this same situation? That's what my confusion is here, using terms like "negate" "skip" with "all outs stand" needs clarification IMO.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snocatzdad View Post
It makes sense now that I understand both players are out due to the "all outs stand" portion of the rule preceding the exception. I was confused reading the execption because it didn't specifically restate that the out on the OOO batter stands as well.

Is the "negate" term interpreted correct for NFHS in the post preceding? such that it would not be two outs for NFHS in this same situation? That's what my confusion is here, using terms like "negate" "skip" with "all outs stand" needs clarification IMO.
I'm not sure how to map the terms. But your conclusion is right. ASA double play. Everywhere else, the correct batter is out on appeal.
________
MEDICALMARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:11pm.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Let me muddy the water on this; there are three different rules out there on related plays. R1 is on 2nd, R2 on 1st with no outs, B3 supposed to bat, but B4 bats instead, and hits into a 6-4-3 double play. DC appeals BOO before the next pitch.

ASA ruling; keep all outs, so R2 out in force, B3 out on BOO, B4 out on the play. Three outs, B5 bats leadoff next inning.

NFHS ruling; keep all "OTHER" outs EXCEPT the incorrect batter, so R2 out on force, R1 returns to 2nd (advance negated), B3 out on BOO, B4 play negated. Two outs, B4 bats (again) with R1 on 2nd.

NCAA ruling; negate all play, so R1 returns to 2nd, R2 returns to 1st, B3 out on BOO, B4 play negated. One out, B4 now bats with R1 on 2nd and R2 1st.

Now, how can all three major associations have 3 different rulings on a basic rule? But, they do; and if the NCAA coach makes the appeal, it hurts the offended team!!
Old Thu Nov 26, 2009, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Let me muddy the water on this; there are three different rules out there on related plays. R1 is on 2nd, R2 on 1st with no outs, B3 supposed to bat, but B4 bats instead, and hits into a 6-4-3 double play. DC appeals BOO before the next pitch.

ASA ruling; keep all outs, so R2 out in force, B3 out on BOO, B4 out on the play. Three outs, B5 bats leadoff next inning.

NFHS ruling; keep all "OTHER" outs EXCEPT the incorrect batter, so R2 out on force, R1 returns to 2nd (advance negated), B3 out on BOO, B4 play negated. Two outs, B4 bats (again) with R1 on 2nd.

NCAA ruling; negate all play, so R1 returns to 2nd, R2 returns to 1st, B3 out on BOO, B4 play negated. One out, B4 now bats with R1 on 2nd and R2 1st.

Now, how can all three major associations have 3 different rulings on a basic rule? But, they do; and if the NCAA coach makes the appeal, it hurts the offended team!!
That's my favorite umpire trivia question for casual fans.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2009, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
That's my favorite umpire trivia question for casual fans.
When ASA first introduced this rule, I was sure it would be something I would never see.

First game of the year, first batter gets on, then B3 hits into a double play. An unbelievably alert coach brought the BOO to my attention and, sure enough, I had three outs on two pitches!

Love the ASA rule.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2009, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

if the NCAA coach makes the appeal, it hurts the offended team!!

Yes. NCAA follows OBR. Your description of the way ASA, Fed, and NCAA deal with the play is correct.

Obviously, it can never be to the disadvantage of the defense to appeal BOO in ASA. In Fed, appealing could be to the disadvantage of the defense (R1 on 1B, B3 bats instead of B2 and hits into a double play). In OBR/NCAA, there are many situations in which the defense is better off saying nothing, as well as plays in which the defense would want to consider the options.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post

What would happen if the offensive coach discovered that his team batted out of order? Could he "appeal" before the next pitch? That would be to his advantage.

I don't do NCAA, but I think that if the coach discovered someone batting out of order during an AB, the correct batter could step in and assume the ball and strike count.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
What would happen if the offensive coach discovered that his team batted out of order? Could he "appeal" before the next pitch? That would be to his advantage.
Don't know about other assns, but in ASA only the defense may appeal BOO. (7.2.C.Effect)

Quote:
I don't do NCAA, but I think that if the coach discovered someone batting out of order during an AB, the correct batter could step in and assume the ball and strike count.
I don't believe the BOO is actually a done-deal until the improper batter completes his/her turn at bat.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
No. Only if the OC discovers the error during the at bat.

Quote:
That's true in all codes.