The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Interference @ Plate ?

Can someone please state clearly as well as reference a rule as to when on a play at the plate between the catcher and a runner is considered 'interference' vs. 'obstruction' vs. 'incidental contact - (as they say in socer) play on'

(1) Runner coming around to score is heading towards home and of course is not looking back at the ball. The throw is up the line and the catcher runs up the line to catch the ball and runs into the runner. Result: Runner is knocked off his path......

Ruling: Obstruction ?

(2) Same play, ball gets to the catcher a split second prior to the runner and the runner runs into the catcher.....Result: catcher drops ball; runner scores

Ruling: Interference ?

(3) Same play, ball and runner get to the catcher @ approximately the same time and there is a collision (catcher is in the proper position on/in front of the plat)....Result: catcher drops ball; runner scores

Ruling: Incidental contact; play continues.

Please direct me to the ASA rule(s) that apply?

Thanks
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd41flpk View Post
(1) runner coming around to score is heading towards home and of course is not looking back at the ball. The throw is up the line and the catcher runs up the line to catch the ball and runs into the runner. Result: Runner is knocked off his path......

Ruling: Obstruction ?
ASA Rule 8-5-B
Quote:
(2) same play, ball gets to the catcher a split second prior to the runner and the runner runs into the catcher.....result: Catcher drops ball; runner scores

ruling: Interference ?
8-7-Q

Quote:
(3) same play, ball and runner get to the catcher @ approximately the same time and there is a collision (catcher is in the proper position on/in front of the plat)....result: Catcher drops ball; runner scores

ruling: Incidental contact; play continues.
RS13-G

Last edited by Dakota; Sat May 30, 2009 at 10:41pm.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Contact @ Plate

Thanks much for the rules clarifications.....

Let me start from the bottom up:

(3) Rules Supplement 13.G - spells the 'incidental contact' out perfectly !

(2) Rule 8-7-Q - It is quite clear that (no matter the time involved) if the defensive player has the ball PRIOR to the (crash flavor) contact by the offensive player and their is contact...the onus is on the offensive player to avoid contact - hence, this is definitely Interference.

(1) Rule 8-5-B The rule definitely describes the essence of OBS; so it would seem that the catcher w/o the ball has the onus of avoiding the offensive player. However; when I read Rules Supplement 36.B - I interpret some 'grey area' - '.....Not in the act of fielding a ball.....' In my scenario, the catcher is in fact 'in the act of fielding the ball'. Yet I believe that this was in fact changed a while ago? I do believe that this is OBS; yet this statement definitely leads to some questions?

Any help with this interpretation is appreciated.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
However; when I read Rules Supplement 36.B - I interpret some 'grey area' - '.....Not in the act of fielding a ball.....' In my scenario, the catcher is in fact 'in the act of fielding the ball'. Yet I believe that this was in fact changed a while ago? I do believe that this is OBS; yet this statement definitely leads to some questions?

Any help with this interpretation is appreciated.
Not in the act of fielding the ball refers to fielding a batted ball. In the act of fielding a thrown ball does not protect the defense from obstruction.